1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[work advice] Facing bullying, should I stay at my current job?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by W22_STREAK, Jul 19, 2015.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

2. rocketry

rocketry Member

Nice reading comprehension.

3. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Stop bein a *****

4. Nook

Nook Member

No failure is reading comprehension.

The guy stopped it 5 months ago. At this point it is on the OP if for no other reason than he is still letting it have a profound impact on his life. There is no victim shaming at this point, It is not normal to have that reaction almost a half year later.

I do agree with you advise to be proactive and attempt to conquer the issue for his own well being.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with being a new job even if you haven't been there that long.

Just don't make job hopping a pattern

6. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

If you have good disability insurance, take a leave of absence and go on disability. You'd have to seek out a medical professional though, and have them verify that what's happening is causing problems for you at work. You can take several years off even, and get paid for it. While you are off, you can keep looking for jobs.

7. arjun

arjun Member

STOP!

Please, do not let this get under your skin. If it does, which it definitely seems like, QUIT!!!! find another job man. screw loyalty and all that to your boss.

8. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Don't let that ****er scare of bully you.. beat his ass...

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Sorry, this doesn't sound plausible at all.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

If you are losing sleep over something like this, then that's on you. You should not be focusing your efforts on how to deal with coworker with bad humor. You should concentrate your efforts on figuring out why you waste brain power contemplating anything this person says. Learn to internalize your problems.

Now if hes actually hindering your ability to do your job and progress in the company, then quit.

11. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

If someone disrespects you with racism and stuff like that, react immediately. Get in his face and let him know you aren't going to stand for it. Luckily this isn't prison so it's very unlikely he takes it any farther than that. 99% chance he treats you with respect every day after that.

People want to test you to see where you're mind is at. You can't just allow people to run all over you and keep you from being comfortable at work.

12. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Maybe. But, I know a woman who hasn't worked in 2 years due to stress. And, she is still considered an employee of the company and taking an extended leave of absence.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Some of the posts in this thread are AWFUL and illustrate how racism is an accepted behaviour in this society. And yes the jokes that man said are under no circumstances acceptable and are pure racistic.

This. When someone says something like this to you OP how do you react? Do you just smile and or lower your eyes?
    You must make immediate known that you wont' accept such jokes and won't tolerate bullying.

Also you seem to be traumatised by this whole situation. Some people here seem to be completely devoid of empathy. You seem to be a very young person and probably have not been in a situation like this before.
    The first thing you must tell yourself is that it is not your fault and you should not let the bully win by either destroying your health and well being or quit a good job opportunity.
    We all live and learn. This is another of lifes treasured experience. Take this ordeal as an opportunity to learn to deal with such adversities.
    Talk to someone a friend or a parent or if you can afford it a professional.
    You can't let this continue by destroying your health.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yeah, I think there's more to it than a piece of paper with the word "stress" on it garnering a multi-year paid leave of absence and retention in an at-will state. No way this is applicable for an ostensibly healthy young man with barely a year in tenure.

15. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

I don't really know all the details as to what she told them. But, I spoke to her and basically she told me that she was written up for performance issues, which caused her an incredible amount of stress to the point where she could not realistically pass her action plan. Then she went to the doctor and he wrote her a letter that said she was too stressed out to work. And, she has to go to the doctor every couple of months to get a new note. This person was a low level hourly employee if that makes any difference.

16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

So why did they name you Steve?

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Tell me about it.

OP, you need to leave this company, hit the reset button and land somewhere else. It's apparent you will never get over what has happened.

A long time ago I was bullied and scapegoated on the job by someone with a higher job grade. It was awful. I didn't really "get over it" until leaving that department after getting a promotion.

Your #1 priority should be finding another job.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Um, you need to quietly record as much of it as possible.

Then you need to report it to HR but don't reveal your recordings.

If it continues keep taking record of it.

You can sue the company and cash out big time.

It is the companies responsibility to provide a safe work atmosphere for you. If they cannot do that, you are entitled to compensation.

19. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

You should really talk to someone who you know, and has a vested interest in your health and happiness. Everyone in this thread has probably already forgotten about your problem. Good luck.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Document and follow employee handbook policy. File an HR report.