1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wood is underrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Apr 29, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its in plain sight all over your thread (and almost every other thread on the front page BTW)! LOL Its cool. I dont get personally invested in strange hills to defend or need to draw battle lines over draft pick or fringe starter, but watching loaded questions about 2 way players in a grandstanding thread about Christian Wood (?) and peoples "big board" for the Rockets without a Paolo scenario is just amusing to me thats all - and if any sanity should be questioned it would be thinking Wood is a must have and better long term than ANY of the possible replacements in this draft. For you to label it as propaganda tells me even more! Cant wait for draft night. Its going to be awesome.

D-rock likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

On a contending team, with a real coach and teammates who will hold him accountable, Wood will be a monster. What we are doing right now is literally a worst case scenario for a player with his mindset. He's a path of least resistance player.

I'm honestly surprised one of the contenders didn't make more of an effort to get him at the deadline. We saw a small window of what he could do early in his first season with us. He was a big reason we played so well after we traded Harden. Then he got hurt, Wall got selfish and everything went to s**t. Once he came back he showed no real effort and readily joined in on the half ass basketball.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'm not surprised contending teams weren't making offers for a player who's pouted, showed no effort for stretches of games, played hero ball most of the season, and is entering a contract year.

xaos, Denovo, aaquaa and 3 others like this.
  5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's a nice supporting player with some unique skills for his size. But he clearly is not a 1 or 2 option on a good team and he doesn't fit this situation.

groovemachine and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

As much as you love Stone, Stone loves Wood.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Heat were interested.

Stone was not selling.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

sure, for the right price anyone would take a chance on him, but that price was too low by Stone's assessment. I think contenders will offer a value commensurate with a one year rental. a team who wants to resign wood is more likely to offer something more valuable, and stone was right to wait for that kind of offer.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You dont like Stone either? LOL so out with Silas and out with Stone? Whats not to like? He absolutely killed last years draft. He fleeced Brooklyn and he fleeced Miami. Geez talk about a short leash! :D

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Stone needs to fire Silas if they land a star in this draft. They need a better coach.

Denovo and D-rock like this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont necessarily disagree with that, but again whats the rush? This team is still about 2-3 years from their splash. Let Silas play Bo Porter for another year or two and then shoot for a big name coach while at the same time finding a tier 1 free agent.

Seems like all our rookies flourished towards the end of the year in my eyes. Not sure how many coaches would have been deemed "successful" with the dynamic at play with a super young team and a roster with some touch needy vets making sure they keep themselves relevant for other teams. It was a tank job through and through, but more organic and I think both Stone and Silas knew that. I'd probably expect more of the same next year myself.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Stone doesn't care to surround himself with the best then he will not last long.

Because Stone is certainly far from the best at his position as it is.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

And you know this after one year???

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sure.

I'm certain that Stone is not the best at his position.

Can he be? Perhaps but he sure isn't right now.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Seems to me that maybe you're just holding a grudge because he didnt draft Mobley? Stone was the one who traded for Chris Wood though. Stone's eye for talent found KMJ and Tate. He recycled decent vets in Oladipo and Olynyk. Not holding onto Allen or Levert is not a bad move in my eyes when you take into account the youth movement and the obvious tear down and rebuild. Stone found KPJ. Take away the controversy from the first pick last year - How Stone worked that draft was beautiful. He fleeced Brooklyn in the Harden trade. He has picked up several other first rounders along the way. Won the Miami trade. Other than Wall no bad contracts. Not sure what there is to dislike, but sure if its the Ricky Bobby way of life "if you're not first then you're last" then Stone is a bad GM that should be replaced. Lucky for us thats not how any of this works.

16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

We shouldn't be, he's our best player.

17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Which demonstrates a huge deficiency of high level talent on this team. On a playoff team Wood is your 3rd, hopefully 4th best player if a contender. He was brought in to play alongside Harden and Wall, he’s not part of the future.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Jalen will eclipse his touches and impact starting next year - as it should be.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member