1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Women coming to the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jsonic6, Dec 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think Dirk was spot on. Obviously women can pass, dribble and shoot as well as men, but the strongest female out there may not be strong enough to play day to day in the NBA.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Annika Sorenstam? Michelle Wie?

I think a women can be a kicker in football, goalie in hockey. Pinch runner in baseball, possible relief pitcher.

I actually think a world class speedy woman might can be a wide receiver. I mean world class. Marion Jones would be faster than Kevin Walter, would just depend if she could run routes, catch a football, take a hit, and fight off the defenders hands that attempt to grab her.

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I can't help but be reminded of that time in baseball when some team tried to use an Olympic sprinter as a pinch-runner, only to see it massively fail as he had no baseball sense at all ie. when to steal, how far to get from the bag, etc. Just because a person is fast does not mean they can be a wide receiver obviously.
    And seriously, the idea of women in basketball is r****ded. They don't let women in ping pong, tennis, baseball, heck even golf, and you think they can compete in basketball? Get real.

4. Steve_Francis_rules

You think the ideal match-up for a woman playing in the NBA would be guarding an Aaron Brooks-type player? Someone so quick that there are probably only a couple of men in the entire league that can stay in front of him without help?

Good luck with that.

5. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

If a woman is ever allowed to play the NBA I will no longer watch..

6. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball...Local_S_web_only_lakers_notes_07.46182ce.html

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

People really have a problem with women coming to an NBA game to watch ?

:confused:

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

[​IMG]

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

tracy will prove all you doubters wrong

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

good story. i could see it happening if, like they said, the female equivalent of Lebron happened to come around in the next 10 years. At this point, that hypothetical person might be able to play in an NBA rotation. Lebron is a physical freak of nature. There could be a female version of that..

11. theimpossibles1

20 yrs. in the future.......

Delinda Williams backs in on JaQuon James. "TWEET!!!" Referee Joey Crawford Jr. blows his digital whistle. JaQuon throws his hands up in frustration. Without so much as a gesture from Crawford, an image of James shows up on the giant TV screen (which is projected onto thin air). below it, the words "Sexual Harassment." Williams shoots 2.......

12. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

this would never happen. No matter how good of a player a woman is, she may be great against other woman but against bigger and stronger men would just be impossible. A pg in the wnba is around 5'4-5'9 and centers are like 6'5. This is just impossible. Woman just don't have the athletic ability, size, and strength to hang with the men in the Nba. Can you imagine Candice Parker trying to hold Kobe?

Yea, Brian Cook would be an All Star, in the WNBA.

13. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

No that is not possible. Women don't have the generics like Men. Its the testosterone that makes men who we are. Women can be strong, but they just cannot hang with Lebron or Kobe, or even Brian cook.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't doubt that some players in the WNBA have better basketball IQ than some players in the NBA but the problem lies physically. How would you give a woman a hard foul without looking like a girl beater?

15. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Kicker in football? Impossible - not nearly enough leg strength/hip flexor speed. Stop disrespecting kickers.

Pinch runner in baseball? Why, when there are 20 guys on every college campus that are faster than Marion Jones?

By the way, Marion Jones is 5'10, 150 pounds. Someone jamming her would knock her five feet off her route.

Btw, for a comparison of sprinter speed to football speed, Darrell Greene ran a 4.09. His best college 100m time was 10.08. I wouldn't be surprised if every speed player on the Texans would be faster on the field than Marion Jones. (She might beat some of them on a track)

Goalie has been proven at a very low level - collegiate ice hockey. Relief pitcher? You are out of your mind.

16. halfling131

halfling131 Member

To add to this, last time I checked Wie was extremely unimpressive at golf in general and Sorenstam may be good but golf doesn't require nearly the same amount of physical athleticism that many other sports do.