1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woman Swaps Letters for Candy on Halloween

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Oct 30, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree there is a big problem with obesity put this just seems too self-righteous.

http://www.today.com/moms/swapping-letters-candy-trick-or-treat-8C11493000

Woman swaps letters for candy in obesity fight

ome children may be getting more trick than treat when they collect their candy this Halloween.

According to reports, a woman in Fargo, North Dakota says she'll be handing out letters, instead of sweet treats, to children she believes are "moderately obese."

In an interview with Y-94 Radio in Fargo, she explained her reasoning behind her letters.

"I just want to send a message to the parents of kids that are really overweight," she said. "I think it's just really irresponsible of parents to send them out looking for free candy just 'cause all the other kids are doing it."

[​IMG]

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

We used to get the devil pamphlets from one house; then we'd head over to Trinity Episcopal for more candy. If you extrapolate from age 7 or 8, some of those kids are in for trouble down the road.

3. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Emotional scars...they last forever, breh.

4. ILoveWhiteGirls

That's fuct up...

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I had heard about stuff like that as a kid but I always got candy, or some fruit in a few cases. There was a really good King of the Hill episode about that where an uber religious woman convinced Arlen to ban Halloween and Hank rebelled by going trick or treating and turning his house into "Hank Hell House".

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Just wondering how many kids still go trick or treating? I know my cousins don't and it seems like there are very few in my neighborhood that do.

When I was a kid the paranoia about razor blades in candy was starting and hospitals were offering free X-rays for candy. I think now with all of the paranoia about stranger danger that many families don't trick or treat any more.

7. Asian Sensation

I remember when I was a kid one year one of the houses in the neighborhood gave out bananas. I think I might do that this year.

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

That lady need help.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I suspect she'll be cleaning egg stains off her house for weeks.

10. smr6

smr6 Member

That's was my first thought as well.

11. Nook

Nook Member

A couple of observations....

She is self rightous and children are not fat because of Halloween. Children are fat because of the other 364 days. The consumption of highly processed, carbohydrate rich foods that are easy and cheap cause obesity. Further, the lack of physical activity does not help.

She really should expect a few very angry parents knocking on her door. If she doesn't want to give candy to fat kids, then don't answer the door.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

While child obesity is a problem and parents are largely to blame, the odds of this having any affect on the way those parents feed their kids is 0%. You're not really doing any good, you're just pissing people off.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Whatever happened to being that a-hole who gave out toothbrushes?

14. Nook

Nook Member

"Happy Halloween Neighbors!

I know that your home is paid by section 8. As a result you should not be spending your limited funds on foolish non-necessities such as a Halloween costume. As a result I cannot reward such behavior and will not be giving your children candy.

Hopefully in the future you will be a responsible citizen and parent, and teach your children the value of a dollar

Thank you"

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Typical North Dakota State Bison fan.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Emotional bully pretending to be a concerned citizen.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There will be and egg shortage in West Fargo

18. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

She's taking more initiative than me. I was just going to call them fatty fat fat and slam the door on their face.

19. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

How about let these kids worry about "fixing" their diet some other time and let the kids enjoy their Halloween like it's supposed to be. If this women would've known any better, one night of binging on candy is not going to make or break you.

20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ima_drummer2k again.