1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WojYahooNBA] T-Mac for Butler?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matt Maloney, Jan 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rockets_fanatic

They are probably the reason for why the Kings won't move him for Tracy McGrady. It isn't like teh Kings have expressed interest in making a trade, therefore he isn't an option.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I have just one reason that will knock all those to the basement floor, HE IS WAY TOO INJURED WAY TOO OFTEN!

I'd rather have a durable proven All Star in CB over one dimensional shooter/scorer like Martin. Butler can not only score but he also plays gritty defense, fits right in. ;)

In my mind, if 3 deals are on the table one from Sac surrounding Martin, second from Philly surrounding Iggy, and the third from DC surroundiung Butler.

I'm thinking Morey will automatically cancel out Sac's offer by default plus they've already stated that the franchise is getting back on its feet and want to see how he works with Evans.

Then Morey looks at the players surrounding the trades for Iggy and Butler. Would you rather have a bloated Dalembert contract to work with or possibly a few exprirings in Haywood or Mike James and even Mike Miller? I'm thinking he'd go with the latter by process of elimination.

In other words: Winner = Wizards! Hooray!!!! :grin:

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

That's just a stupid attitude. Tracy's contract will be worth something to somebody once the reality of some teams' financial situations set in. Hold on til the trade deadline and make sure you improve the team. What does getting Butler do to improve the team?

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i hope you're kidding about being barely better....butler has all-star talent, ariza doesnt. Not right now anyway.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Time will tell. I'm might be wrong,but it's not going to be easy. GM's will ask for our young players along with him,of that I'm almost certain. Butler isn't going to be enough to propel us into a championship contender,but he is a pretty good player when healthy. I have my doubts if he can play throughout a full season next year,and fitting in this year will take time.

6. Durrby

Durrby Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Morey hasn't already spoken to the Hawks about which players they are interested in for Joe Johnson. I'm sure if he can make a trade happen for one of the players the Hawks would take, Morey will make a 3-way trade happen. That might be one of the reasons Morey is interested in Iggy because his contract is comparable to JJ's.

Even though Atlanta is having a good season this year they can't afford to risk having JJ walk this summer without getting anything in return. JJ has already turned down a $60M contract extension and said that he is going to explore the free agent market. Iggy would be a good fit for the Hawks as well as the Rockets.

Something to keep in mind.

1 person likes this.
  7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

That's an interesting point, indeed.

8. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Would anyone here actually prefer Butler to Iggy? And if so, why?

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i still dont see many proposals involving Arenas. Butler is BAIT. Bait to get houston to bite on a player they normally wouldnt. Houston likes butler. All of the young guys the wiz have with small contracts are also favorable to houston. Therefore butler wouldnt be a bait in any of the scenarios y'all keep presenting. Y'all need to include Arenas in every deal, or maybe even Jamison, but jamison hasnt done anything wrong to get him shipped out, so Arenas is the key here.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

His contract is SIGNIFICANTLY more cap friendly.

He can be acquired along with other smaller expiring contracts instead of cap killing contracts.

Trading for Butler will make it significantly more likely that the Rockets could afford to re-sign Scola and Lowry than it would be with Iguodala and whatever other garbage the Rockets have to take on to get him.

I hope these reasons are good enough for you. Or you could read the rest of the thread. :p

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yup, same thing with Philly. Cant mention Iguodala without Brand or Dalembert.

12. forchette49

Besides the contract, I'm referring to just the players themselves. Acquiring Iggy would most likely require the help of a third team to bring back yet another expiring contract to help us extend our FAs this summer, but in doing so, I'm convinced that we could generate the necessary capspace.

But again, referring to just the players themselves, I see Butler being older, a worse shooter, and a more natural SF...

13. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

Yes, absolutely. Butler is more of a complete player. He can do a little bit of everything. He gets to loose balls and he can even defend fairly well. Iggy is just really athletic and a slasher/scorer.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Okay . . . if we stripped away their contracts and any related circumstances necessary to acquire them, then yes, Iguodala would be a better player to get than Butler.

On a related note, if my uncle didn't have testicles and a "Y" chromosome, he'd be my aunt.

15. forchette49

This is more what I was looking for, but can he start at SG for us? Do his shooting %s worry you at all? He turns 30 in 2 months btw...

16. forchette49

So, then I take it you don't agree with Vinsanity's latest post on the subject?

17. rockets_fanatic

Unless we are building to win a Championship without Yao, Scola and Battier, I'd say his age is irrelevant. He has 2 years left on his contract. If we with Yao can't win next year or the way after, we don't have to re-sign him.

18. forchette49

Good point, I guess you view him more as a stop-gap solution than anything else. I suppose I'm just looking for the next "franchise" or "image" player for us considering we are going to be giving T-Mac up to get him...

19. herro

herro Member

I'd say you've got it all wrong

Butler is the slasher/scorer

Iguodala is a far better rebounder, passer, and a solid defender himself

20. forchette49

See this is what I mean, I really don't follow the Wiz and Sixers all that close to know the ins and outs of their games like I know all the Rockets players. Highlights are highlights, but I'm trying to be excited in acquiring Butler just in case getting Iggy is an absolute pipedream... Butler seems like a natural 3, and with Battier and Ariza on team, I wonder if we can't do better...