1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Wojnarowski on MEM trade, Lebron's future (disses Hollinger)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hmmm. So I'm supposed to believe the Super Team era is over because 2 small market teams didn't wanna pony up? I'm supposed to believe it's over because OKC couldn't afford 4 guys (they paid 3 of them, just couldn't pay 4 and chose the big over the wing). If that team was in NY (Nets or Knicks) or LA that core would still be together. I'm supposed to believe it's over because Memphis didn't want to pay Gay $19M? I'm supposed to believe it's over when the Lakers have a payroll over $100M? Sure buddy....

If he really believes the super teams are done then I wanna see what he says in 2014 when all of the Lakers players come off the books and they can go shopping.

2. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

It's tagged, Wojnarowski. Unless the Tag is spelled incorrectly.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

If Hollinger did once consult on the Spurs signing Butler, and he also had a big hand in making these last two deals, then I believe he's improved over the past years. The Rudy Gay trade was actually quite good. And the salary dump onto Cleveland had just good enough protection(top 5) so that Memphis won't miss out on any superstar potential prospect. Overall, the logic is fairly reasonable and they don't really miss out in contention because of it. All while getting out of that albatross and avoid the luxury tax.

Given that mandate from the owner, Memphis came out as well as they possibly could.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I have to say Wojo is about as reliable as any sports reporter ever. However, yes he does seem to be prone to jealousy. I will say this, Wojo tells us how he feels.

I do not think that Hollinger will do a good job long term. His models are simplistic and out dated, and I also believe that the Grizz ownership is more interested in saving money than winning.

The Grizz did "ok" in the trade of Gay, however Davis will be a free agent soon enough and they did not really get any of the draft picks that they coveted. Prince is a huge defensive upgrade but there is no way Memphis can keep up with teams like San Antonio, OKC and GS. The league is changing and the Grizz are a dinosaur. They will be ultimately run off the court before reaching the Finals.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

OKC didn't pay for three... Ibaka signed at well under max level. And in reality, he's not a star. Very nice complimentary piece. As for New York, they let a promising young player and marketing sensation (Lin) walk for zero compensation because they were that afraid of the tax. Same for the Bulls and Asik -- well, not the marketing sensation part, but they knew he was a very good player that they had control over. Yesterday, Memphis dealt Gay even after avoiding the tax in the short-term with the panic Cleveland trade. It's clear the tax is driving a lot of decisions, even for bigger franchises. The one exception is the Lakers, and even they know it's a two-year window until all their big contracts are cleared.

Meanwhile, on the player side, it's obvious that 5th year (which you can't get on a team with two others) is a big issue as well. The difference in the OKC/Houston offers for Harden wasn't all that big when you compared them over four years. It was the fifth year that Houston could offer and OKC couldn't that drove the decision.

I don't know that it will never happen again, but the landscape is definitely changing and it's much less likely than before.

No, it's not. Did you not pay attention in 2009 and 2010? LeBron doesn't do any of this stuff himself, at least not until that week in July. He has a very tight inner circle that he trusts to advise him and lay the groundwork. Rich Paul is the single most important person in his life. This is a pretty big deal.

For those of you complaining about the "drama" or "sensationalism", where have you been? That's what defines the modern NBA era. LeBron in 2010, Dwight all last year... these stars and their inner circles hold all the power and are always thinking ahead as to how they can best use it. I love Woj's columns precisely because they're very well reasoned. Instead of selling out like Chris Broussard and trying to turn anything and everything into a "scoop", Woj has a big-picture mindset and explains how one individual move may influence the league going forward. I'm glad he does.

If there's one word that describes the SuperFriends era of the NBA, it's drama. Maybe some of you don't like it, but that's the reality. At least one reporter is willing to tell it like it is.

1 person likes this.
  6. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Seconded. PER was an early innovation, but it treats every steal, rebound, and basket identically regardless of game situation. The Synergy data, and even the 82games.com data are now far beyond this. It's hard to imagine he has an analytic edge over Morey or any of the other like-minded GMs. My guess is that Memphis management were noobs looking for help in statistical analysis, and that Hollinger had the most noob-friendly sales pitch.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Spurs traded Scola as a favor to Scola so he could play in the NBA. And Butler's contract was not big -- they could have just eaten it -- and was necessary to make the trade work because the rights to Scola didn't have any salary attached. That's some terrible freaking journalism.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed.

9. Nook

Nook Member

If they are so well constructed, where will they get their buckets from when the pace picks up? The league is changing and teams have to be able to play fast and slow.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hollinger is smart about basketball and thoroughly logical with his analysis. He's not always right, but no one is. Its not like NBA front offices across the league are teeming with brilliant minds.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

This was back when paying LT was not an option for the Spurs. Their owner's decision.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I checked out the new owner and little did i know that he was a tech billionaire in his kid thirties.

If he's Cuban like he'll bide his tinge for the right OP

13. DreamRoxCoogFan

I had no idea people hated Woj this much. Every article he writes is a must-read for me. Great, great journalist in every sense of the word. He does his research, his sources are the best, and his opinions are honest and unfiltered. You can't show me a better writer on the NBA.

14. what

what Member

LOL dude. It don't matter what I say you take the opposite. And by the way, having a team that can play both up and down and half court has always been desired in the NBA, but generally half court basketball and defense takes over in the playoffs. Both of which the grizzlies have.

15. SacTown

SacTown Member

I don't think LeBron will ever leave Miami.

16. FanOnGessner

FanOnGessner Member

lol what.....

17. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I like Hollinger, but even on ESPN I think Arnovitz has had deeper analysis lately. Hollinger is just a very safe pick. He'll be good enough to keep Memphis from being stupid. But small market teams need to take bigger risks to have a chance to contend.

18. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Lol the craptors are now stuck in extreme mediocrity. Not good enough to contend, but not good enough to get a good pick.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Just because you decide to ram your head against the wall does not mean I am going to do the same. I do not agree with you most of the time, because most of the time you are wrong.

Yes, the Grizzlies are very good at the half court sets and on defense. However, over the last 2-3 years you have seen a push to have teams that can run and play in half sets. I do not see how the Grizzlies will be able to control the pace of the game in 2-3 series in a row. If the pace goes before a snail's pace the Grizzlies are a sitting duck.

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I personally see nothing wrong with saying Rudy is one of the best defensive and offensive forces in the NBA.

As long as every realizes I'm being sarcastic when i say that... unfortunately, I am still undecided if shayan was serious or not.