1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wojnarowski: McHale is someone guys like to play for

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 18, 2013.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Really dude? :confused:

At least some of the other people are subtle about being LOF.

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

a) Didn't we go 7-7 under Sampson during a fairly easy part of the schedule? (half those games were against non-playoff teams)

b) Isn't the "interim" (or caretaker) coaches job to run the sets that the actual coach has been putting in place?

c) Isn't building team chemistry the job of the coach? Doesn't the fact we have "good" chemistry highlight the point being made by Woj?( ie, players want to play for McHale)

For mine, McHale and Mark Jackson deserve to be the conversation for coach of the year? They've done a great job and exceeded all reasonable expectations.

3. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on the BBS.

So in your scenario, they are winning because of the players....in what possible way would Mchale ever be given credit by your logic? What are you using as a measure of his coaching ability? Your paranoid LOF mind that tells you he is yelling at Lin or is "Out to get him?"

They win, its because of the players.

They lose, its because of the coach? :confused:

4. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

So let me tell ya about the story of that 7 game losing streak last year, and guess what it wasn't Mchale's fault. When in fact LOSING CAMBY for the start of the losing streak did cost us. It was a certain FAVE PG named Goran Dragic (who insisted on that player option) who turned the ball over a lot mysteriously out of no where, and picking up his dribble. When he was rarely doing that to earn the starting nod & then keep it. That was what Dragic was doing best when we ALMOST had the 8th seed easy!

Instead we counted on Camby holding down the paint with 0 arms at that point, yet he was twackin three's when we needed it, pulling down boards when we needed it, passing when we needed it. Dragic instead became the complete opposite when PRESSURE AROSE. It wasn't Mchale that had some bad issues during those 7 games that Camby played 4 of during the losing streak. In fact Camby showed that the TEAM was flawed not by Mchale though. That doesn't matter though we got Harden bc of that ultimately bc the 14th pick etc. so it is kind of beyond the point of bringing this up, but I will because of the fact people want to bash Mchale. (Who at this point I'm so glad he's staying with this team & doing what he loves. We could be in a world of Sampson which wouldn't be so bad, but people do like Mchale he has been to war, and won Championships.)

- I love love love Dragic, and wanted to keep him. He is way better than Lin (Sorry LOFs but things could change). To my point, and I know a lot of people noticed this, but it was rarely brought up, and yet there was Dragic as if the PRESSURE just got to him. It really messed with the team, and he all of a sudden was kind of doing these bad habits. The things he did so great which was constantly penetrating while not losing the dribble, and dribbling it back out, or setting up another player. He was picking the ball up in the paint with no where to go, and it actually cost us some games. Turned it over quite a bit I believe, and just plain didn't look good out there. We were already sitting Martin & he was shunned so when the spotlight was hot, and the pressure of the playoffs was on I didn't blame it on McHale because he set us up to be there (in the playoffs) but we know what happened.

I never even thought of blaming McHale for the losing streak because HE HAD GOT US TO THAT POINT a "NO NAME TEAM" right to the brink of the playoffs.

In fact last season I thought McHale did a WONDERFUL job with what he had. Far surpassed my expectations.

This season same thing. He's done very well, and I'm glad he's still here because I did not think he would end up staying this season.

5. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

I guess you didn't see the words "and Asik" in the post. It's come to the point where you mention Lin in a sentence and you are automatically labelled a LOF? I tell you, Rockets fans hate Lin more than any other fan base.

6. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

I wouldn't get too angry at me (although I could care less if you are) as a lot of posters have been saing that the coach doesn't matter anyhow. So then it must be the players.....

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

No not at all, Kyrie has an impact on that team and it is evident. Impact doesn't mean the team turns into a top 5 team. Also, Kyrie is a horrible example because the rest of his team is beyond lack luster. Cleveland has 16 wins and Kyrie is averaging about 1/4 of their points per game. That is an impact. Points alone aren't a reason for a player to have an impact, Kyrie is also averaging 4 rebounds and 6 assists a game too. I would say it's safe to guestimate Kyrie has his hands is roughly 50% of the cavs offense, that is impact right there.

Also, Kyrie is still a rook. It's hard to judge him and his losing Cavs right now.

You really think Minnesota or Milwaukee would have more wins if Lin was on board? That's hilarious in itself. Lin would put up his average numbers and those teams would be on the outside of the playoffs looking in still. Lin hasn't shown he is at a star level in quite some time. Linsanity was great, but now that we're sobering up it's evident he isn't at that level anymore. Can he get back there? Maybe. If Lin was winning by assists we would see the assists, we would see some kind of impact from him to that team. It's really laughable that you think Lin could take a team like that to the next level. Comedy gold!

Kobe and the Lakers are an anomaly. They are a statistic that is hard to explain, and as much as this team is overachieving that team is underachieving. Team chemistry can also help players and a team synergize, I won't negate that, but you would have to agree with me that this team is greater than the sum of their parts. Split them up and all but Harden would flounder a bit. I like this team, but to call anyone outside of Harden a star is laughable. Near star, maybe, role player, definitely, star? Nope.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Yes that makes them role players.

It's actually pretty hard NOT to know when a player is a role player. The NBA consists of all-stars and role players, nothing else.

Everyone on this team is a roleplayer besides Harden, and that isn't a bad thing if they do their job well.

9. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

McHale if the winning continues will def. be considered for Coach of the Year, and I'm guessing it is a LOCK for Harden to win MIP. McHale has the youngest team in the L scoring what the most points in the L. Exactly what Stern wants exciting ball (LOL at Stern). Also did I mention this is the youngest team in the L, Morey says maybe youngest ever, to make the playoffs if they continue (I believe were his quotes).

McHale has also dealt with a huge tragedy, and still done what he has done. I think he's DONE A INCREDIBLE JOB!

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I'm not angry, sorry If I came off that way, just really surprised.

But I'll ask you again, how would you measure his success?

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It's not Lin that we hate, it's his fanbase. Lin is an average player. Nothing more. He couldn't even garner enough support to go to the all-star game. If he was as amazing as the Lin fanbase would have us believe a coach like Pop would have easily picked him as a backup. He didn't get the call up, and even in the skills challenge he fizzled a bit. Whatever, the guy was brought here and he puts up decent numbers for a role player. He's comparable to a Lowry or Dragic and that's pretty much what we would like to get out of him. He can't take over a game, but that's ok. Harden can, and that's why he gets the big bucks.

12. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

1. Wasn't the point of the post...

2. You point to the exceptions, not looking at the overall picture.

3. Yeah, Harden and Lin are well known players, but neither have much experience at all. If I recall, the Rockets, the Rockets are the youngest team in the league, before the year started all our starters combined was less than 100 games started,

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The team would be considerably worse without Asik, but not much different without Lin. It would be fairly easy to replace his performance so far this year. This team as currently constructed shouldn't be as good as it is, take Asik off of it and they don't overachieve anymore.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Quoted for accuracy.

15. cw3k

cw3k Member

So what you are saying is McHale is doing all the right thing?

Team Win, coach takes credit.

Team Loss, coach blame team.

No wonder this country is 'great'. Politician credit anything good for themselves. But will blame all the bad policies they implemented at other?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, it's team win, coach gets credit.

Team loses, coach takes blame.

Why do you think so many people think Phil Jackson is such a great coach? It's nothing he did, it's the fact that he had some of the greatest teams ever assembled. He gets credit for not screwing it up. As long as the Rockets are doing well, why complain about McHale?

17. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Your other posts have displayed you are clearly a LOF.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think it is rather ridiculous for people to claim that they know a coach's personality, abilities, or relationship with players by looking at broadcasts, post game interviews and brief shots of them on the sideline. These represent a small fraction of their time on the job and interaction with players, other coaches and front office and are often misleading as to what they are really like.

Specifically, remember when everyone thought Jeff Van Gundy was a negative, chronicly depressed, humorless hard-ass trollwith no personality and hates everybody? Even at that time word from reporters (includinf Jonathan Feigen) and players was that JVG was hilarious. People here didn't believe these reports back then, not until we hear him talking in longer lengths on TV.

The whole "McHale is biased against and mean to Lin" rumor is likely the same thing. People see a few exchanges in the middle of a game out of countless such interactions everyday between these guys and try to draw conclusions. Most likely these guys get along just fine. Lin is improving and working hard. He is starting every game and playing plenty of minutes-- btw, Lin doesn't sit out "crunch time" any more than Asik does, for those "Lin no play 4th qtr" people. Lin has played 70% of such minutes (last 5 minutes of close games) while Asik played 67%. No sign of dysfunction (and in the NBA, words of dysfunction get out quick). There is also absolutely no reason that a coach would want to alienate his boss's big money FA signing.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It's simple confirmation bias.

LOFs don't know (or don't like to talk about) how much McHale praised Lin during the Linsanity streak and how much of a shame it was we had to let him go.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-AAm5YTd794" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

My appraisal of McHale so far this year is this:

1) He doesn't deserve to be fired (yet) with the record the Rockets have.
    2) Transition offense - A+ He has the team running. When I used to coach I found you have to drill it into the team. They don't just do it naturally.
    3) Transition defense - B Was terrible early in the year but has improved
    4) Half court defense - D Terrible at times. Gave up 46 pts. against Clippers in 1st Q
    5) Half court offense - C Great at times, terrible others. Needs to free up Lin and take the good with the bad. Don't see that happening though.
    6) Substitutions - D Sometimes sits starters even when they're playing well in 4th Q and OT. Asik, Lin and Patterson in particular.

In my opinion I feel that McHale while not killing the team is not particularly helping them either. I think the fct the players seem to like each other generates good chemistry and that is mainly why they are overacheiving. Just my opinion.