1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wojnarowski: Man Drafted Right After Marcus Morris Wants The Max, No Traction In Extension Talks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 27, 2014.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Parsons was willing to handshake on a 12M/yr before free agency kicked in.

2. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Yeah, San Antonio's big three did nothing for 6-7 year and then Leonard shows up and they go to the finals twice. You have to be dumber than Oklahoma letting Harden go to not give that guy a Max Contract. Anybody that know and plays basketball knows that Leonard is one of the highest basketball IQ, hustle, do it all players in the NBA. Ridiculously good and all you have to do is pay him 15 million? Spurs, please make the mistake of letting him be a restricted free agent!!!

3. omgTHEpotential

I'm not saying he'd average exactly those numbers. Some of them could be lower, some higher, but he might not be far from that prediction.

He averaged these PER36 numbers last season:
    15.8ppg/7.7rpg/2.5apg/2.1spg

And that's being a 4th/5th option... I'm just saying that on a weaker team where he would be THE MAN he could put up even better stats.

4. cebu

cebu Member

but not more than Duncan and David Robinsons.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

A minutes boost would up his numbers a bit, but I think a worse system could just as easily bring them down a bit.

I'd hesitate to call him a 4th/5th option on that team. I'd say he's 3rd and even that is understating it, because the top 2 options on the team aren't like top 2 guys on most other teams in terms of % of shots taken and time with the ball.

He's a great player, but I think a good deal of his value is outside the box score. He would put up better counting stats as a more focal point, but I think it would be at the expense of efficiency and I just don't see him getting close to the line you suggested.

6. gambingo

gambingo Member

****, i would too after seeing how much Hayward and Parsons were paid. Leonard is the better player among those 3, so surely someone else will pay him if Spurs don't.

7. Entropy

Entropy Member

His leverage is that he was the finals MVP and that the other spurs aren't getting any younger. When Parsons of all people is getting the max, yeah, Leonard is gonna get the max.

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

doesn't hurt to ask... just don't get upset when the answer is no.

imo he's a good player, but fool's gold for anyone thinkin that he's a max player... some bottom dweller team will pay it and be mediocre...

9. NotChandlerParsons

no, not because he's a system player but because we don't have chip engelland to fix his jumper. he'd be a solid SF off the bench.

10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

if likes of parson , eric gordon , hayward and later klay thompson getting max deals then he should get it since better then all of then. BTW any other team wuld offer him max but knowing SA front office they might get him at discount,

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I would hesitate. A lot.
    He's nothing more than a super role player.
    He does what Ariza does, nothing more other than the fact that he has massive hands.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>San Antonio just announced that Kawhi Leonard is officially OUT of Tuesday night's opener against Dallas</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/526872844710322176">October 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Pop playing hardball...

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He'll get a max contract as a free agent and the Spurs will probably match. What's the point in San Antonio offering him a max extension now?

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

He's definitely better than Parsons and Hayward...but to be honest I think Parsons on the Spurs would be better than Kawhi on the Spurs LOL. Maybe I'm just giving the Spurs too much credit, but they make everybody look good. I mean look at Richard Jefferson, dude looked washed up, the Spurs picked him up, he looked awesome, some team paid him and now he looks washed up again. Same thing with Danny Green and Diaw, these guys only looked good wearing Spurs Unis. I personally don't think Leonard is worth the max, just because Parsons and Hayward got overpaid doesn't mean the Spurs have to overpay him as well, for @10+ M a year you can already get some decent two way players like Ariza, Iggy, Deng and Wilson Chandler.

16. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

The thought of Parson's locking up Lebron is hysterical. Thanks bro I needed a good laugh. You sounded super serious the way you expressed that too. lmao

17. zyt

zyt Member

tony parker has been taking cheap contracts his entire tenure with spurs and hes constantly viewed as a top mvp candidate, yes he's gonna get max if he insists but thats not necessarily the spurs way

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Kawhi Tiago and TP are the spurs future. They had been searching for a replacement 3/4 since Horry and Bowen retired. The RJ experiment led THEM to overpay him. Luckily they were able to dump his contract and made the fantastic move of trading into the draft and targeting Kawhi. Why would the Spurs unravel all that chemistry and experience for an uncertain future?

With the new CBA both Kawhi and Klay will get their max offers, it is only a matter of which team gives it to them.

19. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

We have about 50000 members. The people who said those things at the end of last year and the people calling him overrated are not the same posters. I have always said that Leonard is a great role player, but that he is not a go to guy.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is a pretty interesting case.

Guys like Hayward and Parsons pretty much give Kawhi the right to ask...nay demand for a Max deal. Yet, everyone knows he's no "Batman" on a team. Is there any GM in the league that is going to say "Yeah, give me Kawhi Leonard to start my team." I'd bet in some kind of fantasy draft he'd be way down the list.

Then again he's the ultimate team player, role player even. I think they have to do it though, to get the most out of the Duncan and Parker years and worry about the future later. If you can win another ring with this team you have to try.