1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Westbrook closing in on 3 year extension to remain with Thunder

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jacoby, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If he goes somewhere else then it's possible that OKC, a franchise that has show it can be cheap, didn't out the proper team around him to compete. Nothing wrong with leaving once you are a free agent.

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Stop refreshing the page Lol <br>it's true <a href="https://t.co/WxyZUHImWN">pic.twitter.com/WxyZUHImWN</a></p>&mdash; Enes Kanter (@Enes_Kanter) <a href="https://twitter.com/Enes_Kanter/status/761100495691722752">August 4, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I ain't gonna join the enemy<br>I'm here to compete <a href="https://t.co/2Elu93b4P5">pic.twitter.com/2Elu93b4P5</a></p>&mdash; Enes Kanter (@Enes_Kanter) <a href="https://twitter.com/Enes_Kanter/status/761232530339160065">August 4, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Lightsnowaction

My exact order, except Kawhi over Harden only because of his Defense.

4. hlcc

hlcc Member

Westbrook should send Durant a thank you letter. If Durant stayed, OKC would have had the necessary cap room to pull off this renegotiated contract.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

whether KD stayed or not, WB would have a ton of money coming his way anyway

6. jlwee

jlwee Member

No wonder the Thunder never won a ring.

One is a true warrior.
    The other one is a coward who join the warriors.

Warrior and coward never coexist.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I don't know about ranking CP3 so low. He's had some bad luck but that dude is an unbelievable talent as the floor general. Just unreal and very competitive.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You misunderstand me.

We both respect WB because he made the best decision that was in his personal self-interest. Barring catastrophic injury, he will obviously opt out in 2018 and chase the $200 million contract that is available because of his 10 years and 35% of the cap rule.

My point is giving him props because of any loyalty to the Thunder is misguided nonsense.

During WB's rookie season, I remember posting here that he had an incredible upside and might surprise people. Not a single person agreed.

9. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

Westbrook like getting hype for his forced tripple doubles, didn't want to let go of it

10. arjun

arjun Member

who would you rank CP3 ahead of on that list? you could at most make a case for lillard, but i'd still disagree. regardless, cp3 is not higher than kawhi, harden, curry, westbrook, durant, or lebron

11. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Was three years the most years he could sign for?

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Cp3 has a case to be top 5 easily. It really comes down to what you're looking for but its not definitive that he's below all those guys u mentioned

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No. WB wants the ability to cash in after 10 years in the NBA. That is 2 years from now. So he is guaranteed to be paid for 3 but can opt out after 2. This is a carbon copy of the Harden deal.

In reality, there are 4 scenarios. I list them in order of likelihood.

1 Presti trades WB next summer

2 WB opts out in 2018, leaves OKC and gets $200MM from another team

3 WB opts outs in 2018 and re-signs with OKC for $200MM

4 WB plays out all 3 years of this contract at OKC.

IMO, #1 is mostly likely because Presti will not give WB the opportunity to carry out #2 because he could walk and OKC gets nothing in return. #4 only happens if WB suffers a catastrophic injury.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Westbrook has fought for YEARS to be THE MAN of OKC. He's gotta take a year or 2 to finally complete that OKC mission in full. He wasnt gonna bail out on that premature, he has to put the icing on that cake. After the luster wears off he can think of other destinations

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

OKC should 'd traded him instead of Harden

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's a matter of opinion, there's no right or wrong.

To a true competitor, it's a b**** move to do this when he should be taking the leader's share of blame for why they lost. They have the team to win it all, and they've built it around him. They were within minutes of the Finals with a rookie coach and the team playing all together for the first time ever. A leader stands up and says I f'ed up, let me go out and fix this.

That's what winning is about to me. Instead, he chose to have others carry him to a title by using

In my opinion, there's a difference between wanting to be a champion and wanting to get a ring. All champions have rings, but not all people with rings are champions. Lebron became a champion when he won this season. He had 3 rings. Iguodala has a ring, but he's no champion, and he knew it when he came out and said Durant bailed on a better team to come ring chasing with him.

There is a reason why Jordan's first 3 rings are much more highly regarded than Lebron's first 3 rings.

Durant has no rings, and is at least one contract away from being a champion IMO.

You are free to do what you want. You want fame and jewellery, that's your call if you want to be the Kim Kardashian of the NBA, it's your life. I don't respect those people, but like with Lebron, there's always a chance to fix it.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Yeah, silly ass reasons. LeBron led his teams in points, boards, assists and was their primary defender for every title run. Very few players arguably did more for their teams and Jordan, whose team still won 50+ games without him, isn't on that list.

LeBron wasn't a champion before this season even though he had two titles while doing more than arguably anyone, ever. :rolleyes:

18. lalala902102001

Westbrook for MVP next year?

His numbers are going to be crazy. Question is if OKC will remain competitive.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

vegas has him a 4 to 1 fav to win mvp the last time i saw recently

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I know what you meant but Iggy is not the best example.

He is a championship role player and won 1 Finals MVP.

Not every role player can say that about themselves.

There are and were lesser players that rode coattails to a championship.