1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Van Gundy is at the top of the Rockets’ list of candidates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Apr 18, 2016.

?

Would you be okay with bringing Jeff Van Gundy back?

1. Yes — bring him back.

88.9%
  2. No — been there, done that.

11.1%
  1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

To be fair, Knicks fans complain about everything.

2. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

He is not the best coach especially on the offensive end, but this team needs discipline and defense and JVG can bring that to the table.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Knicks fans revere JVG... they love him.

They also know that JVG didn't love NY... didn't like the media, didn't like living there, and wouldn't go back there unless he had total control.

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I think we're all glossing over that fact, much the same as you're glossing over the fact that team had Yao & McGrady, and not much else.

JVG is one of the smartest basketball minds there is. Nothing about him shows evidence that he wouldn't be more than capable of 'changing his coaching style' as you've alluded to.

This team needs an entire overhaul of the core values and beliefs. And I know I sure as hell want someone who is a GREAT defensive mind to get their claws into this team.

Hire an assistant who is offensively gifted, and Morey working for role players around Harden and hopefully two more max free agents and I'm ready to go to war.

JVG alone with this same playing roster would have us MUCH better positioned than 41-41.

I can't even fathom how happy I'd be.

You think JVG is going to draw up a defense that lets Pat Beverley push up and apply pressure at the half court line only to be blown by forcing the rest of the defense to collapse meaning open corner 3s?

You think JVG is going to draw up a defense that instructs James Harden to push up into the chest of Draymond Green one step in from the 3 point line, easily allowing Green to drive baseline for an uninterrupted dunk?

You think JVG is going to have 5 guys on the court look as clueless and showing 0% cohesion on that side of the ball?

I pray we get JVG.

I'll buy a ticket to Houston and hold up a sign courtside saying "I've come back to watch the Rockets because of JVG"

2 people like this.
  5. ibm

ibm Member

i love jvg. also love your passion here. thumbs up. :cool:

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Still feeling Crushed by Minny, but it makes sense. Thibs is a popular man, even in Houston. Complete control is the game now. Doc did it. Stand did it. Pops did it long,long ago. Thibs was gunning for it. I wonder who sets the tone in the Rox front office...

JVG would be a great choice. I wasn't a fan at first when he first became the Rockets coach. But, like all of us, I learned to admire the absolute dedication and preparation for every facet of the game. He's easily one of the most intelligent coaches out there, and I like his support for JB's composure over this crazy season.

Keep Scottie Brooks far, far away please. Luke doesn't have enough cred, imo.

Is Rick around? ;)

There are some good wild cards out there, some right in front of us. Either way, James and the future supporting cast need a cohesive, blatantly-clear identity going forward.

This season cannot repeat itself, not even the pre-camp comfort that spread the notorious carefree demeanor. We don't need a rebuild...we just need a vision of structure.

7. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

I trust in JVG. He's learned a great deal since his last days coaching and I have no doubt he will bring in some great assistants that will implement a great system for us

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Rockets should have missed the playoffs. They would have their 1st round pick and a new coach by now. I hope JVG doesn't get snatched up while waiting for these last two games to be over.

9. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

JVG did say that he'd want a great offensive mind by his side if he were to come back coaching. Him + Rick the Ruler would be a damn good combo: discipline and defensive prowess + offensive creativity

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

That would be the key to someone like JVG. If he has progressed and learned over the years, which I believe he has, then he would definitely bring along an offense mind to work on that side of it while he fixes the hot mess that is our defense and leadership.

11. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Normally I would say no. Especially because JVG isn't perfect, especially on the offensive side.

But with a lazy-ass Harden on the team ... JVG and Thidobeau (now gone) are probably the best candidates.

12. MistaK

MistaK Member

I hope JVG considers taking the job. He is a guy the players will instantly trust. He, unlike many on here, believes in this team's number 1 option. He will definitely improve this team's defense and I'm sure he can get great assistants on this team - hopefully someone to implement a good offensive system.

The other two candidates that were supposedly considered by the Rockets are pretty much gone: Thibs is is Minny and Brooks, I read, likely headed to Washington (I wonder why :grin:)

13. Raven

Raven Member

He clashed with Francis, and he will clash with Harden, but the Rockets weren't going anywhere with Steve, and I don't think they're going anywhere with James. JVG will bring an environment of accountability, which (once again) is exactly why he'd be a solid choice.

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Francis was uncoachable though. He was so used to Rudy just letting him do whatever he wanted. At least James has had experience with a tough coach in Thibs that brought the best out of him. I would also say that James is a far more dedicated player than Francis ever was.

15. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

JVG won't fix all the problems inherent in this team; at the very least, we need an actual starting PF and a PG of at least excellent-6th-man caliber.

However, I think he would improve on certain glaring effort and execution weaknesses, and he's the kind of win-now coach that we have to acquire at some point if we're trying to win a championship in Harden's prime (it was pretty clear that McHale was not that guy). I would not expect an immediate return to contention with Van Gundy, but it would be nice to see defense played in Houston again. I'd take him.

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree. A lot of pieces are in in place and they need to add another playmaker or two while changing up the strategy on both sides of ball.

17. OpportunityCost

Bringing back JVG would be IDIOTIC!!! He was a horrible little tyrant whose offensive philosophy was throw it to the star(T-Mac/Yao) and get out of the way - "throw it to them until they drop" I once heard him say. Do we really want that simple-minded approach on offense again? His defense was good b/c Thibs was here. Are people really this crazy? What is that Einstein quote about doing the same thing over again and expecting change? Also if he is so good, why hasn't any other team hired him in the last 10 years? I guess he's just biding his time right, lol. This decision wouldn't surprise me though, as Morey seems to be a complete moron when it comes to hiring coaches. Morey is like someone who can do brilliant math problems (assembling talent) but can't tie his own shoes (hiring coaches).

18. OpportunityCost

Also I wish people would stop saying JVG is the best candidate. That's ridiculous! Based on what? Go to the college ranks or the assistant coaches pool in the NBA or even the European route. Get someone who is a great tactician on offense and who will hold people accountable.

19. MistaK

MistaK Member

I honestly don't think that they'd clash. If you listen to the broadcasts JVG is always raving about James. Every coach, from Brooks, to McHale to the US coaching staff have always said good things about James, his work ethic and his basketball IQ. Nothing that makes me believe that James isn't coachable.

The problem is our system or lack thereof and the fact that they rely too heavily on James. There isn't a single player that has to carry the load that James is carrying.

This is not James's doing, this is on the coaching staff. They know they are asking too much of him, they have even said so on multiple occasions.

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Who are the wild cards right in front of us? And as always good health to you codman.