1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj/Shams] Bye bye Jimmy. Heat finalizing deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 30, 2019.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, you're right about Capela, I forgot about that.

Still, this roster looks a lot better than what we have now or what the Heat have now, especially in a league where that unfair Warriors team is basically out of it.

So I think Butler still made a mistake if winning was his priority. Miami isn't closer to winning a championship than Houston, they just don't have the superstar player to do it, The Rockets at least have that.

Vivi likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Boy, who wouldn't take that right now? :D

I think I was against it at the time?

J Sizzle and Vivi like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

That roster would've been definitely better, just more defense and talent overall, no question, Clarke is looking like the steal of the draft too and he's a super versatile PF who can guard multiple positions, shoot, pass...sucks tbh, although i do see why Butler decided to go to Miami, i hate Riley but he built a strong identity there, just look at the team right now...they really don't have that much talent, they actually play an undrafted rookie, two bigs, one can't move his feet and the other one can't shoot, but they hustle and make up for it...i hate to say it, but Butler is a great fit there, and by keeping their picks and developing their young players now they have also some assets to move in a trade if there's a chance...if not well, they'll open some cap space in a year to try to sign a top free agent. Until they do that they won't win ****, i agree, but i'm not sure we're in a much different position in the end, and at least they're much younger as a team, guys like Bam and Herro are going to be really good soon

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Easily.

1. Miami's a much better city for quality of life
    2. Heat at 5-1 right now, clearly, a better team than Houston and it's 100% Butlers team, doesn't have to live in Harden's shadow while sitting and watching him jack up 15 step-back 3's while playing zero defense every night.

With Nunn's emergence, Herro looking good, they have an exceptionally talented and young team around Jimmy.

Nunn - 24
    Herro - 20
    Butler - 30
    Winslow - 23
    Adebayo - 22

Miami owns all but one (2021) of their future first, and everybody around Butler is under contract for the cheap until at least the 2021 free agency as well. That team is set up nicely going forward.

mastan and Vivi like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Oh definitely, I get why he went there, beautiful beaches, weather, and women aside, it really fits his mentality. I just think with his age, he doesn't have much time to waste there, 2-3 seasons, before he becomes one of those aging players that is getting no better.

I feel like they have to make a trade for a superstar this year or next, I don't think Jimmy will take kindly to getting beat in the playoffs, and I think this Heat team, EVEN though they could finish top 4 in the East, could get eliminated by the right team, like a 4-5 matchup with the Celtics? Or a match up with the Raptors? I think they can lose against so many teams in the East and Jimmy isn't going to take too kindly to that despite what he says now. He always says the right things until his team is getting kicked out of the playoffs then Crazy Jimmy shows up.

We'll see how it works out...

What I do know is that him signing here was his best option team-wise for winning this season. I think that isn't even debatable, as you laid out, that's a complete roster that would even give that Warriors team a lot of problems.

#305 JayGoogle, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Vivi likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Ah, tbh i meant to say he fits well there because of their defensive identity as a team, but the other things played a part too obviously.

With that said yeah, i think the guy wants to win and they'll have to get at least another great player there to compete, which won't be easy cause it's never easy, but all things considered i think they have a good chance, the city/market is pretty great, the coach is top tier, they're a young team with potential...if not via trade, i can see a top free agent sign there next summer.

JayGoogle likes this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah but does Miami's owner go around telling people to shut up and listen?

Space Ghost and ThatBoyNick like this.
  8. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

I dont think Butler regrets his decision at all...

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

What made Daryl & Thaddeus so confident Tomball Jimmy was signing with the Rockets?

“I tried to get to Miami earlier than June, if you remember me coming out of Minnesota,” Butler told Yahoo Sports, referring to his trade request last season. “So, people are overlooking all the facts.”

slothy420 and Vivi like this.
  10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I thought Houston would be a better situation for Butler, but he's the man in Miami and they are a scrappy and competitive team in the small sample size we have so far. Can't say he made the wrong decision.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You hate to see it

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not to mention they'll eventually shed Olynyk's and Waiter's salaries.

Kind of hard to imagine them pulling the trigger on that CP3 deal at this point.