1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Woj - Rockets trying to complete deal for Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 8, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree they need to get rid of him, but they don't need us to do that which is what someone else had said.

Theoretically they won't put themselves in a worse position. Now I say theoretically because they are the Knicks so you never know lol.

I also think we will ultimately find a third team, but the haggle is probably that the Knicks want something of value and the Rockets and the third team aren't eager to do it.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, everything is better here basically, coach, organization, gm...

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

D'Antoni interview (starts around 22 min. mark)

Your relationship with Carmelo?

Like every player, you butt heads, you don't butt heads. ... We were together with USA Basketball after New York, so whatever. I'm not getting into it. That's tough for the General Manager to figure out. I'll coach the people that I have. It's life. Life happens. You're gonna do the best job you can do no matter what.

B-Bob, lionaire, Tfor3 and 4 others like this.
  4. justtxyank

If they cut him I think it's 60/40 he goes to Cleveland. His wife said as much on the radio.

That said, I'd take that risk as well if the alternative is moving Gordon/Ariza.

I'm fine going into the season with Ryan Anderson. Melo gives you more upside, but isn't like he's a superstar.

snowconeman22 and mikol13 like this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fair enough.

6. justtxyank

That doesn't sound like a guy who's in love with the idea. I still say that people should be careful what they wish for.

If we get Melo and anything goes wrong, this could blow up fast.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Utah seems like a great trade partner. Anderson fits well with Rubio on offense and Gobert on defense. They also have a ton of guys on expiring deals, some of which might be attractive to NYK

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed. At this point they should build around Gobert and Rubio anyway, add shooters, Favors doesn't fit there anymore imo, he's also always injured, expiring and looking to get paid...should fit ok in NY actually, even if he's not a true center but hey, still better than Noah.

9. mockster

mockster Member

The problem with Anderson #1 is his overpaid contract the 2nd being that he sucks at everything but shooting and if your team isn't like rockets ideology he's pretty useless

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Coach Dan Tony is running reverse psychology on the Knicks.

snowconeman22 and Tfor3 like this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've been here every day since 2002. And you're going to call me a knee-jerking fan with superficial basketball knowledge? Thanks, man! Appreciate it!

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Better to have a legit chance that can blow up, than an also ran who runs smooth

Tfor3 likes this.
  13. Williamson

He is a scrub. He can do one thing well and yet somehow for the entire playoffs I cringed every single time he shot a three. And if he isn't hitting threes he is absolutely worthless. The only thing I can say for him is I thought he was at least giving effort defensively through out the playoffs. He's just not a very good defensive player.

No Chance likes this.
  14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You can watch basketball your whole life and still knee-jerk or have superficial knowledge. If you didn't, then you would realize a stretch 4 like Anderson brings huge spacing that is vital for our offense and Harden. You would also realize that have a 40% shooter from deep at the 4 spot as our fall back plan is a pretty good situation to be in. If Houston was not in play for Melo, we would have no issue with keeping Anderson on our team.

IvanLCPM and BigMaloe like this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's a good point and the reason why maybe the Jazz will not get him in the end, but who knows, losing Hayward maybe will make them change plans a bit.

mockster likes this.
  16. Williamson

Or I'd realize that he might be a 40 percent three point shooter over-all but he's actually only a 30 percent three point shooter at home. So all that work to get home court advantage? Cool. Now one of our starters is worthless.

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

We should just not get home court advantage then.

18. Williamson

That's definitely not what I'm saying. I'm saying Ryan Anderson sucks at least half the time and more than half the time if we have home court advantage.

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

The ideology of any team trying to complete is to get shooters or develop shooters. Case in point, the Grizzlies shot almost 300 more threes last year compared to the previous year. Hell, MARC GASOL jumped from 0.1 attempts to 3.6 attempts PER GAME. Threes are the foreseeable future unless the NBA makes a 4pt line or take away the 3pt line.

20. chenjy9

Supporting Member

And I am sure the Rockets can figure out why that is the case. A shooter doesn't just forget to shoot in a specific location. There is something else going on and we have a group of really intelligent people on the Rockets staff.