1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets trade KJ Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 1, 2023.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, but he traded all our fan-fave scrubs and didn't even get a few 1st-round picks in return!

ramotadab, rocketchamp and HD729 like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

It was a bad trade, but calling it a "robbery" is a ridiculous overstatement.

KJ Martin is really good at exactly one thing in the NBA, running to the basket, catching the ball, and dunking it. All his other skills are average at best, and some of them are pretty poor.

He's a decent bench player. He isn't making or breaking anybody's franchise.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Just seeing the end of his first contract in the league was a tremendous career path for a #52 pick.

I think the Clippers are just the type of team that can get the most out of KJM, they need his athleticism and energy.
    He can also learn to be a better defensive player from some pretty good players on that team - No, I don't expect him to turn into Ariza 2.0 but he'll be serviceable with that team / coaching staff.

Would have liked a better return but it was obvious he had no place on this roster / rotation.

#243 Corrosion, Jul 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    sydmill likes this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

you post like a mindless karen screaming at the world accusing me of judging our entire offseason on this one obviously lopsided trade. but i didn't mention anything about stone other than wondering why he chose LAC to deal KMJ. and now you claim you've "been more than right than" i'll ever be. you sound like a f'n 14yr old clueless karen cretin :D

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Say what you will, practically losing a fan favorite in KJ for an unpopular enforcer that is Dillon.......

Nice contract vs bloated contract

In the name of winning 10-14 more games and reach mediocrity.

6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Again, no examples? Nothing is lopsided about trading a 2nd round pick (KMJ) for a 2nd round pick. Especially when we now got a better prospect in Cam Whitmore at the same position. Kenyon Martin Jr isn't a difference maker enough to make a trade lopsided.

You're just whining like a little privileged school girl at this point. We're better than we were last year

7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yep. I'm guessing they're still upset how Stone got fleeced in the Gary Bird trade. We absolutely should've got a superstar back

topfive likes this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

wtf does whitmore have to do w/ losing a trade involving another player, and yes this is clearly a lopsided losing trade. martin WAS a 2nd round pick, and now IS a regular rotation player on any team. the likelihood of us getting a rotation player out of the picks sent back is tiny. again fool, this transaction itself is a dud regardless of what else we did this offseason. it's like if you somehow finally made one good coherent post in the GARM, that doesn't just magically change your entire of body of work here (which is utter crap)

kjayp and daywalker02 like this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

What a ridiculous response. So you’re telling me Denver should celebrate if they get two late second round picks for Jokic????? Clips are 100% right in calling this an absolute robbery and we’ll have the pleasure for years to come of watching him dunk, shoot 55%, block shots (he blocked every 7 footer in the league two years ago as a backup), etc. He does all this and we get the last couple picks of the second round. That, my friends, is the definition of highway robbery.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

What a ridiculous response. So you’re telling me Denver should celebrate if they get two late second round picks for Jokic????? Clips are 100% right in calling this an absolute robbery and we’ll have the pleasure for years to come of watching him dunk, shoot 55%, block shots (he blocked every 7 footer in the league two years ago as a backup), etc. He does all this and we get the last couple picks of the second round. That, my friends, is the definition of highway robbery.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I wish him success, would be fun to see him have a good season, however I don't think he is a needle moving player, more of a luxury player... his ceiling is probably Montrezl Harrell.

majicdonjuan and FLAGRANT1 like this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I simply enjoyed watching the young fellow play, and it bothers me that Stone gave him away. Yes, there likely wasn’t room on the roster for Martin, but I’m beginning to think the room is shrinking for Mr. Stone, as well. Our GM should be skating on thin ice, in my opinion. Not because of this trade, although he should be embarrassed by it, but rather for his body of work. It a mixed bag, in my opinion. Shaken and not stirred.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Deckard likes this.
  15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Because the trade was meaningless. We HAVE enough rotational players and young talent backing them up. KMJ was a rotational guy on a team TRYING to lose, you overvalued him but lucky the Stone didn't. He's not a rotational player on any team, what is in the crack you're smoking?

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh that's a 100% reasonable argument. KJ Martin is definitely comparable to Jokic.

Man, I don't believe KJ Martin is a quality starter in the NBA. I believe he's an NBA player, but his defense sucks (and yes, you can be a good shot blocker and still be a terrible defender). His handles suck. He shot 31% from 3. He's maybe 6'6 with a 6'7 wingspan. To put that in perspective, Amen Thompson is 6'6 with a 7'0 wingspan and Josh Christopher was 6'4" with a 6'8" wingspan. He can't defend bigs and he can't defend guards (including shooting guards) and he's not particularly good at defending forwards either. He's a bench warmer on a decent team. And I just don't believe he'll ever be better than that. If you think otherwise, that's fine. I don't think he's worth a 1st rounder.

It's really fun to watch him dunk the ball, but it was also really fun to watch Stromile Swift dunk the ball. And KJ is a lot closer to Stromile than he is to Jokic.

#256 Williamson, Jul 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  17. Williamson

I'm not deeply invested in Stone. I think he definitely still has a lot to prove. I have been pleased with some of his moves and have questioned others. However, Sam Presti is regularly described as one of the best GM's in the league and he opted to keep Ibaka and Perkins over James Harden.
    Masai Ujiri is another name that has got a lot of press for being a genius, and he could have traded VanVleet last season for a decent return, instead VanVleet walked in free agency, leaving the Raptors with no assets to show for it.

You described Stone's work as a "mixed bag". I'd argue that's true for literally every GM. Hell, remember when the Spurs, who were lauded as the best franchise in the league (and possibly ever) gave us Luis Scola for nothing?

18. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Agree with all of this. Well done. Stone hasn’t done anything egregious this off-season. When the dust settles, he still will have overpaid for Brooks but all things considered he addressed a lot of areas of concern and kept our young core intact.

looking at each loss of KJM, TyTy, Garuba, etc in a vacuum is a foolish way to judge a GM. Stone hasn’t given up anyone that’s mattered and there are only so many roster spots. You have to make tough decisions. There was no room for KJM on this team and an even better player, KPJ, will likely be moved as well. That’s just business.

topfive and Williamson like this.
  19. Williamson

Agreed. And while I don't think KJM was worth a 1st rounder, I think it's hard to imagine how we would have gotten that for him even if he was. He apparently demanded a trade before last season began. He became happier after minutes opened up for him with Tate out injured and Gordon traded at the deadline, but we just brought in Brooks and Cam Whitmore. KJ, again, was going to be disgruntled due to lack of minutes. And EVERYBODY can see it because he had already demanded a trade. Tell me where the leverage is to maximize the return when people know it's either trade him or have he and his dad whining and bringing disharmony to the locker room?

I don't see it. I'm pleased with 2 second rounders in return for him. And even if I thought he should be worth a 1st rounder, I wouldn't have expected more than the return we got considering all of that.

All of that said, after the way he gave up Josh Christopher for NOTHING we should all be outside of Toyota Center like this:

[​IMG]

jim1961 likes this.
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

to hell with his sake, I care about them competing. And winning.