1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[WOJ] Rockets Pursuing Deals with Trade Exception

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CJLarson, Dec 10, 2014.

1. craguin

craguin Member

Jarrett Jack has been awful from 3pt range this year [3-for-19 total, 15.8%].

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

other way around. williams would be the new thomas robinson.

3. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

fair enough point.

But Brewer still fills a need and would be helpful even without any other trades. Even if all our guys come back healthy, he could be productive, and that last piece to the puzzle.

4. Milk Haiir

Milk Haiir Member

Chuck Wagon?

5. CertifiedTroll

McDognic, Paging McDognic, who are we going after?

6. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I definitely agree with that. I'd love Brewer on this team. He would give us depth , which we sorely need, especially with all the injuries (current and future). Plus, his length would fit in perfectly with the the current defensive philosophy of scrambling, trapping and attacking passing lanes.

He is a servicable rotation player that could help deal with injuries, keep Harden and Ariza fresh, and give us more options for certain matchups (i.e., not having to play Garcia when we use up all of Kostas's minutes playing small ball 4).

7. Victorious

Victorious Member

Im sure BK would rather free up some salary than to take on another contract for DWill

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Jason Terry + Expiring $8 million contract/player we get from the TPE + fillers would free up a lot of cap room next summer.

9. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Why so much love for brewer?lol

No way i'm wasting TPE on him

10. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Just remembered he dropped 51 on us... That has to be the reason, right?

11. steddinotayto

Could this be done?

1. Houston uses the TPE to absorb Arron Afflalo's contract. Sends the Nuggets the NOP first rounder
    2. Next day, Houston trades the rights of Afflalo, Terrence Jones, and Filler to Indiana for David West

I'm just unclear on how long before we can use the player we absorb with the TPE and use him in a trade.

12. scottie brooks

Beverly troutman?

13. jacoby

jacoby Member

So we are essentially trading Jones and a Pelicans pick for an aging player who's a Free Agent at the end of this season? I'm not on board.

Besides, Jones is still only 22 years old. 22! I don't know why everyone is quick to write him off. I think he can become an impactful player in this league a few years down the road. Same with Motiejunas -- as we've seen so far this season.

14. Matt78777

No I think you have to keep the player you traded for for at least 60 days, thats why Houston wants to get the deal done before December 19, because that is the last possible day they can make the deal and still retrade this incoming players this season. So it can be done, but not just yet.

Better question: Should it be done??? Does West move the needle far enough to justify giving up on young Jones?

15. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

No, you would have to wait 60 days after acquiring a player with the TPE before you trade them again. That is why the Rockets want to make the trade by the 19th -- so the acquired player will be eligible to be traded by the trade deadline this season.

16. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

So we get an old dude for Afflalo and Tjones who has a tonne of upside. no thanks

17. kemah

kemah Member

Morey's annual take out the trash day is coming...soon.

Every year I start to get attached to some players and every year half are dealt away.

18. dragician

dragician Member

he's the only one who can stop Aldridge come playoffs.

19. Matt78777

if anyone wants a list of every player that fits in the Jeremy Lin trade exception here's a list of every NBA salary by year:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/salaries/_/page/2

Anything after Jeremy Lin (excluding Asik of course) fits.

2 people like this.
  20. steddinotayto

Thanks for the answer guys.

Technically West has a player option of $12.5 million for next year. Wishful thinking that he could be re-signed for less per year but for more years if the Rockets want to?

I'm not a Jones hater by any means (I've actually defended him here before) but I'd take David West over Jones right now.

Howard, West, Dmo, Black, and Dorsey is a formidable lineup come playoff time

How much upside does honestly have IF he comes back from his nerve damage injury? DMo, at his current pace, has outplayed Jones and should be considered higher on the depth chart.