1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Rockets Pursuing Deals with Trade Exception

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CJLarson, Dec 10, 2014.

1. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

the TE can't be packaged with anyone... it is what it is, can't really be used as leverage in a smokescreen attempt.

I think we are going to add a high level role contributor for sure

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

when does the TPE expire?

3. rocketblood713

Morey is always on the hunt man go get something Dork Elvis!

4. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I remember the Asik trade deadline last year... I won't get my hopes up.

#24 batkins, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Most likely we will just use the pick and TE to eat a player's salary and waive one of our existing guys.

You can not do trade combine the TE and players.

Unless its a multiple teams big trade...

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

The roster is already set at 15.

What this means is that there is another trade lined up or we just waive Cisco. Can't really see anyone else being waived.

7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Don't get your hope too high.

Lots of the teams never used their TE and just let them expired.

Other GM knows this also so either they will just try to dump a big contract for tax relief or they will ask for a very good return for the asset they have.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I'm not 100% certain, but I think I read it expires 1 year from the date it was acquired.

9. basketballholic

Because we are capped at the apron, don't look for a player to be cut if we make a trade by December 19th for the purposes of being able to flip said player at the deadline. We'll probably do something like Dorsey and second rounders out and Afflalo or Bass or some other salary in. And if we are going to acquire a salary into the TPE to be able to flip, this sure smells like a deadline deal for Rondo with us helping Ainge take out the trash by taking back Gerald Wallace with him.

Or perhaps a straight up salary dump type trade with Brooklyn for Brooks Lopez and possibly KG together.

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Cisco is the most logical choice, especially when Nick is playing at least decent in limited time.

I doubt they will move Dorsey at this point.

Or, this could happen : Morey will trade Daniels to the 76ers for a heavily protected second round pick or an Euro player's right whom got drafted in 2003 draft.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I believe Jon Feigan already put this out there sometime ago.

Also McHale said it himself about a week ago on the Rockets round table that they have the trade exception to use that they are pursuing deals with.

This is hardly "inside info" and I hope nobody in a "certain random thread" is claiming that they called this weeks ago because they didn't. The Rockets have been pretty open about wanting to use this TPE, and wanting to use it before Dec 19th is pretty damn obvious.

12. Textroets

Textroets Member

Man I hope we pull Brewer, he's perfect for this team.

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

TPE + NOP Pick for Monroe. Monroe for Dragic at the deadline. This seems to be our best option and something that is mildly realistic.

14. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets have motivation to use their trade exception.

The Rockets are trying to win now and are targeting players that will not adversely effect their long term flexibility, and can be traded at the deadline if a larger trade materializes.

The Rockets also have a need for interior help and a defending wing.

Someone like Brandon Bass is very possible. He can play quality minutes at the 4, is an expiring contract that can then be rolled up into a bigger deal at the deadline if needed.

I think it is very likely the Rockets use the TPE for a rotation player of the caliber of Bass. Not a world beater, but capable of playing 20 minutes at a high level and can make a difference down the stretch.

Those wanting a real "5", be aware that the going cost for a legitimate 5 is high, and even higher than usual.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If the Rockets are doing someone a huge favor by wiping out 8 mil of salary, I'd have to think that Morey will do his best to try and finagle Joey Dorsey's salary in the deal.

I'd assume that Dorsey is the player to go if they can include him. If not, I wouldn't be shocked if Daniels actually is let go or included.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I no longer want Ilyasova. I don't know who I want - much less who's actually available and attainable - with the TPE.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

And it also depends on what player / position we are getting, if we are getting a real solid big/C, I can see Dorsey will be let go also.

If Morey is going this route, I think he sense this year we may have a decent chance to win it, and he may go "a little bit more" all in and willing to eat Dorsey's contract.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

If we could get any decent rotation player, it would make the Lin deal even better. Yeah giving up the 1st sucks but we get to dump Lin, allow Canaan to grow and get a better contributing role player who could possibly fetch you a valuable 2nd at some point.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Brandon Bass is not playing better than DMo the last 3 weeks.

20. NotChandlerParsons

Is Monroe even more valuable than the NOP pick at this point? 4 years of cheap, possibly good production (teams always overestimate their own ability to draft) vs 1 year and then he's making a good chunk of change.