1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets finalizing deal to send Omer Asik to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 25, 2014.

?

Do you like the trade of Omer Asik for cap space and a protected first rounder?

1. YES

589 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. NO

79 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. mario_v

mario_v Member

I don't want to see harden to get traded either but morey has proven to show that he sees his players as assets, even harden.

So it wouldn't surprise me if he's shopping him around.

2. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Rockets have $9 million in cap room. Lin + DMo = 18 million. Add Harden. $32 million. That's enough for Lebron and Melo at a paycut + Exum/Wiggins/Parker.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sigh....

We already cleared Asik. Trading Lin and doing normal cap maintenance clears the 18 which is what was going to be used just on Melo.

Trading Harden, opens up another 14.

4. conquistador#11

i'd rather just get lebron and call it a day. getting carmelo with him would just be like a fat kid eating that 12th pie. it stops being basketball at that point and just an NBA2K trial run.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Considering Orlando was only able to get pick #56 tonight for Afflalo, Morey looks brilliant.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

LeBron and Melo are friends and have talked about playing together. LeBron and Harden (apparently) barely know each other.

Some of you guys are being ridiculously harsh on what the national writers are saying. They are simply floating possibilities. It's nothing to get so flamed up about.

Chill.

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Well no s***. I mean after we sign one of them, simply trading Harden doesn't open up enough for the other.

8. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Asik is much better than Afflalo. Fans, and NBA writers, are just wildly ignorant of the on-court value of players.

9. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

The scenarios these writers are floating are legitimately impossible. They don't know how free agency works in the slightest. They deserve criticism.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He's not that much better as to where one nets you a probable lotto pick that's only top 3 protected and the other nets you a bottom 2nd rounder.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Simmons write-ups are funny and well thought out. His tweets? Not so much...

12. torocan

torocan Member

However, if you trade Lin you can sign Melo/Lebron for $17.9M, and then use Harden in a S&T for $14M x 125%, or close to $18M.

The highest chance of landing both is offering them a contract that lines up close to their max money (with state income tax), and then give them the OPTION of taking less money.

Presenting them with less money out of the gate is a bad negotiation strategy as it gives them one more reason to turn it down.

And if you land none of your big hitters, you still don't want to trade Lin as any upgrade would require a longer term contract commitment, hampering your cap space going into 2015 FA (LMA and potentially Love if he plays out the season).

You don't trade Lin until it's absolutely necessary as you can always trade him later, especially with the 4-19 pick in hand from NO.

If I'm Morey, Lin stays on the roster until you're absolutely sure that you need the cap space.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Melo should come to Houston simply because of Morey. If Melo is smart enough, he should know that Morey can improve the team, which is already equal to the Bulls, by adding a good cheap role player every year. The bulls could simply become a playoff team if Rose can not return back to 100%, which is likely.

14. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Rockets traded Asik
    Rockets trade Lin + 1st round + Parson + Jones for Kevin Love
    Rockets acquire Lebron James

Lineups:
    Beverley
    Harden
    Lebron
    Love
    Dwight

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Best of luck to my lil bro/homie <a href="https://twitter.com/JHarden13">@JHarden13</a> in H-Town! He bout to go HAM in his role now.</p>&mdash; LeBron James (@KingJames) <a href="https://twitter.com/KingJames/statuses/262394422241677312">October 28, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

To those saying they don't know each other. Team USA.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/let-the-nba-trading-season-begin/

17. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's unrealistic. If Chicago and Houston have enough cap space to sign Melo outright, what they pay in S&T would be modest. At some point, Melo prefers surrendering a little money to play for a stronger team. If Lebron enters the picture (unlikely), then an S&T can yield bigger rewards -- but then Miami and New York are in the bidding war.

19. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

[​IMG]

20. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I don't think Minny would take on Lin and they would want Parsons resigned so it isn't a one year rental, plus they would probably want that NO's pick and a couple more picks or more maybe.

I think this is still possible, but I think to make it happen, we would have to sign Lebron outright first by trading Lin and maybe DMo or others somewhere to make the cap space, along with what we gained from the Asik trade; and then trade for Love for it to work under the CBA. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong please.