1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ: Rockets among suitors for Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 14, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It would have to be Paul because no part of me believes Harden has any desire to do that at this point. In the last three years we have seen him actively disengage from a play if he isn't going to run it. When Dwight was here you could often tell when it was called as a post up for Dwight because Harden wouldn't participate in the play.

I don't know if it's conserving energy or what, but I don't believe he is ever going to work as a two guard again. When he has asked for help at the point in the past I think he has always meant off the bench.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

if u want to beat GS, you've got to get as many top 10 or close to top 10 players as possible on the same team and surround them with good role players...shooting 50 threes and hoping to get hot and beat them with variance isn't gonna do sh*t

Since Morey wants to continue to chase pipe dreams, I'm gonna need him to create a Big 3 of CP3, Harden, and PG here in Houston. Get it done Morey!!

Lawlruschang and BigShasta like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, Rockets were also already after him few years ago.

Same here, if he leaves L.A i can see him going to the Spurs, every other team is way behind.

And btw yeah, like others said, Paul would be amazing with MDA, he would really be our Nash, but for real. Problem is i'm not sure Harden is willing to move his fat ass without the ball...

#23 Vivi, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They are probably just trying to sit down and convince Paul to not sign with the Spurs.

5. jae713

jae713 Member

If anything, I would like CP3 for the attitude he could bring to the team. I would love to see his reaction on some of the plays Harden likes to take off. CP3 would rip him a new one.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

there's probably a few people in the league you can count on one hand, where it makes sense for harden to let someone else take some ball handling responsibility while still being an absolute threat. CP3 is one of those players

Lawlruschang and No Chance like this.
  7. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

As I said, either one of them can, it's just not the best use of either of their talents. I wouldn't be against picking up Paul if it's possible, since getting a top-ten player is rare, but I wouldn't expect it to be a perfect fit. Someone like Paul George would be a much better fit, IMO, even though I think Chris Paul is the superior player.

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Sleeve...

Chanmarr and Mr. Clutch like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

PG is an upgrade over Ariza. CP3 is an upgrade over beverley. I'd be fine with either. both are ideal fits imo

Dankstronaut likes this.
  10. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

11. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

This is all a ploy to get James Harden in a State Farm commercial...

12. Mr. Motiejunas

Paul on this team would be great. He'd keep Harden in check and we have another guy we can rely on if Harden were to choke again.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

CP3 isn't playing off ball lol

Harden is the one who would have to, he'd have to play more like he did during the 13-14 season...that was his most efficient season, and believe it or not, he actually had just a 28% usage rate that year

Harden probably wasn't willing to play off ball as much for guys like Jeremy Lin or Bev, but for CP3? CP3 is the better ball handler and decision maker, and it isn't even up for debate. Harden would understand that. CP3 is the point gawd. Harden is a very good passing SG that the Rockets have playing point. Harden isn't gonna morph into Reddick all of the sudden playing next to CP3, but he'd have to make it work.

Chanmarr and YOLO like this.
  14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He's got a good shot, can still spread the floor and can playmake.

What else would you ask for in a second star?... not saying he's a "perfect" fit because of his size and position but as seen in these playoffs with Kyrie and LeBron as long as you can spread the court and share the ball enough to attack the basket and playmake, you have a better chance of winning than before.

Now his chances of coming here on the other hand are extremely slim. If we somehow get him and one of (Blake Griffin, Gordon Hayward, or Melo) on lower than max contracts we actually have a chance to beat the Warriors and the Cavs. Huge IFS as well.

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Putting 'CP the flopper' next to James 'the initiator of contact to get a foul' Harden may result in some of the ugliest basketball of all time....

I'd love to acquire a Clipper... but it aint CP3.... I'd rather gamble on Blake as more of a position of need...

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

100% disagree. it would actually be pretty good basketball even great. not sure how anyone would agree with that actually

17. rockets13champs

"Something up my sleeve"

Chanmarr likes this.
  18. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Not surprised. I figure we'll be listed as suitors for pretty much every big name that's available but we'll end up with a couple of suspect role players as usual.

19. rockets13champs

In today's basketball u need multiple ball handlers. At the end of the season **** got too predictable. Spurs knew rockets would PNR every time with harden. If u get Paul u got 2 terrific ball handlers and u become less predictable and harder to defend

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

CP3 is the best pure point guard and best floor general even today in the league. his work is done best when he gets to facilitate on the regular.

Problem with that is Harden is a reluctant off the ball player. He is going to stay rooted to one position (usually top of the key) when he doesn't have the ball. We have seen that happen in the past

Unless Jim has a renaissance and decides to make plays off the ball (back door cuts, coming off a pick to the open spot etc), it doesn't make best use of both their abilities.