1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj on Draft Lottery Conspiracy Theories

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, May 30, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. cod

cod Member

Woj with another grubby opinion piece.

3. snc

snc Member

I really get the feeling that eventually some big piece of information is going to come out and bust this thing wide open. You'd be naive not to question what's going on.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

well, if the people are suspicious, then maybe they should be the one that goes in to represent each team during the actual lottery. Because it is done in front of representatives from all 30 teams plus some media members as well.

5. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

I hate Stern man

The NBA would be much bigger without this clown

He ruins everything

I only pray Adam Silver isnt as bad as this guy, but he is probably learning from the Master

6. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Yea right

Do it LIVE... what do you have to hide

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Whats funnier is everyone said before this this would happen. Its almost like you can call it easily now. That is pretty odd I admit. I dont know that you could guess this would happen so good. The odds are against this happening exactly like it did.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It's easy to rig lotto balls... esp behind closed doors

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I found it weird that Monty didn't blink when the 2nd pick was announced. If this was rigged, he knew, and tried too hard to fake and actually did the unnatural thing. Usually the winner smiles when the 2nd pick is announced..

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

No way they tell Monty Williams if they are going to rig the draft because there is just no reason to.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't understand why they do it behind closed doors any ways?

Wouldn't it be more legit if they showed the balls going into the machine...and then proceed to pick them out? Then no one would doubt it.

12. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

I have to admit, a few hours ago I would of called you all idiots and dumb theorists... But damnit... I'm starting to think like everyone else here.

How big would this have to be though? How many people would have to be involved in a yearly basis for it to be legit?

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Stern and perhaps the owners. No farther perhaps. For "basketball reasons" they probably decide. Its just a theory though. It just looks real odd for some reason. Last seasons draft was odd too.

14. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

ALL the owners and Stern? That seems like far too many people.
    What about that 3rd party they bring in for the lottery? They still claim that?

15. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Yes, because no one complains about the 1985 Draft Lotto.

There's no way the NBA can prove that it doesn't fake the lotto anymore than you can prove that you don't beat your wife. People will find excuses no matter the system. If they did a ping pong machine, the claim will be that the balls are weighted or something.

1 person likes this.
  16. cod

cod Member

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/05/29/10-fun-facts-about-the-draft-lottery/

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's simple.

Then you could have some fan that randomly won a contest pull the balls out. Seems it would be pretty hard to doubt then

Look, I said when it happened that NOH had a pretty good shot any ways as their % was like 13 (double digits always gives a team a great shot) but when you have NBA execs and FO people doubting it then that's something more than just some random Joe on a messageboard doubting it.

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

They no longer use balls if I'm not mistaken. It is computer generated now. Each team is given a set of number combinations, then the computer supposedly pulls a combo and spits it out. It is then matched to the team with that combo. then the computer pulls another set. If it is from the same set of combos from the first pick then the computer picks a new set. That has been the excuse of not doing it in public. According to the NBA it would be boring because the computer often picks several sets in a row that belong to the same team slot. I'm not trying to discount the conspiracy theories with this. If anything it makes me feel like it is a greater possibility for cheating. It would not be difficult to program the computer to spit out a certain set of numbers. Even possible to rig it to spit out some repeat combos.

I would liken it to playing CandyLand with my youngest son. I always rig the cards up so he will win. However, I like to add a little drama to it, rather than just setting it up wher ehe gets to jump way ahead then having him pull doubles until he wins out. I like to give myself one of the skip forward cards and make him sweat a bit, before I take a hit back close to the start. It gives the game a little more intrigue and makes it less obvious that I rigged the deck. It would be nothing for the NBA to program the computer to spit out a set the spit a set or two for the same team for a bit of intrigue and to throw off suspicions.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

20. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

How do you know that's a random fan and not some schmuck who is a servant of Stern?

Conspiracy theorists will be conspiracy theorists. Like I said, it's basically impossible for the NBA to prove it isn't rigging the lotto, and not many people believe it does anyways because that would destroy the NBA if it was ever revealed. God knows, before the draft everyone was just kind of assuming New Jersey would win, but that's completely ignored.