1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Melo will stay in NY

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hardLINer, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Raven

Raven Member

He's not fooling anyone.

2. calcium

calcium Member

Well, colour me surprised.

I'd have gone to the Bulls.

3. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Dude just wants to be a loser. What can you do?

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

So joining super friends - omg players in the past ride with their team forever
    Staying - He's a born loser

sigh at ppl

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Haters gonna hate. ;)

It's cool to see him stay. It won't be an easy year, but they can retool next summer and in 2016.

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I think the people are dumbfounded and annoyed at his decision because he stated a few times he just wants to win.

Considering the Knicks missed the playoffs last season playing in such a laughable conference - you can understand what he says is 100% different to what he eventually did.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]A few years ago I dreamed of coming back to New York City, the place of my birth, and on February 23, 2011 that became a reality. This organization has supported me and in return, I want to stay and build here with this city and my team. At this pivotal juncture in my career, I owed it to myself and my family to explore all of the options available to me. Through it all, my heart never wavered.

During this journey I met with some quality organizations who have amazing talent and leadership. I thank them for their consideration, belief in my talent, and opportunity to imagine the possibilities.

I will always remember this chapter in my life. In the end, I am a New York Knick at heart. I am looking forward to continue my career in Orange & Blue and to work with Phil Jackson, a champion who builds championship teams. Madison Square Garden is the mecca of basketball and I am surrounded by the greatest fans in the world.

http://www.thisismelo.com/[/rQUOTEr]

8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

It actually does help the team.

The contract is structured such that it decreases next season and then starts increasing the season after.

This gives the Knicks about $4M (had it been a max it would have increased by close to $2M, instead it decreases by about $2M) in additional caproom for the free-agency class of 2015 which includes Durant/Love/Westbrook/etc. That $4M could end up being a difference (we just gave up a first to dump $8M in Lin).

It was a smart contract.

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

"My heart never wavered"? :rolleyes:

10. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I don't think he's a scumbag, just a follower acting in the role of a leader. He's not a alpha dog. Those competitive genes that Kobe, MJ &
    Magic were born with, Melo just doesn't have. He's more concerned with building his & his attention seeking wife's brand. Chris Bosh is in the same category

11. torocan

torocan Member

A really smart contract would have been 2 year max with 2nd year opt out.

IE, gets paid max this season and gets to see how FA is shaping up next season. And gives the team maximum flexibility in terms of signing FA's and tooling his contract if they have a chance to land more than 1 FA. Not to mention the benefit of having the ability to renegotiate around the new TV deal. And if the Knicks don't land anyone, he can re-sign into another max deal.

Or barring that I would have preferred to see him take a discount more along the lines of the Bi-annual... $2.5M/year over 5 years = $12.5M, or $116-$117M.

12. Major

Major Member

So would he be a leader if he jumped ship and went to an already contending team to create superfriends instead of trying to build something in NY?

13. Major

Major Member

That would be extraordinarily dumb on his part if he suffered a significant injury in the next two years.

14. Bosh4

Bosh4 Member

I shake my head when I read people who get mad at a guy taking less to create a super team and win, then the same people get mad when someone chooses the money on a mediocre team. It doesn't make any sense. Which one is it? Oh, I get it, you're simply mad that he didn't choose YOUR team whether he formed a superteam or chose the money.... Bias is the most ridiculous human trait and it ruins message board discussions.

15. Mr. Space City

melo is not wining a ship anyways why not get the money.

*does johnny manziel money celebration*

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well at least the superstars are spreading out instead of lumping together, league is getting stronger instead of a few individual teams.

Knick's
    Cavaliers
    Raptors
    Heat
    Pacers
    Wizards
    Hawks
    Bulls
    Hornets

Should all be respectable teams, If Lowry came here, Anthony went to the Bulls, James stayed in Miami, It would of kicked 3 teams off that list, Raptors, Cavs and Knick's. Glad the east is getting stronger and became more evened out.

17. monster

monster Member

What he wanted this whole time (and got) was for teams to fawn all over him and stroke his ego. He saw how Dwight was treated last year and he wanted the same. He said so in the beginning. He's a gear talent, but I'm in no way disappointed he didn't sign with us. With his ego satisfied, it was about gettin paid. $6mil less than he could have gotten over 5yrs?!? And that sincere letter that somebody wrote for him. PFFFT!!!! This guy is so transparent.

18. roidrage

roidrage Member

I don't understand that he said he was all about rings he had enough money....what a weird liar he will never get a ring now....I Houston has no state income he would have gotten plenty here wow