1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Mavericks, Rockets have discussed Rajon Rondo trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 17, 2014.

1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

For a salary match purpose, not for a player to play the games today. So there is no need for a physical, as long as he is on the team roster. I think I am right for this.

2. solodolo

solodolo Member

3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I really don't see how Dallas can out bid is on Rondo.

The only way they get him is if we don't want him very bad.

I really don't see why Boston would be interested in the rumored offer from Dallas.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A couple of things.

1. Bev is shooting 63% from the FT line, that's not quite "barely 50%" and is his career low and is a small sample
    2. Bev shoots 78% from the line for his career.
    3. Rondo is a career 61% shooter
    4. Dwight Howard is a career 57% FT shooter
    5. Rondo would just add another player that teams could play "hack a" with because he's terrible.

If you want to lose Bev and make the Rockets the worst FT shooting team in the league, and completely screw up the offense, by all means, trade for Rondo.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

i never mentioned us losing beverly. and the point was beverly was at 50% at a small sample size cause beverly doesn't get to the line enough either. rondo is respectable from the line when it comes down to playoffs. and its been proven. how people criticize and knock rondo whose been a proven player and champion puzzles me.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You didn't mention us losing Beverley, but it would almost certainly happen as a result. I guess you don't realize the difference between a good shooter struggling in a small sample (Beverley) and a terrible shooter just being terrible at shooting (Rondo). It's actually a huge difference.

Take last night's game for example, it came down to Bev hitting FT's. Even though Bev slumped early in the season, I was confident he'd nail them because he's a good shooter, if that was Rondo instead, we'd have been screwed.

There's simply no defending Rondo's fit on the Rockets. He can't shoot and would have to diminish Harden's game to be of any value whatsoever on offense.

7. cml750

cml750 Member

Beverly does not have the ball in his hands the way Rondo would command it. So yes it a a very big deal. If the ball is in Hardens hands then the effectiveness of a Rondo is zero due to the lack of his offense. To be effective he has to have the ball to dish it out to teammates. This is when he would be fouled like on the inbound passes. I can also almost guarantee he would be sent to the line ever time he drives the lane too.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Larsv8's post really makes me think there is a chance we can get Rondo without trading significant assets. The market is depressed because of Rondo's demands and a lot of teams have point guards. If the best rumored offer is Wright and 2 low firsts (that trade doesn't make much sense). Pelicans pick, Knicks second, Capella, and Canaan trumps that.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

ok if your're going to go that route. howard hit some clutch FT's to keep houston within 1 and hes supposed to be a worse FT than rondo. so obviously the numbers say he should have missed probably both right. there's plenty to say rondo could absolutely help the rockets and probably take them up another level. all you're focusing is shooting, and there's plenty of other dimensions that's made rondo a top pg in the league.

10. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

If we had Rondo it is highly possible that we would be up by enough points so that those crucial FTs wouldn't even be happening.

11. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Rondo alone is not a problem, but having Rondo and Howard together on the floor on at same time would be a problem. In the end of game, the people will foul Rondo and Howard on purpose.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

i guess you didn't see the real point of that post

13. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Rondo or not, the Rockets cant still improve the roster with the TPE.

Rondo is awesome, but a back up big or additional wing player would be just as valuable to the Rockets.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm focusing on shooting because that's what we need from our PG to fit with Harden. You have to be able to shoot in order to have some value to an offense off ball, Rondo has 0 value to any team on offense if he isn't running the offense. When you are next to Harden, he's simply going to run the offense from time to time because he's one of the best players in the league. His other dimensions like being the 4th best player on a championship team once upon a time or the fact that he's really good at passing when he can dominate the ball, or that once upon a time he was a good defender isn't really relevant or rather not more relevant than the fact that he's a terrible fit with the team.

15. TheJet

TheJet Member

Champion caliber Rondo hasn't been seen in more than two seasons. His defense has declined and he's not getting to the rim as much. Is it due to injury? Bad teammates? Apathetic play? Who knows. But the guy we're talking about trading for right now is not the same all star player we all remember. That's my biggest worry. People are hung up on the name and what he was four years ago, not the player he is right now.

Now Lars made great points. If this is a chance to "buy low" I'm more inclined to give it a chance. But if we have to give up significant assets or options that could negatively impact us down the road I say no sale.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

As long as we don't give up D-Mo, Jones, or our starting 5 for rondo I would be okay. Don't want to give up Terry either.

I just love our team's chemistry and development this year too much.

17. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sacramento's discussed Rondo w/ Celtics in past, but Boston's asking price is too high for Kings to re-start talks now, sources tell Yahoo.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/545674306676854784">December 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Getting Rondo on the cheap talks, should stop now

19. marky :)

marky :) Member

To me I think the question we should ask about these trade talks is which route is best to lower Harden's usage. He's logging in so many minutes night in and night out and we can't rely on that for the rest of the season much less the playoffs. It's also a long-term health issue. We can't rely on one player to play that hard for so long. I think everyone here including myself is worried that if we add Rondo, Harden's production will decrease due to not being the dominant play maker for majority of the game. We have to get the right player that can lower Harden's usage and still give Harden the opportunity to do what he does best. So yes, it does relate to chemistry but no one here can really determine how Rondo or any other player will affect this team.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

&nbsp;