1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Woj] Mavericks, Rockets have discussed Rajon Rondo trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 17, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You are right. Dorsey is actually a more efficient scorer than Rondo.

Sorry, I can't think of a player as bad offensively as Rondo to point to.

.40% from the floor, 25% from three and 33% from the FT line.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

And that is priceless for this team IMO.

3. kemah

kemah Member

lol

I was directing that to several posts that had Ellis as a piece for Rondo. Bad deal for Mavs but in the east Ellis will not be a chucker.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

yet how is he one of the top pgs in the league

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

All those guys are quick shooters. Harden needs the ball to create. Howard needs the ball to create. Arguably, Ariza is the only one who doesn't need the ball to create a shot for himself.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Dallas will never agree to a 3 way deal with us.

7. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

we are not getting Dragic at all, wish people would stop going on about him

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

He was with Milwaukee. He is a great number 2. He's matured a lot since GS. The problem is, as a number 1 option (which he would be for Boston) he is a chucker.

1 person likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

harden needs the ball to create because he has to, as there isn't many others that can create consistently. I don't really see how a proven player like Rondo with his strengths is a bad thing. people can knock his shot all they want. its nothing new. players have to guard rondo when hes out on that floor.

10. justtxyank

Not convinced he is personally.

That said, where he is ideal is on a team where he is surrounded by jumpshooters to create for. That's not what the Rockets are.

11. omgTHEpotential

Is he? 'A TOP PG IN THE LEAGUE' in my books is equivalent to a TOP5 PG in the league, which Rondo is not.

1) Paul
    2) Curry
    3) Westbrook
    4) Lowry
    5) Wall

Honorable mentions: Teague, Parker, Lawson, Conley, Lillard, Dragic, Bledsoe.

I might put Rondo in the honorable mentions, but he's no TOP5 PG.

1 person likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

if he was top 5, i probably would have mentioned it. so no I wouldn't put him top 5. but he's in the top half in the NBA definitely.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

the rockets aren't jumpshooters? how many 3's to they take every single game.

14. omgTHEpotential

Meaning he's an above average PG. Alright, I can agree on that.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Gun to your head, who would you rather bring the ball up and create for this team? Rondo or Harden? I'd choose Harden every time. I'd much rather have another big, maybe an enforcer type of player.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Everyone wants to focus on Rondo's shooting, and I'll admit that shooting isn't what he brings to the table. But what's being overlooked is what he DOES bring to the table and one of this team's most glaring needs.

We're all very accustomed to those extended stretches where the team’s jumpers just aren't falling. That has been the culprit for nearly every loss this team has had this season and the cause for needing James and co to habitually conjure up these amazing late game heroics that we've also come accustomed to lately.

I love watching James take over games late and will the team to wins, but we all know that every close game just can’t be won that way. Banking on Harden to consistently sink step back threes with less than a minute to go just isn’t going to take this team to that next level. Knowing that James can take over and do that for you when needed, is great. Counting on him to do it regularly is flat out foolish.

So how do you minimize the need for Harden to consistently single handedly win games? You mitigate the effect of shooting droughts. Low hanging fruit… Free throws, open jumpers, shots at the rim. And Rondo is a guy who can create all three during those shooting droughts. He’ll attack the basket, create foul trouble for the opponent, and get others easy shots. Double off him if you want, he’ll just collapse your defense, find open shooters and bigs, or finish with floaters or at the rim.

Furthermore… How do you slow down LMA, Blake Griffin, Dirk, etc… You get them in foul trouble. DH can do that for you, D-Mo is starting to look like he can do that for you, and Rondo would just exacerbate the issue by living in the paint. LMA, Blake, Dirk – Those guys are superstars because they can’t be consistently stopped. In football, you stop potent offenses by keeping them off the field. Same premise here, limit their minutes by keeping them in foul trouble and you help limit their effect on the game.

Taking some of the weight off of Harden's shoulders and making this team less one dimensional by strengthening it's immunity against shooting droughts is a good thing. Having a playmaker who doesn’t depend on his jumper during times that the basket has a lid on it is a good thing. That’s my case for Rondo. And if this trade can happen while keeping Bev, D-Mo, and to a lesser extent Jet you do it TODAY.

1 person likes this.
  17. justtxyank

Let me clarify. Ray Allen was a guy who could run around and catch a pass and take a shot after coming off a screen.

The Rockets don't really have elite shooters at all, but they certainly don't have guys like that.

Not to mention that Rondo has actually regressed from his best days where he was good enough that you had to respect him offensively. Rondo is a guy now that you are begging to take a shot.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

of course I'd pick harden but to me rondo next to harden isn't really a bad thing for him or for the team in general. he can make alot of things easier.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

With Celtics president Danny Ainge seriously engaging several teams on Rondo trade scenarios, a league source told CBSSports.com Thursday that the point guard is open to re-signing with at least two of them -- the Mavericks and Rockets.

Other teams, including the Lakers and Knicks, have been on the periphery of talks. But Ainge is unlikely to deal Rondo within the conference, much less within the division. As for the Lakers, who can offer a top-five protected pick in 2015 and Steve Nash's $9.7 million expiring contract (paid mostly by insurance), they are viewed as more of an option for Rondo in free agency next summer if he is not traded by the Feb. 19 deadline.

Given Rondo's looming unrestricted free agency, any deal would have to come with assurances that he'd be willing to re-sign with his new team. While those discussions have yet to take place with agent Bill Duffy since no trade agreement is in place, a person familiar with Rondo's thinking said the possibility of competing for championships in Dallas or Houston intrigues him.

This is not to say Rondo is seeking a trade. Asked after Wednesday night's 109-92 victory over Orlando if he wanted to stay in Boston, Rondo told reporters, "How many times do you want me to say it? ... My thoughts and my opinions as far as the organization haven't changed."

But Ainge's willingness to engage teams in serious trade talks for Rondo certainly has -- and on several levels, it's easy to see why.

Plug Rondo into Dallas' lineup in place of Jameer Nelson, and the mind races with the possibilities. With Houston, there would seem to be less upside with Rondo presumably taking playing time away from Patrick Beverley.

One thing is certain, though: The Rockets will use their $8.4 million trade exception from the Jeremy Lin trade with the Lakers this past summer to acquire a player before Dec. 19 -- the deadline for acquiring players who can be dealt again on Feb. 19 under league rules. So the assets Daryl Morey has to include in a Rondo package could be vastly different by the close of business on Friday.

If the Celtics are ever going to trade Rondo, now is the time. The consequences would reverberate from top to bottom in the Western Conference.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24899304/source-rajon-rondo-open-to-re-signing-with-mavs-or-rockets

20. cheatpnz

cheatpnz Member

Rajon Rondo would re-sign with Mavs or Rockets if traded there

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="no"><p>Rajon Rondo is reportedly open to re-signing with Dallas or Houston if he is traded there. <a href="http://t.co/CV7GfJ5FbM">http://t.co/CV7GfJ5FbM</a> <a href="http://t.co/c0ibgUDnEl">pic.twitter.com/c0ibgUDnEl</a></p>&mdash; theScore (@theScore) <a href="https://twitter.com/theScore/status/545615452861243392">18. desember 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>