1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Lakers Fire Byron Scott

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nick_713, Apr 24, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. PeppermintCandy

Wow, it's like they really hired him because Kobe probably likes him and wanted him for his farewell tour. At least he got paid.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

kinda feels like the hinkie situation. not that you could really argue either did well, but they basically seemed to come in and execute the game plan that everyone agreed to and then when they did it, they were fired.

4. Remlap

Remlap Member

HA. That's what I was going to say.

We have a our new candidate for HC!

5. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I don't think JVG will go there, even if they do get that #1 overall pick. The reason is Jim Buss. He has put that franchise in a terrible state after Dr. Buss passed away. Kobe's contract (despite the opinion that Kobe demanded that much, Jim Buss offered Kobe that deal; I know full well most (not all) people would not turn down $48 million for 2 years at the tail end of your career, I know I wouldn't turn that down).

If Durant is truly serious about winning a ring immediately, like he states he is, LAL is not an option at all in this offseason.

Yes, Leslie...who's on your hit list???

6. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I disagree. He was there for tanking purposes only for Kobe to let him take most of the shots. JBb is the worst coach I've ever seen in the NBA

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Please let this happen.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He seems to be a pretty bad coach though many question able rotation decisions and the whole "no 3s" thing.

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

Great, another team who will take a good coach while Leslie is considering J.B. and Finch.

10. valorita

valorita Member

I just hope we see a woj bomb saying "jbb fired by rockets" headline soon.

And no, i am not insensitive because i am sure he can find a job elsewhere and he is not in a financial crux

11. malakas

malakas Member

why it took them that long?

The Lakers aren't in such a bad state as many here seem to believe.
    Kobe's contract is off the books, Hibbert is off the books, and they only have Nick Young for a bad contract for two more seasons, and two picks owed. But they have good enough protections.

Ofcourse if they sign Derozan or Barnes to a max then their future situation will change soon. (for the worse).

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn! I was hoping he'd be there for a long time.

13. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Don't worry.... The Bus family is already doing that!

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not that he doesn't deserves the firing. But yeah, that's what it was in a nutshell.

He actually came up with a great game plan for Kobe's 60-point farewell game.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

And Byron Scott would take that deal every time. He knew the score.

It worked for both sides.

16. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

So Lakers are finally ready to stop tanking?

Byron Scott was doing a great job tanking and managing Kobe's farewell tour.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Although he is happy coaching UConn, I'm told Kevin Ollie is intrigued about Lakers' head-coaching vacancy. <a href="https://t.co/F4xOmPF0CP">https://t.co/F4xOmPF0CP</a></p>&mdash; Mark Medina (@MarkG_Medina) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/status/724650167324930048">April 25, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As <a href="https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA">@WojVerticalNBA</a> has reported, Tom Thibodeau absolutely would have given the Lakers a look. Timing is everything in life.</p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/724636746345009153">April 25, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Scott is behind the times and is totally militant about it, too. He might have been OK at one point but just look at his last 5 teams' record and it is hard to say that the head coach does not bear at least some blame.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Does anyone not believe the Lakers will win the #1 pick?

Of course the NBA is going to put Simmons in a Lakers uniform.

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Wonder how Kevin Ollie feels about coaching the rockets.