1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Kelvin Sampson candidate for Brooklyn coaching job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Dec 28, 2012.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

When clutch says "On a serious note", it implies that he was joking prior.

2. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Many fans (LOFs and non-LOFs alike) were upset at the Portland OT benching particularly because Lin had a great game, not because he struggled. I think the majority of people wouldn't care if Sampson took him out after a poor performance. As a lawyer, I would expect you to get all the details correct. :p

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Clutch actually questioned the decision at that time too, or at least said that it was a "controversial" thing.

It was a tongue-in-cheek post by Clutch in this thread. I'm surprised so many people missed the sarcasm.

4. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Unfortunately, it inadvertantly started the whole LOH vs LOF crap that's getting really old and tiresome.

5. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

I doubt it. A few games won't convince teams to hire anyone as a head coach. Rather, it's more probable that they've seen his entire body of work. Having said that, I don't think the Nets will hire Sampson - getting a more established coach, ie. JVG, will be better for them.

6. PeppermintCandy

I don't think there was much sarcasm in this post by Clutch:

7. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Sarcasm or not, it doesn't really matter. The way I see it, Clutch is the moderator and owner of this site. He can do whatever he please. If a member can not accept it, he (she) can GTFO and create a site on his own. Judging by number of members and other Rockets fan forums, he must be doing something right.

It's not easy to operate a site like CF on a long term basis. It can become tiresome and certainly not for someone who isn't passionate about Rockets basketball.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Since the moment you signed up with Clutchfans its been one complaint after another from you. You are one of the worst offenders in this whole "LOH vs LOF crap."

You were upset that Harden was designated as our star player by the coaches when we acquired him. You wanted McHale fired, you wanted Sampson to go, you have constantly complained about the rotation, you've complained about the abilities of pretty much every player on our team. You complain about other posters, you complain about the Rockets fans, and now you complain about Clutch.

You were obviously wrong about Harden. And I think when you look at our record it's clear you were wrong about wanting McHale and Sampson fired. McHale and Sampson have done a remarkable job with the youngest team in the league, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if at the end of the season McHale is named Coach of the Year.

I think it's clear that Morey and McHale have a plan for building the Rockets into a contender. You may not agree with the plan, because it may not include having Lin get the most shots, or have Lin handle the ball all the time. But Morey and McHale are focused more on what the team accomplishes as a unit, than what any one player accomplishes individually.

You need to give McHale and the coaching staff a chance to mold this team into what they want before you start slamming them for every move they make. McHale has stated that they are a long way from where they want to be and that it's going to take some time to get there. The Rockets are going to be making trades and fine tuning their roster for probably another two years. Lets just let the young players and the team develop, and let Morey acquire the right pieces before we start demanding that coaches get fired. The Rockets have made great strides in rebuilding their team so far this year, but it's still just the beginning.

4 people like this.
  9. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

They're not a contender insofar as it is critical to the long-term health of their team that they have a successful season in the first year of their rebrand / relocation.

If the Nets pan out as an Eastern Conference 9th or 10th seed, then it may alienate their new fans who are still testing the waters with the new team.

Is it unrealistic and silly? Does it strain credulity and what it means to be a fan of a team? Probably, but that's the way it is with new teams. There are no diehards yet who will stick with a team through thick and thin, and so the relationship between the team and its fans is very fragile at first.

And it was being hurt fast. The expectations in Brooklyn were always that the Nets are a playoff team, and that the organization wants nothing more than the chance to put their best foot forward, show off the Barclays Center on national television, and just have something to build on going forward.

That's why the Lil' General lost his job. Expectations were always abundantly reasonable when it came to the Nets in the awful East, and when even a playoff berth seemed to be in jeopardy, Nets management felt they had to act quickly.

Kelvin Sampson may not be the same caliber of coach as a Phil Jackson or a Jeff van Gundy and some of these other names the Nets are chasing right now, but he *will* be an upgrade over Avery Johnson.

It's not that Avery was bad. It's just that Johnson has a reputation for being a highly competent if uncompromising taskmaster who will ride his players, and especially his point guards, pretty hard if they make mistakes or aren't giving a full effort. It was only a matter of time before this caused a problem with Deron Williams. If the Nets like the way Sampson "connected" with the Rockets stars during his stint as head coach, then maybe part of that is Sampson, or maybe it's just that the Rockets star players are a lot easier to connect *with* than Deron Williams. Something to consider I suppose.

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

False alarm?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-to-wait-if-they-want-jeff-van-gundy/1798031/

Back when Ryen Russillo was still doing the NBA today podcast he mentioned that Sampson's reps would constantly throw his name out there and offer Sampson to do interviews on ESPN radio and so on... Mentioned it again, yesterday. Take it FWIW.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Kelvin Sampson's reps do a great job of getting him mentioned as a candidate for every open job.</p>&mdash; Russillo (@ryenarussillo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ryenarussillo/status/284838323640471552" data-datetime="2012-12-29T01:48:43+00:00">December 29, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

JVG in this biatch.

12. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

That makes a lot more sense. It's just Sampson's agent and crew trying to get him more attention to build profile for future jobs. The Nets are in win-now mode, so I doubt they'll risk a newbie coach who made crucial game losing mistakes in his short stint as interim head coach (can't believe he left out Asik when we needed that rebound to seal the game).

13. trowa2

trowa2 Member

so did he get the job or not?

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Sources have told ESPN.com, however, that the Nets are indeed searching for a permanent replacement for Johnson and have made Jackson their top target. Prokhorov said repeatedly Friday that Carlesimo will get a chance to turn the team around but also said he'd be involved if the team decided to make another coaching change.

"I will be involved personally," Prokhorov said.

Sounds like they want a proven coach.