1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Kelvin Sampson candidate for Brooklyn coaching job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Dec 28, 2012.

1. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Unfortunately, this is the culture. :eek:

2. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

See, this is a very troll-like post. Now I'm not accusing you of being a troll, but at least the contents of that post don't add anything to the discussion.

Also, he has a 2012 join date and he's insulting a 2008 vet...

Anyway, while I would like to keep Sampson as he's proven to be quite capable as an assistant, I can see how he would jump at the opportunity to be a head coach. More pay and more prestige are hard to turn down.

3. juanm34

juanm34 Member

The lotto pick

4. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Very sensible post. NY media will eat him alive if he makes 'rookie' mistakes; Heat game, not subbing in Asik for a crucial free throw and Blazers game.

We all know the rivalry in NYC. Tension and competition are high and media are constantly scrutinizing the two teams. Brooklyn fans will not be as forgiven as Rockets fans. As a rookie NBA HC by default, Sampson will not get respect from a bunch of vet players (Spoelstra). If he makes a few rookie mistakes and players not buying in, situation will deteriorate fast.

An experienced coach is better suited for BKNets.

5. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

I think now JVG is now in the mix LOL....Go JVG!!!!!

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Nets are not going to hire Sampson. They have an average team with a propped up record due to being in the Eastern conference, a bunch of former stars with big egos, bad chemistry, and over-estimated talent by ownership and fans.

They're going throw huge money at a known coach like Jackson, Sloan, JVG(or SVG if they give up the Dwight dream), etc. And someone is going to to go for the cash grab.

7. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

^^limited number of head coaching jobs in the NBA ... if Samson gets an offer he should take it.

8. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Am I weird for liking JVG too much and saying he was the best ROX coach?

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

I don't see Sampson getting this BK job. Nothing to do with him as a coach but it being Brooklyn.

10. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

OK seriously, who is available and NOT a candidate? I think ALL the names have come up, about 20 of them...

11. PeppermintCandy

I don't want Sampson to get the job for selfish reasons. He is a huge asset to this coaching staff and the development of our young players.

Besides, I think the Nyets will be looking for a coach with a higher profile. Someone like Jeff Van Gundy would be a great fit - good hc record, recognizable name and connection to NYC.

BTW Gundy said he would not consider the job as long as another coach is in place, interim or otherwise. Much respect for the man and his code of conduct.

12. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

I doubt Sampson will get it, and for his sake I hope he doesn't. The players' egos on that team will rip Sampson apart. He's too nice of a guy to go through that crap.

13. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

2012er
    2008er
    2000er
    2012er
    2009er
    2006er
    2002er
    2010er

And yes, LOFs get blamed for the "vets' comments...lol

Just like the eye test....just because...lol

14. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

this i agree. TD contributes to this team by his clutch 3s. yeah, sometimes he overplays as pg, but soon mchale will figure this out and tame him. td is td, just a matter of using him the right way.

15. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Probably because Sampson was called racist quite a few times for benching Lin. It was obvious that many 2012ers didn't take too kindly to that.

16. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

I was talking about the post history of this thread. Did you see any ridiculous statement by a 2012er in the first part of this thread before Clutch posted his comment? None!

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

That's the reason they get blamed, reputation!

18. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Except the people that called him "racist" were most likely trolls pretending to be LOFs.

They made the more crazy and outlandish posts and it seems a lot of people are falling for it and thinking it's really Lin fans when in reality it's trolls (not even haters, just trolls trying to have fun :eek: ).

19. Grigori

Grigori Member

Yes, that is very weird, because Rudy is obviously better.

You can always tell how good a coach is by how little you have to talk about what he does or doesn't do as a coach. When you don't have to talk about a coach's coaching, that's when you have a great coach.

20. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Let's agree to disagree. With a young Hakeem, Horry, Elie, Cassell....not much coaching was needed. The last 6 years of his tenure were pretty awful. JVG has almost always led his team to the playoffs. Even during 3 of the 4 years he was here, he led us to the playoffs...just my humble opinion.