1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] JVG no longer a candidate for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, May 18, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look even closer - they had very good players such as Artest, Scola, Brooks, and others that JVG never had.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

We're interviewing random assistants and former Rockets players with no coaching experience yet we seemingly show ZERO interest in the best coach available? Despite said coach's interest in joining us?

GTFO. This doesn't add up.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I am. It appears that the owner is placing his style preference and entertainment over winning. Pick the best coach. WTF cares about your preference for offense.

His team and that's his right, but don't knock someone for getting tired of supporting when winning clearly takes a backseat.

4. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

I looked even closer and saw they twice blew 2-0 series leads. 2005 with fourth quarter leads in home games 3 and 4. 2007 losing at home in game 7 with a fourth quarter lead.

Yeah you are right. It's never coaches fault. Just like it's not JBBs fault this year right? He has crap players outside of harden, right?

Please tell me what was the greatest moment of Gundys rockets tenure?

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

the fact that you ignore the differences in supporting cast shows you really don't care to look closer.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There have been TONS of coaching openings since JVG last coached.

There are TONS this year alone. Min, LA, Wash, Hou, Orlando, Indiana, Memphis, Sacramento, NYK, Phoenix (kind of). That's about 1/3 of the league.

As far as I can tell, JVG has had a few interviews over the years, but its not like all these teams are clamoring to interview him. And when he has interviewed, other coaches have been selected as better fits over him.

So what criteria are you using that makes him the best coach available?

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So depressing. Les you suck

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--jeff-van-gundy-out-of-running-for-rockets-job-190308275.html

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I hope not, but I would not be surprised if this leads to Morey wanting to leave the organization. He ends up taking the heat for the bad decisions that Les forces upon him.

9. baller4life315

JVG is the Bill Cowher of basketball. Proven. Respected. Successful.

Both have been balancing their careers in broadcasting with their interest in eventually returning to coaching. Obviously, their success in broadcasting hasn't exactly left them hurting for a paycheck thus there's no need for them to rush back into coaching. But the interest is there and there are countless teams across the league that would kill to have JVG if/when he eventually decides to return to coaching. Was hoping it could have been us.

10. Stepping Razor

It would be ideal if they could have gotten JVG as a defensive coordinator. Unless they safe face and get a great defensive minded coach to pair with MDA, this might be a hard pill to swallow. Let see what happens by season start though!

11. SunsRocketsfan

umm All reports said Morey was in favor of Gundy but was overruled by greed stupid ass Les. Les said himself said he was going to take the lead on the next coaching search.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...aining-steam-houston-rockets-coaching-vacancy

12. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

When you have two top 10 players on your team, that's going to mean the rest of your team is not as good unless they take huge discounts. Not a shocking revelation. Maybe they were not good enough to win it all, but I don't think it's too much to ask for just 1 playoff series win when you have two top 10 players on your team. That's just me though.

So again, what was jVg's greatest coaching moment that leaves no doubt in your mind 9 years later he will be awesome?

A lot of coulda, woulda, and shoulda when it comes to jVg fans.

13. SunsRocketsfan

Cuban >>>>>> Les

almost any NBA owner seems >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Les

14. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Wow. I am honestly at a loss for words here. This is a nightmare.

15. SunsRocketsfan

yet we interviewed all these folks

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...aining-steam-houston-rockets-coaching-vacancy

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No he's not. For one, he never won the ring that Cowher did. For two, like JVG, I think the longer Cowher is out, the less attractive he's gotten. You used to hear a lot of noise about how Cowher would make sense in place x,y, or z... you don't hear that anymore.

For three... just factually, there have been tons of NBA openings the last few years, and not many of those teams were interested in JVG. The ones that you know were... NOP, Minnesota... wen ta different direction.

I have absolutely no clue what the front office is doing, don't care for the Pringles rumors, etc. But not sure why people are freaking out over JVG. The NBA is an entirely different animal since he last coached... and oh yeah when he last coached his tenure ended in underachievement.

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Game 7 Home loss to the Jazz stings Les.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Welp, go F yourself Les. Hopefully you are not the owner for much longer.

19. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

If it's true Morey actually wanted JVG, but Les overruled him for Dan Tony, I'm done with the Rockets as long as he is the owner.

20. baller4life315

Bringing up winning a ring (vs. "just" reaching the NBA Finals) as your best counterargument is more of an example of how no comparison is perfect than it is anything else.

Again, these are two very successful broadcasters. There's been little need for them to rush back into coaching. Just because they aren't mentioned in EVERY single rumor for a head coaching vacancy doesn't mean there isn't interest if/when these guys decide to return to coaching.

Much like you, I've been following this whole coaching free agency thing closely. The best three coaches available, IMO, are JVG, Vogel and Mark Jackson. We didn't interview two of them, which is the source of my frustration. That and Coach Pringles' failures are still very fresh in my memory. JVG's strengths would suit this team very well, but I guess Les has other plans.