1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Woj] JVG no longer a candidate for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, May 18, 2016.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Was he commentating the Cavs/Raps game?

2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yes_.

3. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'm not upset JVG wasn't seriously considered. For me I just wanted a HC that could instill discipline on ideally both ends. We lacked discipline and accountability mostly on the defensive end so JVG made the most sense in that way. Could Pringles instill discipline on the offensive end? Maybe, but I don't have much confidence that he can get these players in line.

Probably the most disappointing thing is that this tells me Les isn't really about becoming a disciplined team as much as he is about creating some entertaining games for a fickle fanbase.

4. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

It's been since 2007 since jVg coached. He's never won a title. No playoff wins since 2000. Congrats on losing the 1999 NBA finals during the crappy lockout shortened 50 game season when every game was like 88-80 and all the players were out of shape because they they thought the season wasn't going to happen.

At this point, the ship has sailed on his coaching career. Either every owner thinks someone else is better or if he was ever offered anything since 2007 he never accepted so that means he must not want to coach too bad. I'm aware he's interviewed recently but again either no offers or he really didn't want to coach.

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Which of the Houston Rockets players are you?

Because your basketball IQ is pretty damn poor too if you think this Houston Rockets team that plays much smarter and more cohesive on the defensive end, isn't advancing past the first round.

JVG has still been very active within the league, it's not as if he's taken a hiatus from all things basketball.

Listening him commentate Warriors games and speaking about what the other team needs to do to combat offensive set 'x' that the Warriors are setting up for...... to then see the opposing team actually do it and force a turnover or a horrendous shot is a thing of beauty.

The guy truly is one of the smartest minds there is in the basketball world.

You = Tinman
    JVG = McGrady

Why do you have a personal vendetta against him?

If you have a really good, easy and well paying job (say, like being an NBA broadcaster) would you apply for jobs that take drastic tolls on your health and well being, playing mind games with owners and never knowing which day could be your last of employment (say, like a head coach of many of the dysfunctional franchises in the League - Houston excluded since this whole *****ty franchise thing has just hit us like a pile of bricks)

Take the hater glasses off man. Join a self help group with Tinman, they'll probably give group discounts.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

JVG was far from ideal and I'm starting to think Morey loves D'antoni a lot more than some here think.

7. Eric00009

Eric00009 Member

I think it's a reason jb didn't want the coaching job I think management is messing up this team. It's clear now by this news

8. Eric00009

Eric00009 Member

This 3 ball system is the death of this team it ruined dwight howard smh I hate the rockets

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Personally I wanted Van Gundy but from everything I've read (haven't discussed with DM) it seems to me Morey couldn't get Les to even consider him. And it seems very "Les" to me to refuse to take a meeting with someone he is refusing to consider. And when you think about the JVG/Rockets years and consider the fact that when JVG was fired Les openly pined for a Phoenix style of play, especially offense, a D'Antoni hire makes a lot of sense.

If the news reports are true and Morey wanted JVG, it seems a bit unfair that his job will hang on the relative success of the owner's pick but that's the business.

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Did you have trouble with reading comprehension in school? Every news story says Morey wanted Van Gundy and that this hire comes straight from Les. You would blame a rainy day on Morey.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Because he knew he wouldn't be asked back. He also knew he sucked.

12. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

WTF Rockets WTF just likes to push his agenda ... And his basketball understanding is kindergarten level.

13. MistaK

MistaK Member

Sure looks that way, doesn't it? Not even worth bothering when it comes to him and certain other posters.

Take any article and post it and regardless of the names mentioned in those articles, said posters, will always read it to be MAURI and HAREN...to them, both MAURI and HAREN, are holding the franchise hostage...

14. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

So tell me how far did those smart tmac/Yao jVg teams go?

So what he's been around the game with broadcasting? So has hubie brown and Calvin Murphy.

So does he have health problems that nobody knows about? If he really wanted to coach he would be coaching or somebody would want him over Alvin gentry or Thibs

Being a hater = pointing to facts such as 0-3 in playoffs during last rockets run and no playoff success since 2000 and yet people act like he's Phil Jackson or Pop

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

A sample size of 20 games is hardly representative of someone's coaching abilities, especially with a team starting Ryan Bowen.

16. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Not the roster excuse again. They had 2 top 10 players and couldn't get out the first.

When you keep losing in the first its hard to build up playoff games bc you only get 4-7 games a year.

ryan Bowen? This rockets team starts Beverly. So jVg would not do good with this team then.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

They had 2 top players in the playoffs in two first round series, both of which went 7 games. They also didn't decide to play 2 on 2 those years for the playoffs, and when you are starting the likes of Ryan Bowen or Chuck Hayes, you are effectively playing 4 on 5. Even with those disadvantages, the Mavs had to be given the series by the refs, allowing Michael Finley to play from out of bounds.

Babe Ruth has better postseason pitching stats than just about anyone in the history of baseball. It only adds up to a handful of starts, but it is hard for a pitcher to build up playoff games because they can only pitch a few playoff games per year. By your logic, Babe Ruth is one of the best pitchers in the history of baseball, far superior to Sandy Koufax, for example. There is a reason that small samples are not statistically significant, a lesson that Kelvin Cato should have taught every Rockets fan. It doesn't matter why the sample size is small, it only matters that the sample is too small to judge.

Pat Beverly is significantly better than Ryan Bowen. He is about as good as, or perhaps even better than Rafer Alston, and Rafer was the fourth best player on those playoff teams. Do you even watch basketball? Where are you getting these comparisons?

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Let's get one thing straight. Dwight ruined Dwight. Him not wanting to play to his strengths is his fault.

19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You just need to read his recent posts on this subject to know he doesn't understand the game completely.

But you've got to give him some credit.

To his benefit at least he responds with things relating to the topic at hand (even if he continually is parried away with his incorrect points)

More than Tinman ever does.

20. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Well, now that he finally got his wish and McHale has been fired, he needs someone to blame every single problem on. And when Les fires Morey or Morey quits, he'll find someone else whose fault it is for everything.

Give credit where it's due and cast blame on those who deserve it (and I think there's plenty of blame to go around in this org), but the constant barrage of irrational hate against whoever FTW decided deserves it just makes him look like a fool.