1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] - JBB informs the Rockets he is withdrawing as a candidate for Head Coach.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stack24, May 4, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

JB probably knew he was likely gone right? So he showcased his system I guess

2. Normalus

Normalus Member

Best thing happened all year.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I said that more in jest. But I do find myself thinking he believed in the system and wanted to take the opportunity to give it a try, and looked like he stubbornly refused to give up on it and/or wasn't able to get them to run alternate systems. imo, the intended defensive system looks similar to what the Spurs play -- a pseudo, 3-2 zone featuring heavy amounts of switches that allows aggressive help defense.

And still don't get how poor our transition D was, how we were so often out-numbered. That's all on him, imo.

4. Harden's beard

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Shouldn't transition defense fall on the players? I mean, it's almost all effort. Unless JB was directing them to go for offensive boards or steals

6. basketballholic

Accountability starts with the coach.

Floor balance is lacking in current system.

7. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Add to that , the no system offense always had our shooters in corners and harden top of the key...therefore any TO or missed shot usually ended up in fast breaks because harden was the only one back.

Look at the difference Donovan has made with OKC, iam not saying the team isnt talented but to be pushed over great teams you need to have the coaching in the same par as the talent, and i think hes done an incredible job.

8. hakeemthagreat

Nor sir, this was Morey's system from day one

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Well defense is a team thing and you have to have everyone on the same page (See The quote from the FREAK below). I don't know of any coach that could have gotten this team to play defense this year.

There was too much finger pointing and not enough of it's my fault and it want happen again.

T_Man

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Are you saying that JBB chose a different defensive system than the year before, choosing to stray from what he was successful at? I didn't realize that. Was that mentioned anywhere?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: J.B. Bickerstaff made a strong impression in Wednesday interview with Orlando, but Magic moving toward offer to Frank Vogel.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/733363053161500672">May 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lol... this is why "strong impression" tweets and comments are kind of pointless.

You never EVER hear "such and such made a bad impression". I guess you do hear nothing a lot of times, so the implication is that there wasn't a great impression made... but on the whole it's like JVG or the TNT guys. They never blame a coach, or talk bad about a coach.

JB is interviewing for assistant jobs, effectively.