1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] - JBB informs the Rockets he is withdrawing as a candidate for Head Coach.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stack24, May 4, 2016.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Great post! The extremes are what keeps the forum spicey, but illogical. Good for JB

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Has there been a coach with a successful career after leaving Houston's HC post?

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I can't think of any. Our assistants have been pretty good after leaving or being omitted by us after the head coach was let go or left.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Tex Winter and Del Harris both had very successful careers after leaving the Rockets.

5. J Hard

J Hard Member

Good for you JB, this unprofessionally run organization doesn't deserve a loyal respectable man as yourself in this organization.

How egregious to leave this man in the cold like this. morey couldve told the man he would not be returning as it's painfully obvious.

That lil sissy Joerger and morey are made for one another.

Go ahead and join a competent and stable organization JB, your professionalism will be missed.

6. J Hard

J Hard Member

Looking at the first page, shows why this city dont deserve a winner, classless fans. A direct reflection of darryl morey.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Walton didn't exactly make the best decision by choosing to go to the Lakers. I think he chose it because he gets a pay raise but less pressure to perform right away. He should have listened to his dad. JB is another mistake. If you want to rewrite history now that the season is over (Because of course now we have no examples of his ineptness as a head coach on a daily basis.) go right ahead but, make no mistake JB was terrible and the criticism is well deserved.

8. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Ran into JB yesterday in San Antonio with his Family at the Hyatt Regency Hill Country. Really nice guy and said a weight was lifted off of his shoulder that he has parted the Rockets organization.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't he did a great job here, at all, but i like JB and i think this was just a bad situation to coach...i wish him the best.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

*i don't think

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Interesting, did he go on?

DD

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

of course he had to say that in front of his family there but we all know he misses dearly corey brewer's head on his shoulder

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Lots of opinion and very little fact in this post. Par for the course for the JBB haters.

14. PeppermintCandy

He seemed like a highly qualified coach who made the most out of a pretty difficult situation. It's tough losing him as a lead assistant coach, but unless he got the permanent HC job, there was no way he was staying in Houston. Good luck to him.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Walton wasn't the most sought after guy on the market (Thibs was), and I doubt he would have been more sought after than the Indy and Memphis coaches that were just fired. Definitely not more than Vogel. I also wouldn't guage his stock , as far as coaching ability, by a rookie coach wanting to bring him on at a franchise that his father worked for.

16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Had no clue what his next 6 months would be like back in October of last year. Like us all.
    But we are still here as fans.
    And he is Bon Voyage.

His stewardship was a disappointment considering how he was credited with our defensive positives last year despite it being the 1st year of TR Dunn. Despite it being after Harden had super coach summer camp.

Can't apologize to him for being blindsided with an opportunity most NBA assistant coaches dream for.

But he'll be ok. He still deserves a fair shake, but the pool he returns to is big.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Harden should withdraw from MVP consideration and Dwight from defensive player of the year

18. houtown

houtown Member

I kind of agree, I was thinking this before, sort of got to question Walton's judgement for not only choosing the Lakers, but maybe also for hiring Bickerstaff.

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Neither are anywhere close to consideration this year.

Plus the reputation that Harden has earned this year with the media may ensure he never wins it, even if he starts playing two ways and is placed in an offensive system he trusts.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree that his stock hasn't fallen. But not sure of your point. His stock hasn't fallen from what? From his Assistant stock price, or his HC price? Not sure what the later was.

I think it's clear in NBA history that you can find a very good Assistant and a very bad HC, all in one person. Not saying JBB is very good or very bad at ether, but him getting a new job quickly as an assistant doesn't mean much, because I'm sure he is valued as a defensive assistant and will have a long career doing at least that, and HC again.

imso, JBB's problem this year is choosing a system that doesn't match the players. In this case, the defensive system. There was clear lack of communicatiion and knowing where to be. It got to the point this year where I'm saying to myself, this is a theoretically state-of-the-art defense, but it's foolish to play it with the Rockets, JBB must be showcasing it for another job. It went beyond Harden and Howard not caring on defense for stretches. You could see the lack of knowing your role and where to be in every player (sans Ariza). Literally, everyone but Ariza.

So, my review of JBB's performance would include "naivete and/or immaturity as HC to think you can transfer great X and Os (defense in this case) onto the floor without matching them to the players."