1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] - JBB informs the Rockets he is withdrawing as a candidate for Head Coach.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stack24, May 4, 2016.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

eh, who knows... maybe JBB did keep a handle on stuff... maybe his 'behind the scenes' stuff was impressive - cause his strength sure as hell wasn't his game management....

2. Raven

Raven Member

He didn't want to be used as a quota interview. Good for him.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Excellent news.

Jb sucks as a coach. Maybe he's a good guy, but he's a bad coach.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Think maybe he's looking to reunite with McHale somewhere?

5. Rocketeer4Life

Jb knew he wouldn't be picked hence he rejected the rockets before the rockets reject him. Smart move =)

6. Rocketeer4Life

Can he take his lover Corey with him?

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No they were honest, they interviewed him when they had little intention of keeping him.

Fact is, when an interim person does their job well, they don't bring in a long line of coaches to interview for your job from the outside.

JBB has enough self respect to walk away and not go through a process he has no chance at. They didn't want him, but they didn't want to fire him outright but rather just pick a new coach. By keeping him in consideration, they wouldn't look like dicks.

8. Borneoman

Borneoman Member

What a pitty, he is a talented young coach. Someday the Rockets will regret this decision.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I respect him for backing out. He should go back as an assistant coach with another team.

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

and here I was hoping for another season of spectacular coaching from JBB

11. MONON

MONON Member

You'll probably get that, just not with the Rockets! :grin:

12. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

I wish him the best.

13. Rhay1

Rhay1 Member

14. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Good move for him. Rather than waiting on a HC position that he was very unlikely to get, decided to focus on getting a top assistant position with one of the new staffs. May have done so with Walton.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

He'd make a great assistant at a high school team. He can tell his tall tales from the NBA to the impressionable kids.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wish JBB well. He was unexpectedly handed the "interim" head coaching gig, shocking the hell out of him, I'm sure, and dealt with it as best he could. The pressure must have been crazy. I just hope that he didn't read ClutchFans. ;-)-

All for hiring Sam I Am for a top assistant's position, if he's available. We have a vacancy. Gotta have a new Head Coach first, however, who will have his or her (Becky Hammon, anyone? Maybe steal her as an assistant? She's making around $200K) own ideas about assistants.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

JBB getting a lead assistant position would confirm that his stock hasn't fallen any after this season, contrary to what most of the idiotic posts in this forum would have you believe. If the most sought after coach on the market, the guy who just got done working under and learning from the best coach of all-time in Kerr (ridiculous notion I know, but not according to this forum apparently), wants JBB on HIS staff, that should make you rethink your inclination to constantly trash the guy's abilities. If it doesn't ... well, I wouldn't be surprised.

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Hammon is only leaving Spurs for Head Coach gig. Spurs are still best assistant spot for her. I would be up for giving her a try if none of the retreads sign here. It would never happen though. Maybe you could sell Less on it breaking down a wall and getting more female fans, but I doubt it. Lieberman is a more experienced coach if you wanted to go that route too.