1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: HOU trading Ariza + 16th to Detroit for Space + 2021 second rounder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Nov 18, 2020.

1. DustinS

DustinS Contributing Member

I feel like this is some undercover insider feedback. Don’t you have a friendship with Daryl Morey?

kjayp and D-rock like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

We aint winning **** by losing covington for KMart Jr.

Fertitty didnt trade Harden and WB cuz that would lose alk fan interest by rebuilding. If possible he still wants to make the playoffs cuz thats at least 4 games worth of $$$.

ashleyem and D-rock like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

this includes two people who prefer to be elsewhere. let that sink in

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone and Tilman are just improving roster left and right, no wonder Harden and Russ want to stay now.

:rolleyes:

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

roslolian and D-rock like this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I now live in Portland and people here are pretty excited about Covington. Then i start thinking what we got in return and it basically amounts to a future late 1st rounder plus lux tax savings. and sure it frees us up to add an impact player through the MLE, but what about the talent that just left?

I'm struggling. I need me some clutch perspective. Clutch ..what say you to this madness?

BHannes2BHonest, roslolian and D-rock like this.
  7. jacoby

jacoby Member

I think this move was a simultaneous move towards a rebuild and a salary-freeing move. Apparently this allows the Rockets to scan the market for some decent free agents.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Even Clutch is clueless right now, but optimistic.

9. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

We cant fully evaluate the trade until/if we use full MLE and we trade WB with these assets.

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Every year I think to myself, this is rock bottom for a Rockets off-season. And every year Tilman finds a way to up his LTS game. I can't even imagine what will happen next year

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I only asked Morey once about Fertitta and he said they got along fine.

So though we do have a friendship, this isn’t inside anything. It’s sort of the opposite in that I hadn’t felt comfortable sharing my own feelings about Fertitta before, out of a paranoid fear that someone might get the idea that it came from Morey somehow. Now I feel like I don’t have to worry about that.

Before he bought the team I already had good personal and family reasons for hating him. He hired a close family member and her firm to do a ton of work for him, then after it was done, he got what he’d hired her to do but skipped the bill and left her holding the bag. And he’s known for doing such things. It’s scummy and it’s no big surprise that he’s a Trump fan. They operate in exactly the same way, in this area at least.

#491 Batman Jones, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  12. Spooner

Spooner Member

To me the difference is that Horford has like 3 years left on his deal. He traded a WORSE pick than we did AND got a starter in Danny Green back.

Ariza was on an expiring deal which teams actually like. We could have gotten some kind of value for him at the trade deadline. Instead we trade MORE than Morey did for nothing in return.

There is no way it should have cost more to move Ariza on an expiring than it did to move Horford.

So why the desperation to move a pick just outside the lottery to ultimately get rid of an asset at the trade deadline?
    I think we all know the answer and it is completely unacceptable imo.

Nook, Kim, BHannes2BHonest and 3 others like this.
  13. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

This is facts. As rocket fans I've felt like our optimism year after year despite heartbreak was at least warranted. Now, with this situation and this owner, almost impossible to be a fan.

14. Spooner

Spooner Member

I really hope we actually use the MLE and get someone like Christian Wood. If we did that and somehow the Detroit pick actually conveys and we got Wood + 2 firsts for Covington I'd consider that a win I guess. Its just hard to be optimistic.

What bothers me the most is that I still don't understand why we couldn't have moved Gordon to a contender for even a second round pick. Is his value really that bad? Imagine moving Gordon instead and having the full MLE, the 16th pick plus an expiring Ariza contract at the deadline. And if his value really is that bad is it going to take a first to move Eric Gordon as well? In that case Ariza would have at least a little more value as an expiring. Why not ship Gordon out with the 16th pick instead of Ariza. We would at least be getting out of a long term contract. Is it because we are competing? If so then why did we just trade Covington??? Could Tillman really have done all of this just to avoid paying Covington/Ariza's contract?

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but this is maddening.

BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I’d always thought it would be impossible for me not to be a Rockets fan. My posts the last couple of days probably sound angry but it’s only because I’m actually really sad about it.

16. bmelo

bmelo Member

Not what i am sayin though. He wont improve thats for sure its just preparation in moving someone big from rockets. Flexibility

D-rock likes this.
  17. Cladyclad

Cladyclad Member

Capela was a money dump hidden as a strategic move

Kim and D-rock like this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

The perspective is you lose 15M worth of salaries to add 5M worth of salaries. It is all for LTS

Kim and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

All excellent questions.

Stone's response: Fake news, Tilman is willing to pay and go over LT "for the right player".

Hilarious! We all know that "right player" is code for Fvk U Rockets fans.

slothy420, Kim and roslolian like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

He might become available soon, Hawks chose a center early in the draft. An injured one to boot.