1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ - Harden wanted Wall over WB

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Dec 3, 2020.

1. riko

riko Member

How do you know they are not in communication? Kendrick Perkins ( close friends with both) said they are still brothers and close. So did SAS who said Westbrook privately told him he and Harden are still brothers. So I’m not sure where you are getting this from.?

topfive likes this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

It is not that I doubt Nook.
    It is that this is the first time I hear of this while I have heard the opposite from Simmons (that WB asked out after he found out about Harden).

At the end of the day I didn't like WB and I won't miss him ..but Wall..damn this is an achilles we are talking about here, the worst contract in the league.

saleem likes this.
  3. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I agree with this. John Wall injured is a zero for the team. But Russell Westbrook playing at less than 100% is actually negative. I'd rather have a zero, and let Harden carry the team himself, than someone who actively hurts the team's chances to win when he is on the court.

4. riko

riko Member

Westbrick was a negative out there. Against the lakers he was putrid. Don’t give me COVID excuses. You can’t blame being a dumb basketball player on covid. The lengths people will go to bash harden

5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yeah, COVID wasn't making Westbrook throw the ball out of bounds. I don't know what was going on with him, but he wasn't even able to make basic basketball plays correctly.

Reeko and riko like this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Westbrook wanted out. Call James Harden a bad teammate if that's how you feel but framing this as Harden preferring Wall is a treacherous manipulation of the events unfolding.

Rocket River and Patience like this.
  7. riko

riko Member

This Jw86 guy has a long history of harden bashing

#87 riko, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  8. riko

riko Member

That is who he is and always has been.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

if we still had Covington, I’d actually be feeling ok about this season

getting rid of Russ is addition by subtraction

last season

Harden on: +5.8 net rating

Russ on: +3.1 net rating

Harden off: -2.5 net rating

Russ off: +4.4 net rating

the only reason Russ had a positive net rating on the season is because he played a lot with Harden...when it was just Russ alone, the team sucked

in the playoffs

Harden on: +3.4 net rating

Russ on: -6.1 net rating

Harden off: -6.9 net rating

Russ off: +6.9 net rating

even coming off an Achilles, all Wall would have to do is make good decisions and he’s already less harmful than Westbrook just based off that alone

10. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Moving Covington was definitely worth Wood. Wood has potential to have a significantly bigger impact.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

that remains to be seen because RoCo was proven. Woods still has a lot to prove. But at this point it's definitely interesting to see how this all plays out.

MaxRider likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m saying if we had Covington in addition to Wood...I don’t know if there was even a 5% chance of that being a possibility, but if it was, I’d really like the current team

YOLO likes this.
  13. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I'm glad I'm not the GM. I definitely can't pull the trigger to trade CP3 for Westbrook, Capela for Covington, Covington for Wood. At this point we will have to wait to see how this play out. New GM, new head coach, half of the team are new.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Actually, we don't know how this developed. It could have gone down a number of ways.

1) Harden didn't want Westbrook here anymore and wanted Wall instead and that's why Russ wanted out.
    2) Harden wanted Russ to stay, but Russ wanted out, so Wall was Harden's next best choice.
    3) Harden said he wanted out, so Russ followed suit. Only when Harden realized he might have to stay a while did he advocate Wall.
    4) Wall contacted Harden after talking to Boogie and the three of them decided they wanted to play together and push Russ out.

And more scenarios than these are possible even. Point is, we don't know.

malakas likes this.
  15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Is it clear though? The CP3 trade was great. The Russ one not so much. Harden seems to be 1 for 2 in trades.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why choose to embarrass yourself on such a fine Thursday morning?

Westbrook wants out because he didn’t like not being able to play like he did in OKC chasing stats. This dude wasn’t even gonna report to training camp, and for what? Because he’s mad about the way he was used even tho he had 34% usage and took as many shots as Harden even tho Harden is like at least 2 tiers above him as a player. Ha, that is the height of selfishness. That is who u run to put a cape on for and protect? Just stop...

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't believe everything you hear. This could be as simple as the team asking Harden what he thought about Russ wanting out, and Harden telling them to trade him if they get a good deal. He new his BFF wanted out, what's he going to do, tell the team NOT to trade him? That makes no sense.

Even if they said: "James, we're looking at Russ for John Wall. What do you think?" With training camp already started and Russ not here, what's he going to say, "Nah, keep trying"?

18. MystikArkitect

I dont know how anyone could watch the dumpster fire that Westbrook was in the playoffs and call this a bad trade. Dude was a net negative.

Perki-Perk likes this.
  19. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

I mean stylistically he's just a more impactful fit with James. EG put it pretty well calling him a floor-spacing Capela...that sounds like the perfect big for Harden.

20. jogo

jogo Member

I think WB had to be traded because he wanted out. So the return is not great but I think Stone's hands were tied. I think WB worked ok when healthy but then he got hurt and was really bad in the playoffs. But again, if he wanted out this badly then he had to be traded (and doing it sooner rather than later is probably best, even if the value is poor).

I really don't trust any speculation from the media about the Rockets or Harden. ESPN, etc. dislike our team and Harden and seem to paint everything with the most negative slant possible. Narrative, agenda, etc.

Harden does make players better. If Wall is healthy, then Harden will make him better, too.

Rocket River, Patience and saleem like this.