1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ - Harden wanted Wall over WB

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Dec 3, 2020.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I think most people saw a few signs here during the season. I did. Everyone thought the friendship would help with the egos. It did not. We could see it in their body language multiple times.
    I think this trade surprises alot of people. I've watched John Wall very closely and the one thing that stood out from him and say Westbrook and Rose was his court vision. I believe sports science did a segment on it.
    This past season the entire team had to adjust to Westbrook's inability to shoot. I believe this trade will reverse that.
    I think the trade helped both teams but what really helps us are the possibilities with the draft pick. People forget Westbrook was also on restrictions here.

clutchdabear likes this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Remove him from this team. Do we make the playoffs if everything else plays out?? I say yes. The team plays better without a me, me, me type hogging the ball. Because they play as a team.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

they probably could’ve held out, but Wall had to come with at least 1 pick attached...his value is even lower that Westbrook’s

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

James would already have a ring if he didn't play at the same time as a historically great Warriors team. I wouldn't put much stock in Boston's assessment anyway - they are notoriously risk adverse and tend to overvalue picks and young players and while they retained some solid young players in Brown and Tatum, I would argue their franchise isn't significantly better off after having cap space, draft picks, and Rozier, Smart, Tatum, and Brown all on rookie contracts a few years back. Frankly they just punted on making big moves, hoped Lebron would leave the East and the Warriors would fall and all that netted them the same results as a perennial Eastern Conference also ran. Sorry - until one of Tatum/Brown make the leap - their franchise isn't the shining example of getting it right.

clutchdabear likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Because PG got traded..... and then because of Harden..... We asked him and he accepted....

T for 3 likes this.
  6. icewill36

icewill36 Member

what does that have to do with wall? I'll take your avoiding answering as you agree he is nowhere near enough for a championship. so what are we doing? why is everyone excited to waste another year of hardens prime. this is a fukking train wreck. two 30 yr olds coming off Achilles is supposed to make us contenders? its laughable. the only way to salvage this is trade James.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's true, but I don't want to take on Simmons after the subluxation of his patella.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

he recruited Christian Wood...Wood is a signing you should do with or without Harden’s input

Wood is great next to Harden, and in the case that Harden gets dealt, Wood is at worst an excellent asset since he’s a rare type of big

as for Cousins, he was brought in here on a vet min...he can get cut at any time

Russ wanted out, and u weren’t gonna do much better than Russ for Wall coming off a torn Achilles with Westbrook’s current value

Idk if Detroit would’ve done Blake Griffin for Wall, and then we heard about talks with Kevin Love although the Cavs didn’t want to attach any real assets...these are the types of deals you’re looking at for Westbrook

I mean, Harden could just pull a Russ and not even report to training camp, or just show up, give no fcks, and barely try until he finally gets dealt. Would u prefer that instead?

9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

really? so he was going to beat lebron?

the reality is this team had ONE chance. one season where the stars aligned and couldn't get it done. there were no other seasons we had a roster with enough to win. not a single one.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

He wanted out of OKC, doesn’t matter why to me. OKC asked him where he’d like to go, and he told them his preference was to go to Houston and play with Harden. He asked to come here, let’s not rewrite history.

tinman likes this.
  11. riko

riko Member

Tim McMahon just said RUSS wanted out and if the Rockets didn’t trade him things would have got real ugly. So Yeah this thread is bogus

clutchdabear, Nook and Deuce like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

You are the one who quoted me talking about championships. Nowhere in any of my posts did I even allude that we were title bound because of John Wall. Stop wasting my time

Westbrook demanded out, and his value was so low that the only type of offers we were looking at were the likes of John Wall and a pick

YOLO likes this.
  13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Why can't Wall just play like he normally does and ditto for Harden?

Harden's usage was 35.6 which was 2nd highest in the league. WBs usage was just slightly lower at 33.0 which was the 6th highest in the league.

Wall's career high for usage is 30.6. It's not like there aren't enough possessions for them both.

Why can't Wall spot up too? He's not a bad catch and shoot guy. Here's his catch and shoot 3 pointer percentages from his last 6 seasons:

2019 - 37.3%
    2018 - 43.8%
    2017- 35.9%
    2016- 38.4%
    2015- 31.5%
    2014- 44.0%

You are correct that Wall can shoot midrange but unfortunately he doesn't make many of them. He's a really bad midrange shooter. Here's his midrange percentages from the last 5 years:

'19 - 38.6%
    '18 - 28.2%
    '17 - 38.7%
    '16- 36.2%
    '15- 40.2%

Hopefully he shoots very few midrange shots for us.

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Read between the lines people!... Harden prefers to party with Wall instead of WB... WB is a family man.... Didn't have time for the shenanigans...

Shroopy2 likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

that they can’t play together is Westbrook’s fault, not Harden’s

Westbrook got 34% usage and 22.5 shots a game playing next to Harden...we got rid of Capela to better space the floor for Russ...Harden took a backseat to Westbrook for 3 months

shot attempts per game in January

Russ: 25.3
    Harden: 21.6

shot attempts in February

Russ: 25.5
    Harden: 20.5

shot attempts in March

Russ: 20.5
    Harden: 19.8

That still wasn’t enough for selfish ass Russ. Ask him why they couldn’t play together.

16. T for 3

T for 3 Member

And harden asked for him to come here. And tilman wanted him here. Multiple things can be true at once.

17. icewill36

icewill36 Member

stop being so sensitive reeka.

you claimed "all we need" from wall was 15 and 9..... need for what exactly ?

the only smart thing to do now is blow this chit up

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Harden is a star w**** who cant get along with stars.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

except he told me in his post “Westbrook didn’t ask to come here”

no, he clearly did

T for 3 likes this.
  20. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

The numbers don’t support your viewpoint in any way. It’s cool to not like someone but we can’t ignore reality.