1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I miss Chris Broussard's multiple sauces.

"Multiple sauces--A1, Worcestershire, Heinz--tell me Duh-wight Howard is reconsidering his decision to sign with the Rockets and going back to the Lakers. Hey, believe me........I'm a Christian."

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need to draft a point guard….either Amen or Ausar Thompson

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Amen is the PG.

Ausar doesn't have the same vision - his assist numbers come from unselfish play. Clearly he is a smart baller, but a wing (currently).

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Whether, or not Harden signs here, there are clear signs that the Rockets are not going to max him out on the contract offer and years. That's a good development.
    If Harden takes three years, I would be open to it if Udoka signed off.

5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Honestly, he cannot go anywhere else. Philly wants him to sign the extension, they cannot sign him the max 4 years and Philly in the playoffs cannot be the Bucks or Celtics in the playoffs. Phoenix is a gimmick, they do not have the money and a trade with Philly would not make sense, because Harden would have to accept the 35 million….he is all about that money. I would do a 3 years deal with him, but the 3rd year is not guaranteed

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Uh oh, he’s gonna call Glenn a “clown”. :D

“James is so good at playing one way, and the way I believe you have to play to win, in some ways, is different. It's a lot of giving up the ball, moving the ball, coming back to the ball. I would have loved to have him younger, when that was easier for him because giving up the ball and getting back the ball is hard. It's physical, it's exhausting. So, it would have been interesting if I would have had him younger where he could have done that more. Coming off of dribble handoffs, going down the hill.”

“In the playoffs, when teams are game-planning against you each game, double-teaming, taking the ball out of your hand, making it harder, it's easier to do that to James compared to ... How do you take Steph [Curry] out of the game?”

Newsflash Glenn, he didn’t do that when he was younger either.

"James can see all the passes and do everything, but James is not a leader," McHale said. "He tried being a leader last year, tried doing all that stuff. I think Chris Paul is going to help him just kind of get back into just being able to hoop and play and stuff like that.

"On every team, you have to have a voice. On every team, you have to have somebody that when they say something, people listen. Like if James tells you, 'You've got to play better D,' are you going to listen to him? I lived through it. Believe me, everybody in the locker room did this [put their head down with their hand on their forehead].' Every time he mentioned defense, everybody would put their head down."

"Chris Paul is going to push him, too," McHale said. "When he does that stab in the backcourt, doesn't get a foul, looking at the referee, not running back, Chris Paul is going to jump his butt. That's going to make him a better player.

"I just think Chris Paul will be good for James Harden. It will allow him to just be what he is, which is a phenomenal basketball player, not trying to lead a team. That's just not his personality."

_______

"Calling me names is not going to change my opinion as to what I saw when I was there," McHale said Friday. "It's hard to have a lot of credibility if you don't play good defense."

When I was talking more about leadership is ... it's a tie game at half. It's a playoff game, or you're playing another team that's tough and rumble, and they're going to get after you. And all of a sudden, with four minutes to go in the third, you're down nine. They're getting every loose ball, they're getting every rebound, they're doing this stuff. It's not about skill at that point. It's about will. I gotta impose my will on you.

"James at that point gets a little bit -- that's not his personality. Chris Paul, in turn, will get in your face, go nose-to-nose with you, say, 'Hey, let's go,' and I think that's what you need. Draymond Green does a great job, whenever you need a spark. He's out there going jawing with somebody."

"Chris Paul will have that leadership at those times where [Harden] gets a little bit introverted, a little bit quiet," McHale said Friday. "You saw the game with the Spurs; he gets to the point where he's just passive. And Chris Paul's not like that."

"He's a clown, honestly," Harden said after the Rockets' open practice last Saturday, in response to McHale's initial comments. "I did anything and everything he asked me to do. I've tried to lead this team every day since I stepped foot here in Houston. To go on air and just downplay my name, when honestly he's never taught me anything to be a leader ...

"But I've done a great job. The organization, my coaches, you can ask any of those guys how I've worked extremely hard every single day to better [myself], obviously as a basketball player, but be a leader as well. To go on air and downplay my name like that, it just shows his character. I usually don't go back and forth on social media with anybody or with interviews, but I'm going to stand up for myself, and there it is. But you just don't go and do that. It shows what type of person he is."

Harden believes that bitterness about the firing played a significant role in McHale criticizing him.

"Sure. And I had nothing to do with it," Harden said. "I'm just here to do my job, compete at the highest level I can. But when you're here, you're face-to-face, and you're telling me one thing -- how great of a player you are, how you're lucky that he's able to be a part of this process -- and then you go back just a few years later and basically just say the opposite, it just shows your character, shows who you really are.

"I'm not that type of person. I don't operate that way. I don't say things to somebody behind their back or tell them one thing or go on air and say another thing."

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Listened to the podcast. Nothing too scathing and he had plenty of complimentary things to say, but I knew what the headline takeaway would be on clutchfans.

SamFisher likes this.
  11. xaos

xaos Member

Hmm, same things I've said and the main reasons I don't want him. Doesn't matter how many points per possessions he gets.

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I only vaguely remember this stuff, but what McHale said was both accurate and also not an insult. Harden took it as an insult. But that’s only because VERY FEW players in any league are humble enough to take and consider criticism. He is a bad leader - or at the very least not a good leader. Harden thinks “working hard at it” negates the results — or lack thereof. It doesn’t. Fact is McHale was right and Harden is apparently oblivious to his lack of leadership skills. Instead of reflecting and responding, he name called and dug in deeper. McHale was 100% on CP3 taking over leadership role. And once again, Harden couldn’t take that and drove him away.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The rockets have made this their guiding philosophy for the last 3 seasons...with sexy results!

Tuckmose likes this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Instead of 'reflecting and responding" - the operative part of the history of Kevin McHale and James Harden is that McHale got fired and Harden then put up 3 straight MVP quality seasons under a less of an annoying dumbass coach, including the greatest offensive season on modern history; I'd call that a response and one of the few instances where having the right coach can be associated with an incrementally different outcome.

HD729, topfive and BMoney like this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

But even in those mvp seasons he wasn’t known as a leader. Not the type of leader every team needs. The type of leader McHale described.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Mchale was spitting facts

17. thekad

thekad Member

Glad we finally moved away from Harden-ball to great results these past three years. I wonder how many teams are trying to poach HoF genius coach Kevin McHale right now.

BHannes2BHonest and SamFisher like this.
  18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

But, when it comes to James, one thing I’ve learned being around him for so long is there are things outside of a 48-minute game that motivate him. His family. He’s very big on family. He’s big on giving back to the community and quality of life. There are other things surrounding a potential return to Houston that have nothing to do with Jalen Green, Jabari Smith Jr., or Alperen Sengun that people need to realize. This is what makes this decision so difficult for him

The only reason he is signing with Houston is the MONEY AND HIS FAMILY and not the team? If he wants our money and love the proximity then he needs to mentor and help our upcoming stars….he does not care about our team

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I love the extra fluff in here but nothing about results. Nothing about dribbling out more than any other player in history, nothing about what our true goals are. You don’t seem like an idiot, why do you act like one?

outside of the year with CP (who he also ran away becasue his fee fees got hurt) he’s choked every year.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.