1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean were Sixers fans complaining that Maxey wasn't getting touches and opportunities? Isn't it in fact the opposite where Sixer fans loved how he helped Maxey's development.

He's too old to maintain the time of possession and heliocentric playstyle he did in his prime. He probably will want to defer a lot. The one problem with Harden on offense though is he is his stationaryness off ball. He's obviously a more than capable catch and shoot guy but he ain't going to move around off ball to get a look from a Sengun or Green dime.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If the goal is not to have Harden being the alpha in the playoffs, then why do we want to sign him to a long term max contract? I don't think even the biggest Harden fans would believe that Harden could take these clueless kids to the finals in the next two years. Are they expecting him to be the alpha when he is 37? And who are we going to have when the young guys' rookies contracts are expiring?

fchowd0311 and Htown's Finest like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Hence why we shouldn't sign him to the max and use him similar to how the Suns used CP3. As a secondary option veteran floor general. That's what he should be paid as and the expectation shouldn't be Harden carrying this team in playoff runs. The expectation shouldn't be deep playoff runs in the next two seasons.

Easy likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Sixers fan had a lot of complaints about the overall Harden experience. If Maxey is your best example of "mentorship" then I am not impressed.

He hasn't yet..... so you just want to ASSume that will happen all of a sudden?

Harden's lack of movement off the ball is a major issue..... does Ime even want a Harden based offense?

5. dmoneybangbang

Well there you go............ Harden is still a superstar. :confused:

Mathloom likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Smart people see the Harden pattern...... Harden only fans see the failures of everyone else around Harden.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm good without this discussion dude. You're right, it is not possible for me to convince you.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. Htown's Finest

I'll play LOL...

People who actually care about the Rockets and our younger talent care about getting them playoffs experience as early and often as possible. That's who the F cares. Harden does that. FVV does not do that. Austin Reeves does not do that. Whatever pu pu platter of veterans y'all keep implying does not do that.

Developing our players is key to long-term success. Which western conference play in/playoff team do you see us realistically surpassing next year as a 22 win team?

Harden WAS a superstar that is at least willing to consider joining the Rockets. Who else have you heard is willing to join a team that just got done tanking? That may change if we get Wemby or Scoot, but until then who else have you heard?
    Maxey on the Sixers and both Green and KPJ on our own team. Guess you also missed how the two among other Rockets young players trained with Harden at various points?

Bro the 76ers just fired Doc Rivers (he deserved to get fired I agree) and there is a rumor that Philadelphia is going to interview Mike D'Antoni for the new head coaching gig. Who loves Mike D'Antoni? Harden does, so there is a chance that Harden is only using us as leverage to get the coach and the salary that he wants. Did you even consider that thought? No seriously did you?

OK, so list which ones we are capable of getting and then ask yourself how many are better than Harden? We have Jokic, Curry, and CP3 from that list of 29. Which ones can we realistically acquire?

CP3 could be on the move. As well as Trae Young, Fultz, Caruso, Conley, Cole Anthony, Coby White, Jalen Suggs, Damian Lillard. Yes some of these guys would require an asset or two to acquire but these are some options other than Harden.

#2588 Htown's Finest, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
    Maxgx, AXG and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight Howard is an "emotional Harden naysayer"

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

THANK GOD we hired someone before Rivers became available. He would have swept Tilman off his feet with his motivational speeches. The basketball Gods are helping us a lot recently.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually, I think the Suns are regretting signing CP3 to that contract. He is just a glorified role player now even when he is healthy. If they could dump him now, they would do it in a heart beat. I don't know why some people would want this kind of problem for the Rockets two years down the road. Oh right... because Harden is the best PG available (now).

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Casue the Suns are in win now mode. If the suns were a bunch of 20 year old kids like the rockets, who have won less than 60 games total in the last 3 years, well nobody would give af. Two situations not relatable at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

The problem doesn't exist for the rockets because they don't have super max and max deals on their books and a fat ayton deal like the suns do. Nor are they a win now team. The duration of a harden contract will never coincide with that issue

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. NewAge

NewAge Member

TBF, the coach we got is also known for sweeping people off their feet. BOOM!

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Or have you thought that they know they have an inferior team and after losing so much they seek ways to lift their spirits and have fun? Nothing wrong with that. Losing takes a toll on players and their psyche. A joke here and there helps relieve this. You can find the best teams doing this. There may have been an expectation to play hard but there was no expectation to win the way this team was built. Why be emotional or upset when this is the organization’s goal? It is what it is. Besides when did you see them have a party? Or are you speaking in hyperbole. It seems like you and people like you want a dominion over the minds and bodies of these young men. It ain’t that serious. The players compete and professional for the most part and we watched them battle and still try to win. Let them be. The last 3 seasons were about growth, development, and to get high lottery picks. It is what it is.

#2594 Stephen_A, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
  15. Landry's Tooth

Not saying this is you but it's amazing that many who criticize Harden for his habits are quick to dismiss Jalen's basketball character. I get Jalen is younger but there is no guarantee he grows out of it.

Harden is at least the equivalent of a functioning alcoholic.

I think the issue is it's Harden or what?

There is no way they should pay middleton or porzingis. So then you're trading for 2 superstars. That's literally gutting all young players from the team which closes the window faster.

They sign a guy and trade for one keeping 2 or 3 young guys...

I doubt there will be much better kicking cap space. A year further...

16. Landry's Tooth

I would love to sign Jayson Tatum, Luka, or Bam Adebayo but they aren't free agents.

17. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Have you seen Greg Popovitch's reaction when the team is down 30 and laughing/carrying on? Larry Brown? The greatest coaches will allow a TINY amount of that but the nanosecond they think you are OK with losing they have a problem. It's easy to find yourself in a rut that lasts for a decade as has happened to so many teams.
    I'm glad we have a new group of coaches coming in to instill teamwork, comradery and at least some sense of discipline. I didn't see any of that with the Rockets last year. I saw guys who usually just don't care. 3 years of nearly stagnant player growth was the result. It's like Gordon said when asked early in the season if he thought players were improving the last few years - "NOPE".

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. dmoneybangbang

Harden isn’t CP3…. I’m not sure why folks look at CP3’s history with the league and with players and think that’s Harden.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hilarious. honestly I'd rather have Dwight back on the Rockets than Harden

Asian Sensation likes this.