1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Frank Vogel "very much in the mix" to be next Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 15, 2023.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Based on the comment above think we need to interview Udoke asap to put pressure on Toronto to release Nurse (if they really want Udoke).

2. cml750

cml750 Member

He is not my first choice but I would be okay with it. It would be a huge upgrade from the last few years. Heck they could hire a coach straight from a Houston area high school and it would be a step up from Silas.

don grahamleone and DaDakota like this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

As scary as the reality of deepfakes really, truly are... deepfake as a verb is lit.

4. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

So in a puff piece about how attractive the job is, they’re gonna end up with Frank Vogel [aren’t they?]. Frankie ****ing V.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...n-rockets-coaching-search-upside-17904521.php

“Frank Vogel, who led the Lakers to the 2019-20 championship and along the way a second-round win over Houston that sent the Rockets to their teardown and rebuild, was the first to interview and left a strong impression. Similar to when Mike D’Antoni became former Rockets owner Leslie Alexander’s preference and eventual choice, Vogel demonstrated confidence that he could guide the next stage of the rebuild and immediately upgrade a defense that has been among the league’s worst.”

#145 J.R., Apr 19, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

How are they talking about Vogel is the frontrunner when they haven’t even interviewed everyone yet?

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

When your moving on from a Silas and Vogel was your first interview, he is technically the front runner. :)

No Worries, clos4life, xaos and 3 others like this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Frank Vogel has been a good coach. A few good stints, one bad stint. Not sure what's the outrage. Quite frankly I'm more interested in roster construction this summer so just get us a coach already.

Verbal Christ and Rashmon like this.
  9. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Yes, let's half-ass the position that added years to our rebuild last time because we want to play with our roster, which is largely out of our hands until the lottery anyway.

That's the tilman mindset right there.

10. conquistador#11

Mike Brown's bag on offense was one of those sack lunch bags.
    Now he's out there showing he can do more than give bol to Lebron. He evolved.
    Gives me hope for Vogel. I just don't want more heliocentric offenses.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Vogel has taken a team of youngsters JUST LIKE THIS in Indy and turned them into a formidable playoff team. Give me that type of experience not one designed around top 5 players in the league.

Rashmon likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

logic-think.gif

clos4life, Losmi_34 and cml750 like this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Frank Vogel would not be a half assed hire. I know my post makes it seem like I'm just willing to hire any bum, but in essence I was defending people being all down about Vogel. Yeah, he isn't a star hire, and sure he has his flaws (such as not having a great offensive system).

Boring hire? Yeah. Adequate and decent coach? Yeah.

Even if he is just that intermediate coach between further development and a later hire to take us to the promised land, that's just fine.

#153 ElPigto, Apr 19, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    Rashmon and Easy like this.
  14. i3artow i3aller

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Vogel is just the safest most milquetoast pick which is why I can totally buy that he's the frontrunner right now. Vogel never played in the league and we know that's an important thing to players for being able to buy in on a coach. I wonder if he will really be able to hold the team accountable. I also don't know if I buy in on him as a player development guy. He did okay with the Pacers, but never made it to a Finals. We saw him in a developmental/rebuild situation with Orlando, and he didn't really impress.

His only major playoff success as a coach was with that ready-made contender Lakers team. I guess at least you can say he didn't stand in the way of them being able to win that title, so he's probably not a bad coach the way Silas was, but I don't know if I'm sold that he really helps us develop into a contender.

My overall reaction if they hire Vogel will be the world's longest mehhhhhhh. I don't think there's any way he's not an upgrade over what we just dealt with but I do think we could do a lot better.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Of course we get the pushover comedian from impractical jokers.

17. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Vogel feels like a Stone pick - he’s got the competence and “championship pedigree” which I’m sure would be touted constantly in the intro press conference, but he’s not a loud strong personality that would threaten Stone’s organizational preeminence. The front office might still be calling the shots with lineups etc.

Nurse, Udoka, Atkinson I think would all be more threatening and force more organizational realignment. That’s what I’m hoping for, but not sure our current GM wants that.

18. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

I don't know why they keep saying Vogel is the frontrunner...We don't have any reports on how Ime's, or the other candidates interviews went.

He's covered the most by the media, so either he has the best agent or the org is trying to put pressure on someone else. Atkinson's interview is still pending, maybe they want to accelerate the timeline on that.

Anyways, I would be fine with Vogel, but honestly Udoka and Atkinson are much better options. Nurse would be great aswell, but he's a longshot right now.

larry cook likes this.
  19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Your proof is asking a spoiled Lakers Fan? No thanks. It was never his fault in LA anyone could see that it was roster issues. Just ask me, the guy who actually watches other teams than the Rockets. Udoka/Nurse would be my first choice but Vogel woudld be a great pick.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

If the mouthpieces(Feigen/Iko/Dubose) are touting Vogel, it’ll probably be Vogel.

Just like they all wrote their Şengün pieces at the beginning of the season of “Why Şengün should come off the bench and it’ll be a good thing!” and poof, Şengün was coming off the bench.