1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Frank Vogel "very much in the mix" to be next Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 15, 2023.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

Vogel might work. We need to play hard ass defense, run on the fastbreak, and on set offense just dump ball to Sengun

2. bmelo

bmelo Member

I remember when Vogel outcoached DAntoni like a ****ing child in the bubble. Let's remember he is a champion.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't want vogel, would prefer ime or nurse, then atkinson and cassell before vogel

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. bmelo

bmelo Member

Nurse is good but let's remember if it wasn't for Kawhis MJ-like stretch Toronto are out of the playoffs in the second round.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Vogel badly outcoached MDA? Or the Rockets were going up against Bron and AD with a mini-me squad and a Russell Westbrook that didn’t have to be guarded?

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

after we destroyed them game 1, silver sent in scott foster for game 2, marc davis for game 3, got d house outta d house

vogel was just there for the ride

and their series against denver was the biggest fukin joke since 2002 kings -- jamal murray raped over and over by silver's zebras

slothy420 and Reeko like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That run, you couldnt breathe on AD

lionaire, Reeko and pippendagimp like this.
  8. ExTexanNowEastCoast

You can avoid the topic all you like. It is your prerogative. However, I personally do not see the point in tip toeing around the issue. It is the genesis of too much of the problems in this country. You yourself just bought into it. Every organization, whether it is professional sports, law, accounting, tech or whatever, cow tows to their "stars", which is really just another word for their top producers. In sports, because those top producers tend to be people of color, often times fans (and in America, that is generally White people), tend to want players to act a certain way and be deferential to management and coaches, who are generally also White. That is reality. You can stick your head in the sand if you like, but it won't change anything.

Levenson got into trouble because he mistakenly believed that his fan base and his players were mainly Black, his team was not profitable, and that because of the "atmosphere" at the stadium, it was scaring away potential White fans who were "more profitable". That is why he complained about the music and the "hip hop" atmosphere. It was a stupid statement and blatantly racist. The team had no fans because it sucked!! When the team improved under Budenholzer, the place sold out. Everyone was wearing Hawks jerseys and the like.

Now, regarding the Rockets, Brown by himself is not good enough to win, at least not yet. Not sure what sort of system Vogel will run; I always saw Brown as a better version of a healthy Oladipo. The real key is getting other stars.

All I know is, based on what I have seen from Vogel as a coach, his teams hit a ceiling and don't go further than that. To prove my point: that season the Pacers won 56 games, people may have forgotten, but the team started like 40 and 10, then went 500 the rest of the season, and almost lost the top seed to the Heat. Then they almost lost in the first round to a mediocre Hawks team, then played poorly against a mediocre Washington team, and then got beat down by the Heat in 6.

When the Lakers won in 2020, that team was 52-19, but the season was cut short due to COVID. Based on his track record, who knows what the teams record would have been if the season had continued. Lebron makes a lot of average coaches look good. There are guys who have one good season and then suck. Paul Westhead comes to mind. Alvin Gentry another.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

frankly, Glenn is no Doc, seriously overrated. He and Cs ‘Big 3’ were a one-off perfect meld. And since???
    Glenn ‘Doc’ Rivers. Referenced somewhere that I replied upon.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

that bridge ain’t gonna deliver the goods.

11. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

I guess the good thing about Silas' tenure is that literally anyone is an upgrade.

12. lionaire

lionaire Member

Yeah that was really some disgusting foul baiting from the lakers. i just remember players from that team constantly falling down and getting calls.

We probably could have won if we had one solid center on the team.

pippendagimp likes this.
  13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Frank into BBW?

[​IMG]

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You see AD doing that right now. Best flopper I've seen because he goes to extreme measures. He'll flop all the way to the stretcher making it believable

lionaire and pippendagimp like this.
  15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

1. What are we doing here?
    2. She likes orange juice!

RasaqBoi likes this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just realized Vogel looks like that guy from Big Bang Theory
    [​IMG]

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I guess it’s all a matter of interpretation. “Could have lost” doesnt matter in playoff basketball.

I think Brown could carry a team.

Laker season they were 33 games above .500 what do you mean “you don’t know how the season would have ended” what in the world could have happened in the last 11 games to mar that season? LeBron makes coaches look good? That’s fascinating. You know what else makes coaches look “good”? NOT HAVING RUSSELL WESTBROOK ON YOUR TEAM!

Vogel doesn’t only have 1 good season. That applies to some of the other candidates.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If you told me we could assemble a big three that wins a ring and promptly flames out I’d take it.

ExTexanNowEastCoast likes this.
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

How often has that ever happened with players not named LeBron, percentage-wise?

20. i3artow i3aller