1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Frank Vogel "very much in the mix" to be next Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 15, 2023.

1. MystikArkitect

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I thought the tank was over?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Oh well, if Vogel is the guy, that tells me that they don't want to spend any money and Stone wants someone who is too afraid to tell him to STFU.

Vogel will be gone in 2 years when the team is 30-52 for the second straight season and Jalen Green is asking out of here.

We will become the Kings from 2006 through 2022.

Little Bit and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

never a mention of Sengun

really seems like these idiots just focus on Green and Bari, but not on Sengun

5. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

We have the worst owner in sports ladies and gentlemen. What a freaking letdown this will be.

ExTexanNowEastCoast likes this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

It really feels like they decided they liked Vogel for the job even before they started the interview process, moreso than them being impressed by him. Why else would you leak all this stuff without giving the other top candidates a chance to also impress you?

Regardless of whether Vogel is actually the best candidate, that's just a bad look. That's not a diligent organization keeping an open mind and trying to make rational decisions, that's an organization building preconceived narratives and molding the process around them.

This organization truly feels rudderless ever since the change of ownership. The only thing they've done well so far is the draft. Hoping they'll prove me wrong and 180 on this, as well as generally having a good offseason, because yes, it's hard to judge an organization that's intentionally tanking. But I don't have a good impression at all right now.

7. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

sighs…
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    Penny-Pincher Tilly
    [​IMG]

8. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly.... if they are not going to get Nurse (under contract) or Udoka..... then the next best candidate is probably Mo Abdulfattah because he has an actual backbone and will tell players to get off the court when they try to hijack practice, tell Stone to stop following him around like a puppy and will ask Patrick why he thinks he is qualified to decide player rotations.

Frank Vogel wants to be a head coach badly - he will try to make it work but not set necessary boundaries.

It is too bad the organizational culture sucks and they look for easy fixes.

If it's Vogel, he will help defensively and he won't let KPJ go Westbrook at practice (at least until Stone tells Vogel how to do his job).... but it won't work long term....... it will be like Terry Stotts or any other flawed head coach that if you squint hard enough, you can convince yourself it will work, knowing in your gut it won't.

itzIce, ArtV, KingSamJack and 9 others like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

How close do you think Stone is to losing his job?

10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

I bet…tilly & stone is gonna lead this franchise tanking for five more years at least, good news is @Os Trigonum -led memes squad will grow from 8 men to 50 or more. LFG!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards likes this.
  12. ExTexanNowEastCoast

If Alpi is lucky, he will get traded to an organization that knows WTF its doing. Maybe he will end up with the Clippers, Lakers or Suns.

Our organization is run by buffoons.

couple of d's likes this.
  13. ExTexanNowEastCoast

My god your Terry Stotts reference is spot on.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Man everyone is just down lol. Geez.

I'm glad this season soured me on the Rockets just enough to not be as emotionally involved.

ExTexanNowEastCoast likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't really mind Vogel if he's the choice. Just not terribly high upside. Clearly a bridge coach, which is fine.

16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

giphy.gif

DeBeards likes this.
  18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

bridge coach, noooooooooooooooo

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Any anecdotal memory about that particular team that made them a 'crazy' locker room? That year with Vogel as coach they won 56 games and lost to Miami in 6 games in the ECF. Year before they took the Heatles to game 7 in the ECF. The roster was composed of 22 year olds PG13 and Lance Stephenson with the savvy vets of David West, Danny Granger and glue guys like Roy Hibbert and George Hill playing vital roles. He got the best out of those teams until PG was injured.

In Orlando his best player was Evan Fournier year 1 and then Vogel helped Aaron Gordon ramp it up the following year - rest of that roster was JAGS. Our current roster is better than what he had in Orlando.

Given the chance to coach Lebron and won it all. Underperformed his 2nd year and was scapegoated for the Russ trade and Carmelos putrid ass his final year there.

It wont be the end of the world if Vogel coaches this team.

20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I actually think this is a fair point, we can't use the lack of structure as an excuse for everybody else and not KPJ. I still think he's way more suited as a scorer/secondary ballhandler, but yeah he had no sets or anything really to run so it's hard to judge that next to a typical PG being the engine in a defined system. I'm definitely more in the "he's not the one" column than not, but I do see potential and would keep him if he was happy taking less of a driving seat position and come off the bench as a scoring wing (I think his ceiling there is so much lower than Green's that it'd be stupid to start him in all honesty.)