1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Frank Vogel "very much in the mix" to be next Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 15, 2023.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If winning is really the expectation next year Vogel makes the most sense. Bring in an inexperienced head coach and you'll have the "well he needs a year to install his blah blah blah" guys.

The tank is over. Time to win.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That means he gets a second interview.

saleem likes this.
  4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think it comes down to Nurse, Atkinson, Vogel and mysterious dark Horse 4th candidate in the end after all the 1st rd interviews.

I think Vogel is a good choice and he is the easiest to sway and hire compared to Nurse and Atkinson, who i both prefer.

Rashmon, groovemachine and saleem like this.
  5. Rokman

Rokman Member

Whoever they pick they need to do it relatively quickly because they need them to get in there and start implementing their system over the summer.

Arnel, Jontro, ramotadab and 8 others like this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yes!

not only that, but lets get someone in before teams get eliminated from the playoffs and new vacancies open. I'm sure if given the choice any top coach would jump to the Sixers or nuggets if they became available for example.

theDude, Deckard, Easy and 2 others like this.
  7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

no Udoka? who would you predict as the dark horse 4th candidate? I would think griffin or young.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  8. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

They received permission to interview a few and supposedly had eyes on others. Who all have they actually interviewed? Not that I have a problem with Vogel, but I hope they give them all a good look. Gotta bring in the right guy this time.

Losmi_34 and Rolliepollie like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Also to get their guy before the other teams get them. They need to figure this out quickly.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Yeah for some reason Udoka seems like smoke, maybe from his agent to maintain interest as a head coach around the league. Hes obviously very capable though, and is a top 5 candidate imo. Juat dont like the risk personally.

As a dark Horse, maybe someone like Cassell or Griffin.

BamBam and groovemachine like this.
  11. Rolliepollie

Rolliepollie Member

What a big mistake it will be to hire Vogel. Don't believe me just ask laker fans. Damn, I, now convinced as long as stone is here nothing will make us contenders, just never. Might need a new owner, I bet there is a fire Vogel thread first season, damn, just damn,

12. Rolliepollie

Rolliepollie Member

He's not even in the top tier for me, I would rank him like 5th behind Kenny udoka nurse I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. I mean there is like 3 or 4 better coaches and these dumbasses are going to hire the first coach they interview without doing there due diligence and interviewing others, it's an idiotic way of management does not surprise me one but, I actually made a joke to myself this week which may come true and that is 2 days ago I said "watch them be dumb enough to hire the first coach they interview and stop other interviews" and sure enough I wake up this morning and basically Vogel has been hired , I, guessing nurse was told to them that he isn't getting fired from the raptors

PeterKingX, JamesC and Jontro like this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

14. Rolliepollie

Rolliepollie Member

This guy gets it, it's stupid management to not interview others,. Comes off as severe desperation hiring the first coach u interview.

15. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Vogel is a good coach. He got dealt a bad hand with the Russ trade. But he's also a coach that looks better when he's given a super great hand such as the 2020-2021 Lakers. I don't really see him as a ceiling raiser for a below mid team. He can make a good team look great though. His rotations are pretty bad such as playing Avery Bradley 30+ mins a game due to his defense. If Vogel sees Nix as a good defender which stats say he is?, then I can see Nix playing mins.

xaos likes this.
  16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"He's going to be brought back again."

SO redundant. Unless it's for a thitd interview, leave out the "again".

Vogel would be okay with me. Okey-Udoka would be best, but his name hasn't been connected to s real interview yet.

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Vogel works for me. Fits what we need. Defensive minded, champion, still pretty young, etc.

don grahamleone, cbass and smoothie like this.
  18. JW86

JW86 Member

No thank you, I can think of at least 4 better options.

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I can think of three I’d prefer (Ime, Nurse, Atkinson), but he’s my clear fourth.

thedude077 likes this.
  20. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I've been thinking that Vogel is getting way too little love in all these polls for who fans want next... I'm not sure he's the best option out there, but he's a proven winner at every level, and is definitely being underrated by fans IMO.