1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Frank, Sampson and Brown The Serious Candidates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, May 6, 2011.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Who gives a flip if Sampson broke NCAA rules if he is a good NBA coach?

"Its easy to talk about, its easy to sum it up when you just talk about phone calls. We sittin' in here, I'm supposed to be the coach, and we in here talkin' about phone calls. I mean listen, we talkin bout phone calls. Not a game, not a game, not a game. We talkin bout phone calls. Not a game, not a, not a, not the game that I go out there and die for, and coach every game like its my last. Not the game. We talkin' bout phone calls, man. I mean how silly is that? We talkin' bout phone calls. I know I'm supposed to be there, I know I'm supposed to lead by example. I know that, and I'm not shovin' it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know its important, I do. I honestly do. But we talkin' bout phone calls, man. What are we talkin' bout? Phone calls? We talkin' bout phone calls man. "

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Still don't believe the short list is finalized even if Woj is reporting it. Those are probably the serious candidates so far.

At least he's good at delegating authority.

Anyway, whoever the coach is, he won't be an upgrade over Adelman. That person may not even exist. I don't know why y'all are being so picky about who the sacrificial lamb is going to be. Barring some miraculous move by Morey this offseason, we're going to be worse in 2012.

2 people like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There are penalties in the NBA, too. If he calls a player prior to that player becoming a free agent, we're f!cked. The mere mention in an interview of wanting a player who is not a free agent f!cks us. He could also screw us by leaking info behind Morey's back.

The guy broke the rules of his job. Twice! Dude got caught TWICE! Why talk to him? What is so hard to understand.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

heyp, take another look at the VERY QUOTE you used. That's almost EXACTLY what I said! Sure, I followed it up with the "More importantly," part about relationships. But I still said what Woj is reporting now about compiling information.

I don't want to continue this part of the conversation, as it will detract from the thread, but you've got to lighten up a bit. I never tried to insult the poster when I posted that link to my prior post. I appreciate the "adulation" you bestowed upon me after criticizing me for something that was actually accurate.

Honestly, I screw up about enough other stuff for which you can (more rightfully) criticize me. It's just that THIS isn't one of them.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well Sampson was a winner in college, although through pretty unethical ways, and he won't need to worry about the NCAA being on his a$$. I could go with Sampson but really hope Casey changed their mind last night and we can add him to the triple threat match.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Hahaha. Thanks for the compliments, but I wouldn't go that far. Hell, I was among the many fans who absolutely HATED Morey's 2007 draft haul. So I certainly don't know everything. But, since you mentioned it, . . .

I did NAIL this one:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=4557419&postcount=356

McGrady three-way trade with the Knicks involving Jared Jeffries, almost NINE MONTHS before the February 2010 trade deadline. (I never thought they'd get a player as good as Kevin Martin, though, which would have changed my views on giving up Landry; but they didn't even involve Sacramento until the night before the deadline).

(Sorry, I couldn't resist the opportunity to "toot my own horn" on this one. I so rarely get these things right, especially when Daryl Morey is involved, so I like taking these opportunities when I get them.) :grin:

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hmmph... of this short list I would prefer Frank, but I am a bit underwhelmed.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

I know he didn't actually channel AI and say that, but screw it, I'm on board. Another clue is how most people already hate him, for reasons unrelated to coaching. That is the MO and key ingredient for wildly successful Morey acquisitions.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

SAM I AM!!!

Rocket River

10. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

good point, morey has a knack for disregarding all the petty, extemporaneous reasons coaches/players/assets are unattractive or unlikeable to others, and isolating the important factors necessary to accurately evaluating them.

honestly, i don't know much about sampson, but the more i read, the more i like. frank is my favorite of these three, and no matter how much i try, i can't bring my self to analyzing mike brown's coaching ability without accounting for the lebron factor.

mike brown does have one thing going for him... his defenses in cleveland were superb team defenses comprised of above average to average individual defenders. i like that.

11. gah

gah Member

Actually, I don't think much of Nostradamus. :grin:

But you have been right, in an out of the box way like heypartner said, which is also what makes Morey cool in my book.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I really don't want Mike Brown at all.

It will be disappointing to (potentially) take such a step back after JVG and Adelman.. I'm waiting to be wrong.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The "adulation" is the truth. I enjoy reading everything you write. That's the truth.

cheers

14. worzel gummidge

Better than Frank. Frank turns championship contenders into underachieving clubs.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

That is exactly what I mean. Thanks for articulating it.

Frank looks like the obvious choice. Brown... looks like the smoke screen(wishful thinking?) Sampson looks like the curve ball that polarizes the fan base, or maybe just infuriates it. And ends up being the homerun.

Hey guys, remember how you felt when we drafted Aaron Brooks as our 5th Pg? Remember how you felt when we picked another undersized PF named Landry? Remember how you felt when we traded our starting PG for some no name backup on a cellar dweller? Remember how you felt when we dumped Ariza for Lee just to save money? Remember how you felt when we traded the 8th pick for some role player?(Okay, you probably do remember that one and still hate it. Proof that you haven't gotten any smarter.)

Hey guys, remember how you felt when we let go of the 8th most winningest coach of all time to hire some disgraced scum bag cheater?

1 person likes this.
  16. inishi

inishi Member

Weren't missing discipline last year. We were missing a starting center and a defensive presence in the paint. Can't blame RA for that. Doesn't matter who is coaching, won't be a good defensive team with chuck and scola guarding the paint and Kmart and bud on the perimeter. Is it that hard to understand? Coaching was the LEAST of the rockets worries

1 person likes this.
  17. FullMetal Sage

And I thought we'd at least be fun to watch next season:(

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: Mike Brown is maligned for bad offense . .. I am wondering. . how much control he had over the offense. A part of me wonders if he had a choice.
    LeBron ran Cleveland. Period.
    The offense was whatever Lebron wanted it to be.
    Here . . .he would have more control over the team than in Cleveland

Maybe we don't know the real Mike Brown yet .. . :cool:

Rocket River
    Trying to put a positive spin on Mike Brown

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

signed,

Aaron (run out the clock and chuck one up) Brooks.

20. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Are you positive Adelman is Jewish?
    http://www.jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=786