1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Frank, Sampson and Brown The Serious Candidates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, May 6, 2011.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

<span style='text-align:left;display:block;'><p><object type='application/x-shockwave-flash' data='http://s2.wp.com/wp-content/plugins/audio-player/player.swf?m=1236370442g' width='290' height='24' id='audioplayer1'><param name='movie' value='http://s2.wp.com/wp-content/plugins/audio-player/player.swf?m=1236370442g' /><param name='FlashVars' value='&amp;bg=0xf8f8f8&amp;leftbg=0xeeeeee&amp;lefticon=0x666666&amp;rightbg=0xcccccc&amp;rightbghover=0x999999&amp;righticon=0x772124&amp;righticonhover=0xffffff&amp;text=0x666666&amp;slider=0x666666&amp;track=0xFFFFFF&amp;border=0x666666&amp;loader=0x772124&amp;soundFile=http://cbshouston.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/adrian-wojnarowski56.mp3'/><param name='quality' value='high' /><param name='menu' value='false' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#FFFFFF' /><param name='wmode' value='opaque' /></object></p></span>
    http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/05/06/frank-sampson-and-brown-the-serious-candidates-for-rockets/

- Says the Rockets aren't seriously looking at all these guys; just trying to gather information (different perspectives, how people view their roster, etc.)
    - Says Lawrence Frank is a very serious candidate
    - Says Leslie Alexander went with Morey to Miami to interview Frank
    - Says people around the league think highly of Sampson; thinks he's a serious candidate as well
    - Says Rockets haven't talked to Mike Brown yet, but thinks that he was on the Rockets radar from the beginning. Says he's the best guy out there.

2. snc

snc Member

Uhg this isn't encouraging to me at all.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think it will be Lawrence Frank.

And we will suck.

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

If we get Mike Brown I will lose all faith in Morey.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I will say the idea of bringing in multiple people to give them what is basically free consulting on the roster is a stroke of genius IMO.

I'm not thrilled with Lawrence Frank but I could see him bringing back a level of discipline that Adelman was never capable of instituting. If he doesn't destroy the offense, this team, as currently composed, will win more games under Frank than it did under Adelman last season.

Then again, I've felt Adelman was a C coach last year anyway. It won't be that hard to duplicate that.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, the two Dick Justice referred to learler must be Lawrence "Bill Van Gundy's b*stard Son" Frank and Kelvin "Disgraced College Coach" Sampson, with Mike Brown (and possibly others) still to come.

Frank may have a leg up right now... they are looking for a new "Thibodeau" and L. Frank has Thibodeau's last job.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

so, any recommendations on what team i should root for when we hire kelvin sampson? cause it sure as **** ain't going to be the rockets.

2 people like this.
  9. blacktopKING

blacktopKING Member

OKC or Memphis! =)

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

yeah, probably okc because of durant. good call! maybe gsw just cause i dig the bay area so much.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If this article is right, I have a 33% chance of being really pissed off. :p

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

we could jump on the Griffin/Clippers bandwagon to send Sampson a message.

13. AXG

AXG Member

I'm not excited about any of the candidates mentioned. :(

14. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Preface: I'm Jewish

Les Alexander: Jewish

Rick Adelman: Jewish

Lawrence Frank: Jewish

Time to break out the red yamulkahs Lawrence!

15. snc

snc Member

I don't like Frank and I hate Brown, but I don't follow college. What's wrong with Sampson and who is the best out of the three? Frank?

16. blackistan

blackistan Member

I like frank and would def have him over brown

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm seriously underwhelmed with THIS shortlist...The fact that it's WOJ saying this sucks bigtime as he's usually right.

And Mike Brown is my nightmare....incompetence personified.

Frank is head and shoulders above the others, but that's not saying much.

#17 Plowman, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  18. ThaShark316_28

Frank would be just fine...

Sampson and Brown? **** NO.

19. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Lawrence Frank is a legit coach. I'm 100% behind hiring him.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I wonder if anyone previously thought this was the case. ;)

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=6095874#post6095874

Also, assuming this is true (and I'm actually a bit skeptical, since I think Dwane Casey is another strong candidate who only got his interview last night), here are my opinions of those three guys:

Lawrence Frank: I always thought he was a decent coach in New Jersey. Unfortunately, both Jason Kidd and Vince Carter started to "jake" it towards the end of his tenure there. Maybe Frank's learned some things about being a head coach since then. Also, it may be easier for him to coach a (mostly) young team as opposed to the veteran squad he had for most of his time in New Jersey.

Kelvin Sampson: Yes, he broke NCAA rules on multiple occasions. Yes, he deserves to be ridiculed for that and to be the butt of many a joke about it. But dude can COACH! I thought he was one of the best coaches at any level of basketball when he was at Oklahoma. Apparently, he has quickly become of the most well-respected assistant coaches in the NBA during his time with Milwaukee. If Les and Morey think he's ready for an NBA head coaching gig, I could get on board with that.

Mike Brown: Cleveland's offense sucked while he was head coach, primarily due to the fact that he just let Lebron do whatever the hell he wanted on O. However, Brown's forte is DEFENSE, and the Cavs played GREAT defense during his tenure. Lebron didn't guard all 5 opposing players, did he? If Brown and Morey can put together a staff that has the offensive minds necessary to continue the progress on that end, I think we'll be fine. He's a GREAT defensive coach.