1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj]Covington traded for Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Nov 16, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Remember Ariza tried to dribble last time?

steddinotayto likes this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yep most mocks have him going after 16

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree that picks are worthless (even if we keep Harden/Westbrook). This team hasn't been drafting the last couple of years and it has really shown based on our aging team. We hired Stephen Silas who is an excellent at player development and will value using rookies in the line-up as opposed to an old stubborn grouch that stubbornly sticks with veterans.

I'm not necessarily joyful about this move (especially since RoCo worked really well in the system), but we really do need to start working on getting some young talent to this team and developing them into useful role players (maybe even hit on a lucky one that may be an all star talent). Draft is no slam dunk and we could pick some shitty talent (we have missed quite a bit in the past), but I think regardless of the direction the team decides to head in, moves like these are sometimes necessary.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I actually hoped we could've get something more substantial for Rob, but whatever i guess.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We got equal value (2 Picks) and Ariza (Harden's close friend) so we actually got more than we paid less than a year ago, I like you overrated him but looking back, it's not terrible and could set up for some subsequent moves.

joshuaao and Vivi like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We gave up Capela for Roco though.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We traded Capela for a FRP straight up.

That was essentially a separate trade aggregated into one.

Capela was for pick #17.

Covington was for #17 and #22.

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I mean 2 first round picks is substantial

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, fair enough. At least assuming Ariza is happy to play here.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

RoCo in Portland will actually be interesting to watch. He'd be less interesting here without Harden. (sigh)

Rocket River likes this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think there are a few more moves that are made very soon that will have a lot of people shocked. There is no reason to do this trade unless a very very strong plan is in place. Ariza + 2 non lottery picks is not enough to start a rebuild.

2 Predictions.

#1 Harden isn't traded this offseason.
    #2. The Rockets get at least one borderline star that wasn't here last year.

joshuaao and fckbandwagons like this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i mean, it's not a bad trade in terms of value, but i would've hope for better pick in this draft, the 16th pick in a poor draft isn't exactly great value, and Portland 2022 pick shouldn't be better then a 20/25 pick.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We got two first rounders though. And Ariza is a tradeable asset to a current contender like the Bucks or Lakers.

This gives us a lot of options. If we can offload Westbrook for some picks then Ariza, multiple first round picks along with EG can net us a decent running mate for Harden like KAT or all those picks can be part of our rebuild if we do trade Harden.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. pauebtg

pauebtg Member

Obviously they got rid of Covington for the picks (plus to get rid of his 4 year contract) to Rebuild. Ariza most likely won't see any playing time or will be waived. I like it, lets just blow it up. Harden is unhappy and there's nothing the Rockets can offer that can make him stay. To be honest I was getting tired of the Small ball/3 pt chucking. It was always only good enough to Win games and be a Top 3 team, but never a championship (I know except CP3's first year if it wasn't for the hamstring)

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Even if it's separate, it's still in the same breath..... At the same time period.

I am not seeing the difference.

Ariza's value ain't that high so it's definitely just the picks as well.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Because the Wolves didn't get Capela. They got a pick.

We traded Capela for a FRP.

The Wolves only received 2 picks for RoCo.

I don't understand the confusion. What we received for Covington are better picks than the Wolves got. Capela being traded for one of those picks has absolutely nothing to do with RoCo's value.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, that's true, unless they also trade Harden of course. It does seem weird they traded Rob before him though, so i can actually see them burning these two picks to make an upgrade, not sure it's the right move if Harden wants to go, but whatever.

18. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

The draft is a complete crap shoot. The value of picks has taken a nose dive in recent seasons bc teams know that they are worthless. If you are planning on contending then it is much better to sign FA who were in a bad situation such as McLemore. The only picks that have value are 1-5 bc you generally have a good idea of what you’re getting in that range. The rest of the draft is generally players who never develop into their potential.

This is the end. Expect Harden and Westbrook to be traded before the season. The only way this isn’t the end is if RoCo was the accountability issue but I think we all know that isn’t the case.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

KAT would be dumb to come here after he learns Harden is about to bolt.

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I didn't make the thread DO NOT TRADE JAMES HARDEN because I thought it was catchy. I did it because it makes no ****ing sense to tank in a year where you don't have your own pick. If you want to build around Ben Simmons you can start that next offseason or at the trade deadline if this isn't working out 100%.We want this pick to be in the early 20s at worse so OKC can get bent.