1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Chicago Trades Alex Caruso for Oklahoma Josh Giddey

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Jun 20, 2024.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

robbie380 likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

thunderchets is a dope name

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah if the rumors are true that the Bulls are going to have a firesale and bottom out (like they should have done years ago) than this trade does make a lot more sense.

Sure, they should have traded Caruso at the deadline but can't cry over spilled milk. I doubt they were going to get a better prospect back than Giddey even though its likely he's a full bust if they are just going to suck any way it doesn't hurt bringing in another young player like that.

If they are trading their vets not sure what they do with Coby White. A good young player with fringe all-star potential that would be wasted on a complete rebuilding team.

robbie380, DaDakota and Ottomaton like this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Chicago is not in a good place for a re-build. They are on the mediocrity train with very little they can do to get off. Lavine is a negative asset at 3 years 38M. Vucevic, White, Donsumo are all legitimate NBA starters. They have good but not great assets. Giddy is not deft of talent. Caruso was their only vet trade chip and they chose to swap a good role player for potential. I could see them trading away some future picks to try and move up and grab Sarr and try and re-sign DeRozan.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Take a shot on Lonzo's knee?

DD

Jontro likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Heck, adding a Patrick Williams or Kyle Anderson makes them better IMHO.

Hartenstone might not be an easy 'get'.

#86 daywalker02, Jun 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    Jontro likes this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I see your point and I'd be fine being on the Bulls side of this. However, more NBA GMs could learn to not get stuck on draft position as a signal of player value... in particular one Ruffle Stone

Plowman and daywalker02 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Was a mutual decision that Giddey played his part and he decided against being the sixth man next season.

It became obvious he was not the best fit.

All fair negotiations.

The Thunder are also doing players favors which rival fans have criticized in the past.

Jontro and Plowman like this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think it works for both teams, although it's good to see OKC throw in the towel on Giddey, and move towards fine tuning their team.
    Caruso, to me, is overrated...30 yrs old, injury issues, and a role player. Of course, I see the fit, but ....like the idea of OKC missing on picks. We need them to have some more issues with trades, injuries, and such....

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I’m with you. I think Chicago won this trade

couple of d's and Plowman like this.
  11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

All of OKC's players improved last season. Giddy flatlined, fell behind and no longer had a useful role on the team. From a practical point of view, OKC gave up nothing. In return, they received a veteran, disruptive, defender who is a very good 3-point shooter and can step right into a 20 mpg role on their team.

I guess you need to have seen Giddey's arc on OKC the last 3 years. It was pretty obvious last season to most he was no longer a fit. On a mediocre team like the Bulls, Giddey should have the ball in his hands a lot and maybe put up enough stats to get a middling contract. On a contending team like OKC, he's an 8th man. Hopefully this fuels him to improve his obvious weaknesses so teams won't target him on both ends of the floor.

Jayzers_100, Easy and daywalker02 like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

anyone who’s saying Caruso sucks is just blasting in big bright letters that they don’t pay attention to the rest of the NBA…

Caruso: All-Defense 1st team and 2nd team the last 2 years…career 38% 3 point shooter and shot 41% on almost 5 attempts a game last season

Giddey: can’t shoot, can’t defend, unplayable in the playoffs

the one who actually sucks right now is Giddey…a straight swap is a fleece for OKC…Caruso can actually play a role in the postseason and not be a liability

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Caruso has been one of the best positional defenders who has good hands and exceptional anticipation skills, reminds me of a bald and unathletic Amen Thompson, he does suck a titt on Offense but OKC has found offensive players in history...harden,kd,wb,jeff green,oladipo,sabonis,sga etc...

I myself have grown to love his game.

Clearly a Win Now move and Giddey won't help Bulls to magically become contenders.
    Keeping Derozan is merely wasting his last years.

#93 daywalker02, Jun 22, 2024
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Maybe, we will see. But consider this. Winning teams got winning players. Winning players want to get paid. Eventually, OKC, like every other team, will have to choose to let some players go they would rather keep. No team wants to be up against the 2nd apron.

In the end, they wont be able to pay them all. But until OKC reaches this stage of things, they will definitely be a problem.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For next year. Then they will have to decide whether to pay him. If they do, other players wont.

16. MadMax

MadMax Member

They have so many assets to work with. They just finished with the 1 seed. They have a legit MVP candidate already. And they have like 30 draft picks over the next 7 years…and a ton of cap space still available. Of course they have to convert but that’s about as well set up as any team I can recall.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Things can go wrong for any team. Maybe we get lucky.

roslolian and MadMax like this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Member

Yep. Like I said, they still have to convert. But I sure wish we had the hand they’ve been dealt.

roslolian likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think one team has subscribed luck for years, every franchise has its ups and downs yet teams like the Thunder put themselves in position to maximize the Ups.

The Mavericks and Kidd maximized their 50 game post ASB run.....as well as any team possibly could in theory.

OKC maybe making the same trades these times around as Dallas did.

#99 daywalker02, Jun 22, 2024
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am glad were not in Oklahoma :D

MadMax likes this.