1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ]Celtics engaged with HOU about Clint Capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

This is unlikely, first we don't even know if Boston is willing to trade Smart, but even if they're, Minnesota has probably no interest in him since they want a point guard (that's why they're after Russell hard), which makes sense cause they have already young guards who are good defenders and/or have that potential (Okojie and Culver).

2. Nook

Nook Member

Who cares what hook nose says?

I have no idea what the future holds but I know I wouldn’t take Lowe’s word for it.

Covington has weaknesses. He cannot create much for himself and mostly scores as an opportunist. He has injury issues and he can be streaky as a shooter.

On the other hand he is a perfect fit for the Rockets. He consistently plays hard. He is a good enough three point shooter to stretch the defense. He is one of the top 10-15 defensive players in the league because he can switch all 5 positions and be an above average defender. He is strong with long arms and never lets up. He gets out in transition well and gets back defensively.

Will the Rockets miss Capela (if he is traded), yes sometimes but they can get 75% of his production from someone like Daniel Theis. He can shoot 3’s when he gets to shoot them regularly, he blocks shots and rebounds. He has some limitations against bigger players, but Capela has defensive limitations as well.

BigMaloe, D-rock, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  3. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Capela for Smart, Thies and a pick, and its a deal
    On That team capela was very useful, ideally we could land a player like cov with a Brandon knight contract and contend but we have lost all our assets. I really don’t how a Westbrook harden Gordon Covington Tucker lineup will fare in the west playoffs. Definitely should be okay vs current 2-8 but LAL would be next to impossible, no?

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, this seems likely to me. Covington being the wing the Rockets want and Theis is a solid rotational C that would work well in the Rockets system.

The question is, can the Rockets get 2 FRP + Theis from the Celtics? And then route those picks to Minny for Covington. Because in that deal the Rockets KEEP their OWN FRPs to use for something else.

Vivi likes this.
  5. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Why do you hate on Zach Lowe so much?

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Don’t see the Celtics trading Smart, much less those additional pieces as well, for Clint.

Rocks92 likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

He is a good defender and useful offensive player. He had match up limitations and is best playing 20-25 minutes. If he is utilized right he is a real positive. The key with him is being careful to not over expose him. He would have Tucker getting minutes and the 5 and Chandler available against a select group of centers.

The nice thing about him on the offensive end of the court is that he really can do some things well. He has a high motor so he gets involved a lot in transition offense, is a good transition passer. When allowed to shoot 3’s regularly he isn’t bad. He gets a lot of hustle points and knows when to get out of the way to create space and where to go on lockouts.

D-rock and Vivi like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Thinking about this, and i hope this what Morey will eventually be able to get cause keeping our picks would be possibly a game changer in terms of asset managment.

Even though, i have a difficult time thinking about Ainge giving up two 1st rounders here, if anything cause one is the Grizzlies one, which isn't going to be great, but could be a lottery pick.

And talking about this, that guy in the Hawks forum said this about the potential trade:

"Celtics got a shitload of players in their framework. MIN nor HOU really likes the trade. HOU wants to save more and MIN wants a better deal but they are getting the Memphis pick with limited protection based on the original. Boston top 10 protected it but even then, it's a great value. Atlanta's BRK 1st lottery protected isn't as coveted by MIN but both love the deal A LOT more. Mainly because it's simple. Not too many players and you can get draft pick value as well. So we will see what HOU does.

Boston: MEM pick, Theis, a shitload of whatevers. No young players they covet. No Edwards, Langford, etc.

Atlanta: Brooklyn 1st, Parker, Nene, Capela, and Len"

D-rock likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Two words:
    [​IMG]

10. Nook

Nook Member

From what I was told an hour ago, no the Rockets don’t think so. However that is the hope with the #1 of the Rockets possibly then going to another team for a rookie scale contract player to be a rotation player.

D-rock, Vivi and Deuce like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Does he get a lot of *Tommy Points* too?

Nook likes this.
  12. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Lol they can go to hell then cannot trade garbage for a top 5 center. Morey was amazing at this prior to CPs arrival and was finessing everyone. Tough times recently to just even get a shumpert quality player, absolutely should keep clint if the offer isn’t there

D-rock and clutchdabear like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

He is biased and how he reports on players and teams is very much connected to his relationship with the front office or particular player or agent.

He also is gullible to mob mentality and really wants to be part of the media clique.

I will read why he says and I appreciate that he actually tries to understand actual plays and assignments (unlike the ESPN twin fatties) but he is skewed.

Rocks92, lionaire, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  14. icewill36

icewill36 Member

I really doubt we are actually making these moves to get these two though. Would we be under the tax ? If not don't get your hopes up that this will happen.

15. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I just remember you once saying something like he is a creep behind the scenes or something and I’m just hoping he doesn’t get cancelled cause I like him lol

16. Nook

Nook Member

Haha Tommy is just about the last person I would want to watch a basketball game with. Even his friends just smile when he name has been brought up.

Can you imagine having a social encounter with Ainge and Tommy?

D-rock likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would hang myself, first.

D-rock likes this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Minni can claim they want two FRPs, but they likely only get one. Boston providing an FRP for Capela, plus Theis and whatever filler you add in there to send to Minni sounds like a great deal for all teams.

If Rockets can avoid giving up one of their own FRPs, that would be golden.

D-rock likes this.
  19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The concept being discussed involves the Celtics sending the Rockets the first round pick Minnesota wants for Covington, Covington and Theis go to Houston, and Capela goes to Boston.

20. Nook

Nook Member

He wrote pointed things about Harden and the Rockets and made it personal and then when the Rockets improved he suddenly tried to get close to Morey and Daryl told him he is wasting his time when they both were at Sloan. So Lowe went back to being a jackass.

Lowe had an issue with a girlfriend in college. He didn’t break the law but he was a major ass. He has alluded to the story before but is oblivious to the fact he was a jerk.

BigMaloe and D-rock like this.