1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Carmelo Anthony open to waiving no-trade clause for Rockets or Cavaliers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2017.

1. hvic

hvic Member

I honestly think that Qi (Chinese money) is staying in Houston.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe he's the best we can get at this point but I don't think he's elite. He can score 20+ points ( not very efficiently) and plays poor defense. But as a lower option it makes sense

justtxyank likes this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

It's official

Rudyc281 and bilaal14 like this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He'd definitely be a 4 almost exclusively here, right? He can't defend 3s at this point

bilaal14 likes this.
  5. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

To be fair, the Knicks were and are a clown show. That environment is too toxic for Melo to lead anything.

And honestly, Melo isn't that number 1 option to lead a team. He's better suited as a number 2 or 3 option. As a 3 option here I think his efficiency would improve, especially with CP3 running the point.

I'm hesitant trading for him just because I'm concerned of the package it would take... but as a buyout? Absolutely I'd pick him up.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Bill Simmons has the overly simplistic way of evaluating players that I initially hated but have since come around to.

"Could this guy have played in the last NBA Finals?"

And the answer for Anderson, IMO, is No. He was useless against SA once they were able to game plan for him (which any team in a 7 game series will do) and the same would have happened against GSW and CLE. (I believe that had Nene not gotten injured we'd have had Anderson on the bench a lot more.) Our 3+layups style is great but if a guy can only shoot 3s then that guy is easy easy for a defense to account for. Stay on that guy (Anderson) and make him beat you some other way one-on-one. And as we know, Anderson can't beat anyone one on one or be any type of playmaker.

Anderson is a good regular season player. But his game is such that he can't be a big part of any team's playoff run. As a backup 4? Sure! But as your starter against the forwards of the West? No chance.

Melo is flawed for sure, but sticking with a meh (at best) playoff performer in Anderson doesn't sound like raising our risk profile.

joshuaao, Rodman23 and newAge_Rockets like this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Knicks are looking to trade Kyle oquinn and Courtney lee for cap space.

8. Asian Sensation

We need Melo because he's a go-to player that can close out games. Anderson aside the more pressing issue is that Harden is a great regular season performer but his playoff struggles are real.

CVcrew likes this.
  9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Anderson is completely worthless at home. If those wide open 3s aren't falling, he's a total liability on the court.

Rocket River likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You can't call him an elite player and then say he's a 2nd or third option. That's my point. He's NOT elite anymore. He can still be very good

YOLO likes this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Bad argument. Whats curry then?

12. justtxyank

Lee doesn't really fit here now because we won't have enough minutes for him, but I love him as a player.

13. justtxyank

Curry is a 2nd option by choice because an MVP candidate joined the best team of all time lol.

Melo is a 2nd or 3rd option because he's not good enough anymore to be a first option.

14. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

Although I'm not very high on Melo as a player, this is one reason why I feel like we would be better off with Melo on this team. Harden just isn't that reliable in the playoffs and we need another guy that can score during crucial stretches. And maybe Harden will improve his production once the defense is not solely concentrating on stopping him. CP3 & Melo will definitely have that effect.

Red.Glare and Mr Chuck Norris like this.
  15. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Lee fits everywhere. You pick him up in the deal if you can.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Whats kyrie?
    Whats cp3?
    Whats PG13?

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

This whole 'arms race" thing for me is fleshing out 'old and slow'. Speed, shooting skill and defense will be the future of the NBA. If you are not matching up with the Warriors speed you are just going to get left in the dust anyway. Teams mortgaging their future to just 'come close' is self-defeating over the longer term.

We will be in good shape for the Old-timers game though.

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Rather get oquinn.

pippendagimp likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

For the Knicks. . . . Anderson maybe easier to trade than Melo
    That alone maybe tempted . . . .cause they won't have to get any consessions from Anderson

Rocket River

DonKnock and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

eventually I think melo finds his way in houston

Rudyc281 and CVcrew like this.