1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Carmelo Anthony open to waiving no-trade clause for Rockets or Cavaliers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2017.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I would trade Ariza if it made a difference, but I don't think it would, and I don't think we could justify it given he's helped bring Paul here. I was 100% willing to trade him for George. But for Melo? meh. Would rather wait even months. Who knows who else can break loose, what other opportunities come up, what we can put together and how desperate the Knicks will get.

We're headed to 60 wins as is. The Melo trade is a play for the playoffs. Don't even need anyone to fill that role till midseason. Earlier would be a nice luxury, but a luxury I'm not willing to overpay for.

2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I fall asleep and this thread is on and poppin:eek:

Some very intriguing twists over the past few hours:eek:

BigMaloe, Rudyc281 and Snow Villiers like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Last one, I promise.

Have been feeling extremely down. Those Knicks fans are the perfect cure. Sigh.

BigMaloe and malakas like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DonKnock likes this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, Ariza alone doesn't make any difference and i don't feel like we would trade him at this point.

I just don't get how there's people saying "dodged a bullet with Millsap" and at the same time they are willing to trade Capela, Ariza, Gordon to get Melo who makes basically the same money of Millsap...bizarre.

Mathloom and Possum like this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

there are 20 different pros and cons floating around here from james/cp3 friends angle to lbj refusing to sign an extension to melo's sidedish being in HOU :D

and of course melo made the all-star team last year, as a volume chucker putting up numbers. that's not going to happen in CLE where he'll be a complimentary player. and even otherwise young players like porzingas can have breakout years, hayward could end up in the east, and hell maybe they actually put a center on the east team this time too :D

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Just got to work and saw this. Another unproductive workday coming right up.

8. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

As I said earlier, there is zero chance Morey gives away Capela or Gordon in exchange for Melo. Not going to happen.

OTH, Ariza is a fair game. I just don't see what's so special about him, he wasn't even that good during the regular season, and has been mediocre to downright atrocious in the playoffs in recent years. Also, Ariza is getting older and gradually losing his step, and just because he's close with Harden and CP3 is not enough reason to keep him around when we can bring in players of Melo's caliber.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not that high on Carmelo as a player either. I also think Ryno+Ariza combo would certainly produce more value than just Melo alone during the regular season. But in the playoffs? As we've witnessed countless times, you need multiple players who can score in difficult, high-pressure situations other than Harden, because sometimes Harden breaks down during those moments. Ryno & Ariza are not capable of doing that, but maybe Melo could be our 2nd go-to-guy when Harden struggles to get his act together.

#288 brewer's goat, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

His salary is higher this year, like $19.3

10. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

With our predictable substitution patterns, I wouldn't count on seeing Harden starting any second quarters. :)

11. malakas

malakas Member

hahaha yes
    but noone is better at that than Boston fans. ;)

Mathloom and DonKnock like this.
  12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Everytime I look at Ryan Scrub Anderson's contract as a non Rockets fan...

[​IMG]

Mr. Clutch and J.R. like this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

No chance of a center unless Embiid manages to stay healthy. If Love made it last year in Cleveland there's no reason why Melo who is more popular wouldn't. In fact you can take Love out as well from all star lol.
    What a mess. though I wouldn't mind my fav Middleton as all star.

Anyway, we better trade for him coz the chances of choosing us over Cleveland is prettyyy low.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

please don't quote this site; it's not credible.. i'm now dumber for having read this tweet. We all are.

malakas likes this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Man, i think folks are underselling how good Love can be in our offense. Love is way way better basketball player than Anderson. He's just underutilized on that Cleveland team. It's not even a question that Love is huge upgrade over Anderson.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. blackistan

blackistan Member

I just don't see how Melo doesn't go play with Lebron rather than coming here

malakas likes this.
  17. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

Because Cavs have very little incentive to bring in Melo. They would have to give up Love in order to make that deal work, but why would they?

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm honestly not sure love wasn't just on there as part of a league initiative for racial diversity :D

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yes i know, but it's bizarre to read some things.

20. malakas

malakas Member

No they would have to give up Tristan Thompson and Frye.

Where did that idea that Cleveland needs to trade Love for Melo come from in the first place?? And everyone just repeats it?
    It's ridiculous.
    Just because NY doesn't want our trash contract doesn't mean they dont' want an expiring and a younger player.