1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Woj) Carmelo Anthony and Rockets part ways

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Nov 15, 2018.

1. riko

riko Member

It seems Melo was not happy with his role.

2. RESINator

RESINator Member

His brief stint was not completely risk free. Might have cost us home advantage.

Zboy likes this.
  3. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I really feel like Biglydik said he wouldn’t come back unless Melo was moved off of the team.

B-Bob, Blurr#7 and Crashlanded19 like this.
  4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

@heypartner

Oh noes!

5. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Make sense, Melo got him fired in Denver. Melo just has bad relationships around the league amongst coaches. 2 of those coaches(both fired because of him) are on our staff. He's proven to not be coachable, dude quit on the Rockets because he couldn't be the star. I lost the little respect i had for him.

6. gogispade

gogispade Member

MDA events the result of getting fired. MELO 1 - 1 MDA, when is part no. 3? :D

7. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

I think mike didn’t really care as much because he was still a head coach after the knicks but Jeff was downgraded to an assistant coach. So his pocket was affect more compared to D’Antoni’s.
    Plus I feel he was more direct about Jeff coaching being the cause of the Denver Nuggets struggles. He blamed it all on him and him not letting the players feel free when playing.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  8. radiohunk

radiohunk Member

So, basically what the Rockets gained out of the Melo signing is a distraction in the offseason, overshadowing the lack of free agent signing options and the loss of Ariza and Mbah Moute.

Rockets fans are now all happy even though we realistically had a horrible offseason. If there wasnt a Melo signing, tillman may have lost season ticket holders.

Ziggy likes this.
  9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

The ones that never show up? or halfway through the game?

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

It sure as hell cost us Luc for the same amount and Ive always rather had Luc over this little b**** the whole time.

Starks03 and RocketRed84 like this.
  11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The Luc that we last saw in the playoffs trying to play with his shooting arm dangling around due to two separated shoulder injuries or the Luc this year that's out with a knee injury?

jcf, SWTsig, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  12. omgTHEpotential

It was clear last year (when he was still with the OKC) that the only way Melo could be somewhat effective is if he came off the bench for 15-20mpg as a scorer. If you give him a bigger role than that, he becomes a huge liability.

13. kevtse

kevtse Member

Cant wait to boo this quitter when he visit Toyota Certer. Just hoping he is not heading to China.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Him being on the clippers vs him staying with us have inverse implications of his health of his knee but sure....

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think we are fully satisfied. You are right, our summer wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. We resigned key pieces and also got Ennis who has played pretty well and found a gem in Gary Clark. We do need to get rid of some garbage, like Chriss and Zhou and find a couple of suitable replacements. I like Green, but seems like he should be more of a situational player. I don't know what to expect from Knight. I'd like to believe he will become a better player with us but that's probably wishful thinking. So we definitely have some immediate needs that Morey needs to figure out before Mike runs our players into the ground.

radiohunk likes this.
  16. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Wheres the negativity outside of Wade's comments? From what I've seen a lot of people agree it was right to let him go

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm fine cutting Melo. Despite trying, he just isn't capable of playing defense in this system and he just doesn't fit.

With that said, from what I've read, D'antoni wanted Melo to sit around and wait for an open 3, then immediately pass if he was closed out. If that's the case, it's fine, that is MDA's prerogative and he knows what he's doing.

But...

I see where Melo is coming from (although he should have known before signing) and from an offensive basketball usage standpoint, I see why he was frustrated and I somewhat side with him.

Why?

Because I was expecting him to be used slightly differently. I thought he was here to replace Ryan Anderson. Ryan Anderson was 1-dimensional. If he didn't have 2 feet of open clearance to take the 3 it was game over. And it frustrated me when defenses keyed on him and rendered him a non-factor. Ryno was a better 3pt shooter, slightly better on defense but a worse rebounder compared to Melo. The difference with Melo, you added another guy who could put the ball on the floor and collapse the defense. Melo can also get to the line at a decent clip. So.... let's use those things, right? Keep in mind I'm not even talking about those post-ups Melo craves.

IMO, we could have really used a skillset like that when we were going 0-99 from the 3pt line game 6. So it was disappointing that it wasn't something we were interested in adding. A system is great, but can become predictable, gameplanned against... adding a new dynamic helps you maintain the edge.

I was also mildly disappointed that MDA didn't add a new wrinkle to this offense (but an old wrinkle from PHX) by letting Melo operate a little from the high post like Boris Diaw used to.

I feel like there were some missed opportunities to squeeze some juice out of Melo. D'antoni didn't. Fair enough. Good riddance. It's just weird to me that if you weren't planning on experimenting with those things, why bother signing him when there were better options available? Brook Lopez?

Crashlanded19 and bumbum09 like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

the problem is this isn't what a 34 year old melo is capable of. And for whatever reason there's people out there that refuse to acknowledge that. much of your post would apply when the rockets were pursuing this guy years ago when they had his poster on the wall

19. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Carmelo bobblehead removed from promo calendar. Now says TBD.

I guess kids in Somalia are getting 3,000 toys for xmas

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Perhaps so. Why sign him then.