1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj Blows Stern Up

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DimeDropper, Oct 28, 2012.

1. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

Apologies if this article was previously discussed. I'll add an aside that Yahoo! Sports is actually the only sports media outlet with complete journalistic integrity. They basically break all of the stories. What you're about to read is shockingly direct, IMO:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--d...promote-the-myth-of-david-stern-25321709.html

(nb: not behind a paywall, so freely quoting per Fair Use)

David Stern's final act as NBA commissioner: Promote the myth of David Stern

The biggest ego in the history of the sport, the emperor of the NBA gets everything he ever wanted now: 15 months of farewells and bows; a tidy 30 years to fit onto his Hall of Fame plaque; and a chance to repair and repackage a legacy that NBA commissioner David Stern had slowly, surely lost the power to manipulate.

For all the public proclamations, here's been the overwhelming league response to Stern's decision to leave the job on Feb. 1, 2014: a long, exasperated sigh, and a wish that his successor, Adam Silver, would be taking over sooner.

Stern still has work to do; promoting the work of David Stern. Here comes his victory tour, the tender one-on-one sitdowns, the testimonials, basketball's favorite fable and bedtime story about how Stern made Magic and Bird in the 1980s, Jordan in the '90s, about how no one else ever would've landed big, fat television deals for people to watch them play basketball.

Stern has been an excellent, opportunistic businessman. He did not inspire those under him, but ruled them with fear. He's shown a good heart, too, advocated social change for greater goods. Through it all, Stern reveled in the intimidation of league office employees, referees, general managers, coaches and players. Most thought that's why Stern would stay on the job forever, because he seemed to get such pleasure out of it.

These 15 months aren't about Silver's transition into the commissioner's job, but Stern's elevation into the sport's almighty. Why now? After the world found out how Stern controls whose voice will be heard on his state-run television, he changed the conversation from people ridiculing his petty, self-centered management style to people exulting his vision.

.... (much, much more)

2 people like this.
  2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Terrific article.

3. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Excellent read ... next year, perhaps the Rockets can get fair calls from officials

4. munco

munco Member

Thank god. This fairwell tour is going to be disgusting.

Stern is a smug snake. Hopefully the pr propaganda machine won't brainwash ppl into thinking otherwise.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Stern is a national treasure.

6. rolyat93

rolyat93 Member

A true pro, I hope he retires a Rocket.

1 person likes this.
  7. BamBam

BamBam Member

Stern is America's "Mother Teresa"....;)

8. jacoby

jacoby Member

FTFY.

1 person likes this.
  9. eman

eman Member

Stern did more to advance black people in this society than any white man had done since Lincoln. That said, he can take his basketball reasons and shove them up his asterisk.

10. Prince

Prince Member

Retire In Peace Stern, RIP.

1 person likes this.
  11. Raven

Raven Member

Yep, and the icing on the cake is his Black replacement. Oh wait, my bad, his replacement is the same ethnicity as he is.

12. leroy

leroy Member

Do you guys really think that David Stern is sitting there in his office saying, "Let's see how we can screw the Rockets over today..."?

Get over it. I, for one, am glad we don't have Pau Gasol. I'd much rather build around a much younger James Harden than try to squeeze a couple more productive years out of Gasol...a player that had no interest in being a Rocket.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'll never forgive Mauri for not getting stern.

1 person likes this.
  14. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I never wanted Gasol and I think he's soft as Charmin, but the prospect of us having got Nene with it for the frontcourt was what was pretty alluring.

15. KDJ3

KDJ3 Member

I have never been one to proclaim "Stern is intentionally screwing over the Rockets". I DO, however, believe that he has taken credit for things that he had nothing to do with and has choreographed the NBA into looking like his own little country that he oversees.

I felt as if Woj was writing a political article on a dictator. Very very well done

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Woj is GREAT.

His articles are spot on, but the rest of Yahoo journalism is just a flat out joke. Their articles are the most gimme attention because I'm begging for it type of crap.

Is Adam Silver really jewish?

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is why Woj will never jump to ESPN.

18. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Silver as a last name?? Akin to Gold...Stein...

19. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

Beaner, mate, you're way off base here. Charles Robinson, to name one, has broken more stories than all of ESPN combined. In fact, ESPN waits for Yahoo! to break the story then plagiarizes them by claiming "their sources tell them" the same thing. Across the board the Yahoo! guys can only draw attention to themselves by breaking stories. The ESPN guys are paid shills for the leagues they cover and they actually work to cover up the stories.

20. redlawn

redlawn Member

David Stern is looking really handsome this year.