1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Woj] Anthony Davis traded to Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mikol13, Jun 15, 2019.

1. MD_in_Training

Perhaps. Or perhaps there’s just less interest for sports amongst millennials, as our preferred mode of entertainment seems to be social media.

If you have statistics for how many individuals are indeed watching nba games on their smart phones then that may be a cogent argument.

2. adoo

adoo Member

stats show that the TV rating for all sports---nfl, mlb, nhl, ncaa football, march madness, olympics, world cup---
    have been declining, not just the NBA.

the fact that souvenir/jersey sales continue to trend upward suggests that interest in sports has not waned.​

on this basis, it's fair to say that

the TV rating is not truly reflective of the fans' interest

there is a need to capture sports viewership on smart phones​

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

People don't consume sports like they used to. The ratings for all sports have gone down over the past few years. Even the Super Bowl ratings have gone down. I wouldn't be surprised if TV viewership in general has also gone down. Cord cutting and streaming have gone up.

An increasing number of consumers "watch" the NBA through Twitter, memes, boards like these, YouTube highlights, and GIFs. I think those are the consumers the NBA is targeting and by extension the networks would be smart to target them as well. The NBA, other leagues, and the networks that broadcast them probably won't recover their lost ratings, but they will still make money through the consumers that "follow" them more than they "watch" them.

4. MD_in_Training

I don't see how the NBA can monetize these other media avenues to any extent that would make up for the downfall of the cable networks. In fact, they currently have zero revenue from Twitter, Youtube, forums, memes, etc. To suggest that in the next 5 years, they can create revenue generating empires from these platforms is far fetched. The old system benefitted the NBA (and all leagues) because networks like ESPN took a disproportionately large share of the revenue from cable. Therefore, old grandmas that bought cable packages to watch Lifetime were actually paying for sports. Once this paradigm ends, league revenue will come back down to earth.

This doesn't bode well for any sport, but the NFL is far better positioned than the NBA to maintain their share of TV revenue. Not many televised events generate 100 million unique pairs of eyes.

#384 MD_in_Training, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    plutoblue11 likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Regardless from Kawhi, Cousins could sign a short term deal following his friend AD.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

gatsby likes this.
  9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'm sure CP3 is not a fan of teams trading players they have committed to while under contract. If it's ok for the teams to do....

10. JW86

JW86 Member

This guy is an attention w****, a hypocrite on top of it, since he built a superteam and I'm glad both Nick & Carter called him out on his nonsense. AD was going to play out his contract.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I wonder what the NFL ratings would be without fantasy football. I know a lot of people, especially the last 5 years or so that you would not assume watch sports at all that got sucked into fantasy football and really enjoy it.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

A lot of people are just outright dismissing this, they should not.

If he wants to be a Laker 100% he'd re-sign or make it very clear that he plans on re-signing.

We've seen this song and dance so many times and usually...the guy leaves.

I don't know if there is a great chance he leaves the Lakers, but if they start to struggle and are bounced from the playoffs unceremoniously, he just might do it, at this point it's very clear that he's willing to be wined and dined and once guys are at that point anything can happen.

Guys that want to stay usually make it very clear they want to stay by re-signing or just simply saying it.

Guys that are open to leaving make the comments AD made.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

guys that may eventually find out they don't like playing for Lebron tend to keep doors open and bridges unburned

15. s3ts

s3ts Member

Bumping this. The rollercoaster on AD trade is something to reflect on as Harden/Russ both are looking to get traded as well.

NOLA first said no to LAL offers, Magic Johnson got fined, and then later on they traded AD.

At the time when NOLA first rejected LAL's offers, I saw a lot of people saying it was dumb to reject it.

Later when the trade actually happened, I saw more people praising NOLA for how they handled the situation.

I'd say waiting to see how the season plays out, at least until the trading deadline will help the Rockets land a better trade partner as the teams will get more desperate to make a key move to help their chances of winning.

Curious to hear other people's opinions on AD's trade and any learning lessons on this.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe true in the US but globally NFL can't hold a candle to the NBA. NBA has in a way already monetized games in the digital age via League Pass. There's a reason why NBA is bending over backwards for China.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All waiting on Giannis.