1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wizards hire Sam Cassell as an assistant coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by magnetik, May 21, 2009.

1. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Good luck Sam.. this is just the first step to a head coaching position..

link

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

nice to see that Sam can still find a way to talk an officials ear off even if his isnt playing on the court

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i'll go to games next year just to cheer for sam..

4. Asian Sensation

I loved Cassell's game. His big ball strut was also one of the funniest things ever. Good luck Sam I Am.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I wonder if Cassell can coach people how to grow balls. I can think of a lot teams that need a coach like that.

6. tested911

tested911 Member

Man I feel so old I can remember when Sam joined the team.. Where has the time flown. :(

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He should be ok as an assitant coach.

I love Sam but I have a hard time seeing him as a head coach.

He is competitive and loves to bark at his own teammates (now players). His players will tire of him and eventually and just tune him out.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well . . . Nash didn't
    He stated he learned alot from Sam

Hopefully Big Sam will help alot of others

Rocket River

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, this is my thought -- but of course i'm wishing a Rocket hero all the best.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Congrats to Sam. This just stinks because he's one of the few remaining stars I grew up watching that were still playing. Kind of makes you feel old!

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

There will be more UFO's being seen by the white house now.

12. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

I expect Sam to be a head coach in 2 to 3 years. Might follow the footsteps of Avery Johnson. :D

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/17/AR2009061703508.html

WIZARDS INSIDER

Young Seeing Progress in Workouts

Workouts with [Flip] Saunders and his staff have been helpful, [Nick] Young said. "After you're done, you feel like you've accomplished something," Young said of his summer workouts. "I see good progress out there. It's a great feeling. You want to go take a nap" afterward.

Young said [Sam] Cassell has already told him that he plans on working with Young when he goes to Los Angeles this summer. After an up-and-down individual season and a 19-63 campaign for the team, Young's purpose this offseason is obvious.

"I just want to come back motivated, with a chip on my shoulder. I want to see more minutes."

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/outlet/2009/jun/12/twenty-minutes-in-gilberts-shaddow/

"I can just tell he respects and appreciates me," Arenas said. "I'm excited to work with him, Sam Cassell, everybody on that staff."

Arenas said Cassell worked him out last Monday, and already he was able to come away with some valuable tips.

On other Wizards fronts, according to insiders, they have yet to make any trade offers to opposing teams, and are simply in the exploratory stages of checking their options as far as that No. 5 pick goes both as trade bait, or as a selection for themselves. I -- and everybody else monitoring the team -- think the Wizards still are likely to trade the pick. It's just a matter of when and for what.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He should definitely teach the players how to "phone home" in case any emergencies happen away from home.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cassell is passing down knowledge of the legends of the Rudy T championships.

Keep in mind he helped the Clippers make the playoffs. If Arenas and Nick Young go crazy next year, I'm crediting Cassell.