1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wizards Broadcast goes off the rails

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Jan 5, 2022.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

BROADCASTER MOCKS TRAGIC DEATH OF CHILD

DreamShook, Nook and Fulgore like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Bron seems to speak what's on his mind immediately rather than take a step back and understand the issue. No different when he opened his mouth about Morey.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, easy when u don’t bother to do 1 iota of research…next time he should before just bringing up someone’s father to not look so stupid in the future

when a Christian Wood Jr enters the league years from now, that will be Christian Wood’s son because they were both in the NBA

groovemachine likes this.
  4. csc177

csc177 Member

Same take I had when I heard it live.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Yeah I don't buy it. He would be fully aware if a former Wizards player had a son on the rockets. And if he really thought that, then he isn't good enough at his job to be employed for failure to know how to google

6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

ITS CANCEL TIME
    WHO DO WE CANCEL
    LET ME AT THEM

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

his main alibi is that referencing KPJr’s actual father would be too heinous a thing to say on live TV…I think he just assumed that was his son…same name, both black, both NBA players = father and son…no further research or thought required

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, welcome to the world of NBA tv/radio talking heads (this is actually the wizards radio analyst filling in for TV).

Do you think Shaq or Chuck or Reggie Miller or Tom Tolbert do an iota of research before picking up the microphone, or that Bill or Clyde did?

These old dudes never do **** and just talk about the lost art of the midrange or Don Maclean whining about how James Harden cheats the game by being better than everybody else.

I actually consider McLean's rant on Harden in 2018 to be more offensive/firing-worthy than mistaking who Porter's dad is.

10. SamFisher

Wait, what, the Washington Wizards second-string TV analyst is not meeting expectations?

HIGHLY UNUSUAL THIS IS THE WASHINGTON WIZARDS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT - failure is not tolerated.

BigM, KingCheetah and Nook like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

you’re bringing up the lowest of the low’s to make your point

Shaq, Chuck, Clyde? U serious?

the good ones do bother to do a little bit of research…the lazy ones don’t

he’s been with the Wizards for 22 years…you’d think he’d know if Kevin Porter actually had a son playing for the Rockets

ok cool, we’re not here to compare who did what

12. Nook

Nook Member

I find it highly unlikely that he said it on purpose....

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I legitimately feel bad for everyone here.

KPJ didn't deserve to have his moment overshadowed by this. I feel bad for him that he'll be asked about it today and it will likely get played a lot throughout his career. Sucks.

It initially sounded bad but it was obvious there was some sort of mix-up. Are we actually believing that a broadcaster would do that maliciously? I mean, you would have to be a very sick individual to think that would go over on a broadcast.

He is definitely guilty of not doing his homework. That's fair game. But jumping to the worst and trying to get him fired was over the top, in my opinion.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

End of discussion. Any other take is stupid.

Announcer is just guilty of poor research. To assume he would do something so malicious is silly.

Nook and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’ll share my opinion even though no one asked

They way I see it is this : either you ...

A) believe this guy researched KPJ’s real father in the unlikely case that KPJ hit a big shot and then could maliciously use the phrase “pull the trigger” to rain on his parade and ??

B) he thought kpj was the son of KP and/ or just wanted to say something he thought was cool to “commentate” on the game

classic oops moment . Was in no way intentional toward KPJ’s actual father . Should be done with it . It’s horrible that KPJ lost his father at an early age and the connection to “pulling the trigger” is also highly unfortunate... but what’s the commentator supposed to do ? Not use that phrase with black players ?

any outrage expressed at this is grasping at straws. the guy should face no repercussions from this ... and unless he was already horrible at his job and you were just looking for an excuse to fire him , should definitely not lose his job .

Kpj didn’t hear the call in person . If you were watching the rockets broadcast you didn’t hear it . If you were watching the wizards cast you might have not paid attention . Your first reaction if you heard that and were curious was prolly to look up KP on basketball reference . It’s only if you already knew him / were family that the comment made an impact and hurt ... and it definitely coulda hurt ...

But then on reflection you prolly come to the conclusion that unless this dude was some diabolical manipulative master ... that it was just a mistake . He apologized , time to move on .

just my 2 cents

edit. Going along with what @Clutch said ... I do feel bad for everyone .. and it’s OUR choice to let this overshadow KPJ’s short and it’s whatever neurosis we all have that is made this a discussion. Like I’m sure KPJ might not want people researching his father lol

once you think to yourself , IMO, it becomes obvious it was a mistake and we can focus back on the shot and what a shot it was . KPJ pulled the trigger like james harden and had full confidence. I love his potential and hope he keeps growing into being his own player

#115 snowconeman22, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. SamFisher

This particular announcer's signature move is to compare everyone to Earl the Pearl Monroe, who last suited up for the Wizards (then Baltimore Bullets) in 1972.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Another thing is that we do have a player who is a son of a former player (Kenyon Martin Jr.). Maybe that made him think it was Porter Jr. who was the former son, in the moment.

18. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

People love controversy. That's all this is. The guy did not do it on purpose

AroundTheWorld and napalm06 like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Could the guy say it in private or when he thinks he is off the air? Absolutely, there are lots of ******** out there....... but there is no way that he would say it on the broadcast because he would risk being fired, he and his family would get hate mail and be threatened.

Then again........ does anyone thing that the Thunder broadcaster would say "cotton picking" on purpose so he could be suspended and lose his job?

Broadcasters are constantly talking and they sometimes say what they are thinking...... but I think with the fact that there is a former player that was a great passer on the franchise the broadcaster announces for with the exact same name, we give him the benefit of the doubt... the fact we have KJJR also leads me to believe it was an innocent mistake.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There's also the question of why would you commit career suicide by randomly insulting the obscure criminal history of a b-level player's father?

He reached out to Porter and it's up to him, his employer and Porter to come to terms.

It bothers me when wannabe-thought-leader celebrities like Lebron immediately pile on with an emotional response that stirs bias and make everything worse.

It seems reasonable to wait for Porter to talk to the guy and then make a statement.

slothy420 and AroundTheWorld like this.